Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 164 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to give him credit would probably be the closest player in my time to Gazza Jr coming into the game having to follow in his fathers footsteps pressure wise. Will be rated as one of the greatest Father/Son combos to play the game. Something we will probably never seen with Dustys future offspring. That is if he has them and they make it to this level

Got to give him credit would probably be the closest player in my time to Gazza Jr coming into the game having to follow in his fathers footsteps pressure wise. Will be rated as one of the greatest Father/Son combos to play the game. Something we will probably never seen with Dustys future offspring. That is if he has them and they make it to this level
Ablett SNR far bigger footsteps to follow than papa daicos imo.
Plus, josh kinda softened it a little too.

Nick and goat is stupidly premature.

Ablett SNR far bigger footsteps to follow than papa daicos imo.
Plus, josh kinda softened it a little too.

Nick and goat is stupidly premature.
Yep true but still pretty big shoes to fill. no matter what club you play for following a father who is rated so highly would be tough.nNo sure if he can be the GOAT but he will be a bloody good player for a ling time if he stays injury free.

The simple answer is Yes.

Is he the GOAT? Obviously not but that isn’t the question asked.
Can he be the GOAT? Of coarse he can.

Nick is two seasons in and so far has not missed a beat.
If he keeps going at this rate only a fool would say he couldn’t be the GOAT.
And there are a few young players that could also be the GOAT, as their careers are just beginning and the future is unknown.
So the answer to the question has to be yes, same as if someone asked if Gulden could be the GOAT.
Not now but he could be in 10 years.

Stupid thread and stupid question.

Y
As I said, people are either simplistically binary and judge a player based on how many awards they win, or don't win, or....

People like me look at a player's career - someone like Greg Williams - and have him comfortably in the top 10 players they have seen play the game, and whether they won 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 Brownlows, wouldn't change one iota about how highly they rate them. They still played at the level they played at throughout their career.
Yeah but diesel was a massive penis head who complained constantly and everyone hated him.

So he’s null and void.

The most hyped young recent talent that comes to mind was Jack Watts at Melbourne..we all know how that went. A lead balloon.

Nick is so far ahead of any other young player like that as he superseded the expectations that were put on him. Which is impressive from that point alone.

While Nick is clearly not GOAT now, he has had the greatest start to a career in the modern era considering his age. I don't think the likes of Melbourne, the most similar team to the Pies, will ever have a player like Nick in their history or future which already points to GOAT potential.

Judd is perhaps the closest, but that was an older, easier era compared to today's standards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most hyped young recent talent that comes to mind was Jack Watts at Melbourne..we all know how that went. A lead balloon.

Nick is so far ahead of any other young player like that as he superseded the expectations that were put on him. Which is impressive from that point alone.

While Nick is clearly not in GOAT contention, he has had the greatest start to a career in the modern error considering his age. I don't think the likes of Melbourne, a similar team to Pies, will ever have a player like Nick.

Judd is perhaps the closest, but that was an older, easier era compared to today's standards.
I would have Rowell and even O’meara in similar standing
Even to that first year similar to Judd Rowell was absolutely incredible before he copped that injury

Almost a shame that he has been playing more of an defensive inside mid role the last few years so we aren’t seeing some of that stuff that made him so exciting in that first year
Be interesting if Hardwick changes his role to utilise his explosiveness

I would have Rowell and even O’meara in similar standing
Even to that first year similar to Judd Rowell was absolutely incredible before he copped that injury

Almost a shame that he has been playing more of an defensive inside mid role the last few years so we aren’t seeing some of that stuff that made him so exciting in that first year
Be interesting if Hardwick changes his role to utilise his explosiveness
O'Meara was nowhere near the level Nick Daicos has played at in his first two years.

Rowell burst onto the scene in his first four games, but that's all it lasted.

We're talking about a guy who was the clear Rising Star Winner in Year 1, and the clear leader of all individual home and away awards in year 2 until a late season injury, who returned under duress to be instrumental and influential in two finals to result in a Collingwood premiership.

Unprecedented.

O'Meara was nowhere near the level Nick Daicos has played at in his first two years.

We're talking about a guy who was the clear Rising Star Winner in Year 1, and the clear leader of all individual home and away awards in year 2 until a late season injury, who returned under duress to be instrumental and influential in two finals to result in a Collingwood premiership.

Unprecedented.
Like I said Rowell got injured but those 4 games are still the benchmark for a players impact as a first year player

Also highlights how role can factor into a player being rated or not by the public and umpires (Brownlow) and unfortunately how it only takes one injury that can dramatically change a player’s progression

Rowell was literally still in the discussion for the rising star at the end of the year despite only playing 4 games

Like I said Rowell got injured but those 4 games are still the benchmark for a players impact as a first year player

Also highlights how role can factor into a player being rated or not by the public and umpires (Brownlow) and unfortunately how it only takes one injury that can dramatically change a player’s progression

Rowell was literally still in the discussion for the rising star at the end of the year despite only playing 4 games
I for one was pushing Rowell as the Rising Star despite only playing those first four games. But you're right - injury has hampered him, his role has changed, and he hasn't played anywhere near the level of his first four games.

Daicos is a different story - he has continued to deliver to the point he has delivered more in his first two seasons than any other player has in my 4 plus decades of watching footy.

Unprecedented.

Imagine how far and away Rowell’s first year would’ve been if he didn’t get injured.

Or are the injury hypotheticals only for little Nicky.

Sorry Fadge but Daicos can’t possibly be the GOAT, that’s being saved for Errol. Maybe Daicos can someday have the title of GOATAFE (greatest of all time apart from Errol), which I concede will still be fairly prestigious given how good Errol’s going to be. But that’s it.

Should I close the thread now?

Sorry Fadge but Daicos can’t possibly be the GOAT, that’s being saved for Errol. Maybe Daicos can someday have the title of GOATAFE (greatest of all time apart from Errol), which I concede will still be fairly prestigious given how good Errol’s going to be. But that’s it.

Should I close the thread now?
I have seen Errol win hardballs before so I somewhat agree

Nick Daicos.

We have never seen a player do what he has done in his first two seasons. Many people have said he was the best first/second year player since Chris Judd. Chris Judd didn't do what Nick Daicos has done in his first two seasons.

Injury causing him to miss the final four matches of the 2023 home and away season was the only thing that stood in the way of him sweeping every individual award on offer, though he still managed to finish top three in the Brownlow, AFLCA Coaches Award and AFLPA MVP, in only his second season.

He topped off his year to return from injury for the Preliminary and Grand Final, playing influential games in both matches to be rewarded with his first premiership for the club. Reflecting on the play that resulted in the De Goey goal that put Collingwood back in front in the late stages of that game, it is highly doubtful that Collingwood win the Grand Final without Nick Daicos doing what he does best.

We need to track his career progression as he pushes for GOAT status, and what better way to do that than through use of a spreadsheet:
View attachment 1909755

I'm predicting it is a matter of when, not if, we're anointing Nick Daicos as the AFL GOAT.

Can the GOAT be a squib? Not sure about that. If he stops jumping out of the way of oncoming traffic we can begin the discussion.

And so far we’ve seen him as part of a PF team, flag team - playing loose across half back, taking kick outs, getting loads of uncontested handball receives in a top team. His football life won’t be any easier than it has been thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can the GOAT be a squib? Not sure about that. If he stops jumping out of the way of oncoming traffic we can begin the discussion.

And so far we’ve seen him as part of a PF team, flag team - playing loose across half back, taking kick outs, getting loads of uncontested handball receives in a top team. His football life won’t be any easier than it has been thus far.

Yet the squib’s most defining moment of his career so far was a hard ball get opposing one of the best ball winners of the generation with 5 minutes to go in a close grand final which set up the most important goal of the game.

Unprecedented.

Tony Modra played 8 games in his debut season, he then kicked 129 goals in his second year of footy in games 9-32 of his career. He was a bit older, but there have been better second years than Naicos’s.

Brad Hardie won the Brownlow in his first year in the big leagues.

Haydn Bunton won the Brownlow in his first 2 seasons of football as a 19yo then 20yo.

John Coleman kicked 100-goals in his debut season as a 20yo.

Dick Reynolds won the Brownlow in 1934 at 19yo.

Naicos has had a great first 2 seasons, but there have been plenty that have surpassed it.

Last edited:
When a player is such a good ball user and decision maker in the way GAJ was, and Nick Daicos is, why wouldn't a team do everything they can to get the ball into the hands of these players when they are in space.

Notwithstanding the fact that players like GAJ and N. Daicos get so many possessions that they actually generally rack up more contested possessions than 99% of other players in the competition... people have to resort to % of possessions as contested to talk these players down...
Nick Daicos will never reach the level of Gary Ablett because he has no power in his game. :)

That is the key difference between Nick Daicos and the actual GOAT contenders of the modern game. Players like Judd, Ablett, Martin had power in their games, Nick Daicos does not. :)

Notwithstanding media hype and the usual fans overrating their own players, Daicos will go down in the same tier of players as Nick Dal Santo, Lachie Neale, Sam Mitchell, Trent Cotchin, Scott Pendlebury and the like. That is nothing to scoff at, they are all great players, just not GOAT contenders. :)

Unprecedented.
While his early-career form certainly is unprecedented, it does not change the fact that early career form doesn't always provide an accurate reflection of one's career. :)

As many have pointed out to you already, there are plenty of players with excellent form early in their career, but they could not sustain it to the end. Will that be the case for Daicos? Not necessarily, but becoming the "GOAT" is not the foregone conclusion you're insistent on having people believe :)

I would also refrain from using the Rising Star award in any arguments in relating to the "GOAT". :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back