Who will have the better career?

• Nick Daicos

Votes: 204 61.8%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 126 38.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So was Bryce Gibbs, means nothing.
Point taken on Gibbs but I’m not sure it means nothing. There will always be isolated examples of gun juniors failing to make it, but broadly speaking a player’s performances in junior/U18 competitions is still a good, albeit not infallible, indicator of their likelihood to succeed at the top level

Both special players who will win multiple AAs, both will probably be the best player in the comp at some stage, Walsh will get there first though, I feel Daicos is much more exciting to watch though.

2022: Sinclair/Saad
2021: Rich/Dale
2020: Haynes/Byrne-Jones
2019: Houli/Hurn
2018: Hurn/Whitfield

Until Daicos can prove he can do it in the middle this is the calibre of player he is competing against for AA selection.

Wouldn’t be pencilling in multiple AA’s when as it stands he can’t make the squad in the easiest position on the ground. Can see him potentially nabbing one in a weaker year through his prime, so not for a while.

Not sure why we are comparing a 1st year player to a 4th year mid

Both players have different attributes, both will be stars of the game
Correct. I’d be happy with either. Walsh has more runs on the board, but Daicos will no doubt put some more on too in coming years.

I think both will be stars.

Point taken on Gibbs but I’m not sure it means nothing. There will always be isolated examples of gun juniors failing to make it, but broadly speaking a player’s performances in junior/U18 competitions is still a good, albeit not infallible, indicator of their likelihood to succeed at the top level
Few take to senior footy as Sam Walsh did mate and he went straight into the guts, our friend here is saying Daicos is better, better at what, back pocket half back. Until he goes into the midfield we won't know.

While Walsh played more through the middle of the ground than Daicos, his contested possession %, centre clearances and stoppage clearance numbers are similar to that of a half back flanker/ loose running wingman.

As a mid, he’s very outside. And that’s where he is effective. I can see Daicos playing a similar role to Walsh in the future. They have very similar styles.

Few take to senior footy as Sam Walsh did mate and he went straight into the guts, our friend here is saying Daicos is better, better at what, back pocket half back. Until he goes into the midfield we won't know.
I think he asked "who will have the better career"

So maybe anyone who wants, can just revisit this thread each year and give their progress report.

At the moment I have Walsh ahead.

I agree with that, was merely saying that since Daicos killed it as a junior in the middle, there’s a decent chance he’ll do well as a midfielder at AFL level too. Walsh went straight into the middle because Carlton desperately needed him to. Collingwood had plenty of experienced bodies already in there when Daicos arrived. I don’t think giving him an apprenticeship in the backline will end up being a bad call to be honest. Did wonders for Callum Mills.

I agree with that, was merely saying that since Daicos killed it as a junior in the middle, there’s a decent chance he’ll do well as a midfielder at AFL level too. Walsh went straight into the middle because Carlton desperately needed him to. Collingwood had plenty of experienced bodies already in there when Daicos arrived. I don’t think giving him an apprenticeship in the backline will end up being a bad call to be honest. Did wonders for Callum Mills.
I never said that Daicos won't do well, he looks a great future player.

You always seem to have a sook when anything negative is said about Carton or a Carlton player, are they all perfect or something?
Don't ever say anything negative about anyone else, you may get called a hypocrite.
A sook? Haha I think you have the wrong person. Anyway like I said Dow has nothing to do with this thread - was the only point I was making. And now I'm a hypocrite for stating a fact - you make me laugh.

Sam Walsh is the better player quite comfortably in my opinion. Daicos is handy though, just like Darren Kappler was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This even a question? Walsh, accomplished more without having cheap touches at HB. He’ll be getting 40 disposals in his prime, I think he even has a couple of times already.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Daicos is getting 40 touches now, and he’s about 7 years off his peak

It's difficult to predict .....

We have a better idea with Walsh, because 4 seasons into his career, we have a body of work to evaluate, and injuries permitting, he will be a top, top player. Certainly a multiple AA, and possibly a Brownlow winner.

Daicos, is harder to judge, because it's only been one season, and that's not a large sample size.

They both had similar First Years, although Daicos padded his disposal stats by taking kick-ins, so it should be an interesting debate going forward.

Hard to tell who will be the better player but I rate Walsh's first season higher mostly because of the roles they played within their teams.
Its just easier to shine as a HBF as a first year player. Don't get me wrong though Daicos couldn't really have done more in that position but Walsh's first season was exceptional in his own right.

Isnt there an entire board for threads like this? Why hasnt this been moved there

It always turns into a game of cat and mouse between Collingwood and Carlton supporters. You wouldn't find the 2 sharing time together in Tropicana's heat I tell ya.. watching the waves break on the bhaaaaay.. oh soft white sands.. a blue lagoon.. cocktail time.. a summer's thuuhuune.. a whole night's holidayhayhay.. oops.. sorry I got carried.. oh God. Haha. Shit.

Last edited:
It always turns into a game of cat and mouse between Collingwood and Carlton supporters. You wouldn't find the 2 sharing time together in Tropicana's heat I tell ya.. watching the waves break on the bhaaaaay.. oh soft white sands.. a blue lagoon.. cocktail time.. a summer's tune.. a while night's holidayhayhay.. oops.. sorry I got carried.. oh God. Haha. s**t.
I'd have a drink with you mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Nick Daicos or Sam Walsh?

Back