Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

I would play him in a grand final, yes. Not for a qualifier

If a doctor said there was a definite risk, then I wouldnt play him.

Doctor Google says" Can you experience complications after a tibial plateau fracture? There is a high likelihood that you will fully recover from a tibial plateau fracture. After a few months, you should not have any complications. After non surgical plateau tibial fracture, 100% return to sports if they were doing it before.

Tibial plateau fractures injure the joint surface cartilage. The injured knee joint can develop arthritis. The symptoms include pain with use, stiffness, swelling, and inability to tolerate exercise, stairs, or running."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of guesswork going here including me.

But on the balance of probabilities he won't be 100% come qualifying final time so it's more than likely we'll err on the side of sensible caution until our next game.

You certainly don't risk long term damage for a game that is not must win.

Look, I agree you don’t risk the little master, but this match is essentially must-win. The winner of this match would be a shoo-in for an MCG-staged GF, the loser probably has to play Carlton at the MCG in an elimination game, followed by Brisbane at the Gabba. That’s like being flushed down the dunny.

”Tibial plateau fractures injure the joint surface cartilage. The injured knee joint can develop arthritis. The symptoms include pain with use, stiffness, swelling, and inability to tolerate exercise, stairs, or running."
Hate to disagree with Dr. Google there but that is not strictly true. Not all tibial plateau fractures involve the joint (“articular”) surface. In fact many do not.

If the fracture does not involve the articular surface, and is not displaced, then there is minimal additional risk of developing arthritis providing the athlete follows the standard protocols.

Hate to disagree with Dr. Google there but that is not strictly true. Not all tibial plateau fractures involve the joint (“articular”) surface. In fact many do not.

If the fracture does not involve the articular surface, and is not displaced, then there is minimal additional risk of developing arthritis providing the athlete follows the standard protocols.

I think it's obvious that this isn't a serious version of this type of injury. He is walking and in bad cases, he wouldn't be doing that for many weeks.

I'm not an expert in injuries but if he goes into a game with a hairline fracture, he might come out of it with something worse. If they x-rayed him after the injury and they could see the fracture and they xray next week and it has vanished, then he will probably play.....and then we can confirm him as our saviour and worship him the sunday after at st. pats in downtown melb.

Look, I agree you don’t risk the little master, but this match is essentially must-win. The winner of this match would be a shoo-in for an MCG-staged GF, the loser probably has to play Carlton at the MCG in an elimination game, followed by Brisbane at the Gabba. That’s like being flushed down the dunny.

It's your choice, but I shudder when I see nick referred to as ths same nickname as gary ablett jnr. Cant we make up something original to call him....the macedonian thor?...not that I'm suggesting that but surely we can do something better than a rerun of the ablett nickname.

You're either using AI or were/are a doctor...:)

Is there any truth to the idea that this type of injury can cause long-term damage if players return too soon? Of course, case by case is probably the biggest factor.

Perfect analogy.

I'm not an expert in injuries but if he goes into a game with a hairline fracture, he might come out of it with something worse.
Yep, that’s the concern. But the x-ray won’t show a fracture suddenly vanishing, you typically get a white, cloudy appearance around the fracture site which indicates cells have moved into the area to lay down new bone.

It's your choice, but I shudder when I see nick referred to as ths same nickname as gary ablett jnr. Cant we make up something original to call him....the macedonian thor?...not that I'm suggesting that but surely we can do something better than a rerun of the ablett nickname.
That’s fair. Happy to take suggestions on board!

Is there any truth to the idea that this type of injury can cause long-term damage if players return too soon? Of course, case by case is probably the biggest factor.
Yes, absolutely, and particularly if the fracture does involve the joint line or is depressed (think unstable foundations for a building). That articular surface collapses or develops a step deformity and he’ll be a knee replacement candidate later in life.

Yes, absolutely, and particularly if the fracture does involve the joint line or is depressed (think unstable foundations for a building). That articular surface collapses or develops a step deformity and he’ll be a knee replacement candidate later in life.

I think we all agree that if we win the premiership, we'd be happy to see nick in a wheelchair later in his life. I see it as an acceptable price to pay...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back