Nick Maxwell finishes 5th in b and f

Remove this Banner Ad

don't know about 5th place, I assume maxwell polls well in the key criteria used for this award. Anyway, in the games I saw this year Maxwell played consistent good footy, replete with the 1%'s he's renowned for. Maybe not as good as 2009 but not that far off and massive improvement on 2011.

I don't know what pace you think he dropped off? Certainly wasn't the pace of his teammates in the backline or the team in general.

So you rate players who get ball run 15m bomb on top of a 2v1 or 3v1 or miss the target entirely as good?

Well done Maxy, had a good year, when he was fit he was easily in our best 10 players each week, but injuries did curtail him a little bit.

I was a little shocked he beat the likes of Jolly and Blair home, maybe 2 spots higher than deserved, but he is rated that highly within the club that I can understand how he got fifth.

No problem with it at all.

It is not about being the 5th best player. B & F votes are awarded in a very different way to Brownlow or media awards. He will have received votes based on his ability to fulfil certain roles given to him from match to match. Whist Nick is not blessed with natural talent he does have an amazing ability to follow instruction and inspire those around him. When he misses games our defence is poorer. It is a fitting reward for a great of our club.

It is not about being the 5th best player. B & F votes are awarded in a very different way to Brownlow or media awards. He will have received votes based on his ability to fulfil certain roles given to him from match to match. Whist Nick is not blessed with natural talent he does have an amazing ability to follow instruction and inspire those around him. When he misses games our defence is poorer. It is a fitting reward for a great of our club.

Disagree.

What is this thread supposed to achieve?
All Australian years?He has only had one 2009.
Thought he had a handful of very good games this year,we all know he isn't blessed with super talent.

He bleeds black and white and no one should question his effort and desire when he pulls on the Collingwood jumper.
Great leader IMO.
All thats true , no ones questioning any of that , no one ever will.

The threads outlining that we either had a really bad year , or even contribution year from 4th down , because to be honest , i couldnt say maxwell would have been our fifth best player all year on a consistency basis

So you rate players who get ball run 15m bomb on top of a 2v1 or 3v1 or miss the target entirely as good?
club obviously does ... yep that was a flaw in his and others games this year for sure. overall i do rate him as a good footballer. if he could consistently drill 40 or 50m passes down forwards next instead of bomb clearances I'd rate him more than good ...

Don't think it's unfair to disagree Opti.

He played 20 games and was solid. Jolly played the same number, including all three finals (one within which Maxwell was shithouse!) and was dominant. Same points?!

I still reckon he was about the 10 mark, and that's not being disrespectful, as I love Max (in a completely asexual manner).

Disagree.
I honestly couldn't agree more with Jmac.

The award is for fulfilling roles within the team structure, not every player on the field has to play an attacking role. Not every player has to be flashy, and gather 20+ disposals every week, sometimes it's enough for a player to have a ripper game by shutting down their opponent, leading players on the ground and being the figure who does the hard yards, without necessarily being noticed by the public.

I'm surprised that all the people who are complaining about Maxxy being top 5 aren't complaining that Daisy is higher up the order.

If you look at how consistent Maxwell was compared to the likes of O'Brien, Reid and Brown, I think its obvious why he was considered out best backman for the year, and in the top 5.

Apparently most herre thinks it is awarded like Brownlow votes for some reason.

Does anyone here know what the voting criteria for the Copeland is? Is it possible - just possible - that leadership is one of the criteria? Obviously most seem not to think so, and want it simply awarded just to the most skilled. However, it appears the club isn't so stupid as this.

Without knowing the criteria used for awarding votes, its impossible for me to have an informed opinion on this subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think it's unfair to disagree Opti.

He played 20 games and was solid. Jolly played the same number, including all three finals (one within which Maxwell was shithouse!) and was dominant. Same points?!

I still reckon he was about the 10 mark, and that's not being disrespectful, as I love Max (in a completely asexual manner).

I would had him pegged about 6 or 7 prior to the count, So fifth isn't that majorly unexpected.

My issue is for those that think he isn't best 22 let alone 18 and should relinquish the captaincy (and unless it goes to ball the decision is wrong)

Yeah so true, he is the best leader at the club by a country mile. And as you said, Ball would be second. Pendles is a very deserving vice captain, but he just doesnt have the same 'mongrel' about him. Dont get me wrong, he IS a tough player, but Maxxy has a little something extra.

Possibly its because his skills arent that great, he makes up for it in determination and leadership? I dunno, just spitballing, but he is a born leader, and its not something he has walked into, because he's good at football.

The award is for fulfilling roles within the team structure, not every player on the field has to play an attacking role. Not every player has to be flashy, and gather 20+ disposals every week, sometimes it's enough for a player to have a ripper game by shutting down their opponent, leading players on the ground and being the figure who does the hard yards, without necessarily being noticed by the public.

I'm surprised that all the people who are complaining about Maxxy being top 5 aren't complaining that Daisy is higher up the order.

If you look at how consistent Maxwell was compared to the likes of O'Brien, Reid and Brown, I think its obvious why he was considered out best backman for the year, and in the top 5.

This is the point completely. We have players who are vastly more talented than Maxwell but in 2012 they didn't realise and/or fulfil that potential. Maxwell brings everything he's got to the game each week. Now you can argue about the quality of his football but not his heart or his leadership. Can we say that we can't question the endeavour/desire of some of his more talented team mates based on some of the performances of 2012? Would Daisy be rating his year higher than Maxwells particularly based on fulfilment of potential?

Firstly I disagree the back line looks better with Maxwell in it, not how they award the BnF. When Maxwell is out the ball movement from defence is a lot cleaner and the backline performed defensively well look at the WC game, before you retort vs the swans the whole team looked stuffed.

Secondly why would they daisy had a poor season overall.

People love Maxwell we get it but his form and skill level was not top 5 at all, I'd hazard a guess he gets extra merit for his captaincy 'role'.

I'll also add no one expects Maxwell to be 'flashy' makes me laugh that people see extremes in peoples criticism of players, like people saying Dids needs to go harder at the contest 'well he's not meant to be Luke Ball on the bottom of packs' retort.

Firstly I disagree the back line looks better with Maxwell in it, not how they award the BnF. When Maxwell is out the ball movement from defence is a lot cleaner and the backline performed defensively well look at the WC game, before you retort vs the swans the whole team looked stuffed.

Secondly why would they daisy had a poor season overall.

People love Maxwell we get it but his form and skill level was not top 5 at all, I'd hazard a guess he gets extra merit for his captaincy 'role'.

I'll also add no one expects Maxwell to be 'flashy' makes me laugh that people see extremes in peoples criticism of players, like people saying Dids needs to go harder at the contest 'well he's not meant to be Luke Ball on the bottom of packs' retort.

I can see where your coming from, and without getting into a long winded discussion about nothing. I'll sum it up quickly and swiftly.

Personally, I think that the award is more than just for the standout, flashy players. Its for the ones who have a solid season, following coaches roles and leading the team on the field. Its about rewarding those who are not rewarded by the wider community, but rather a way of saying thanks for what you have done for the year.

Again, this is only my opinion, based on how the voting has gone and how clubs I have been involved with have rewarded players.

Ohh and the line about Daisy, simple really. People are complaining that a solid player who fulfills their role is getting rewarded over someone who's flashy and does something special when they get the ball.

I can see where your coming from, and without getting into a long winded discussion about nothing. I'll sum it up quickly and swiftly.

Personally, I think that the award is more than just for the standout, flashy players. Its for the ones who have a solid season, following coaches roles and leading the team on the field. Its about rewarding those who are not rewarded by the wider community, but rather a way of saying thanks for what you have done for the year.

Again, this is only my opinion, based on how the voting has gone and how clubs I have been involved with have rewarded players.

Ohh and the line about Daisy, simple really. People are complaining that a solid player who fulfills their role is getting rewarded over someone who's flashy and does something special when they get the ball.

No there not, they are complaining someone who does his role but also has only been so so and has been poor with the footy is top 5 in a BnF over other players who also performed a role and did better like Jolly it's not about the 'flash'.

I don't think he was our 5th best player but it's the other things he provides that makes him deserve it. We saw that when we missed Maxy we were a lot poorer (apart from the WC semi). I think that his 2012 was much better than his 2011 by the way.

The argument about Maxwell won't be resolved because both sides to it are valid.

The club has spoken, let's just go with that.

Tooves was our best defender by a long way this season. Did he get beat at all? Maybe once? And his skills have improved out of sight. How he didn't finish in the top 10 is beyond me.

I'd rate Tooves and Reid above Maxy this year. You make a solid point about the b& f result.

Apparently most herre thinks it is awarded like Brownlow votes for some reason.

Does anyone here know what the voting criteria for the Copeland is? Is it possible - just possible - that leadership is one of the criteria? Obviously most seem not to think so, and want it simply awarded just to the most skilled. However, it appears the club isn't so stupid as this.

Without knowing the criteria used for awarding votes, its impossible for me to have an informed opinion on this subject.
Please enlighten me. I watched the Copeland online and saw up to 20 votes were awarded. What i dont understand is how you can give votes for leadership. Does that mean he is given votes as a Captain? Directing play? Winning the coin toss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Maxwell finishes 5th in b and f

Remove this Banner Ad

Back