AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be a lot harder to draft AFLW recruits after no state league season. Much harder than the men's comp as there is very good intel on the boys from at least 3 years out from their draft year. Not so much for the girls.

Geebus don’t say that, I’m sure there’s a way to get those girls back. I’m pretty sure clubs have traded Irish girls over the last couple of days.

Most of the international players were able to return for A-League duty post the mandatory 14 day quarantine. Won’t be a problem.

Mia King signs up to the Roos AFLW program for a further two years under coach Darren Crocker
Local Sport
HOP ON BOARD: Launceston's own Mia King will play on with North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos until the end of 2022. Picture: Phillip Biggs

HOP ON BOARD: Launceston's own Mia King will play on with North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos until the end of 2022. Picture: Phillip Biggs

The Darren Crocker-driven coaching regime has instilled further confidence in boom re-signing Mia King.
The Launceston onballer is contracted for the next two years with North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos.

The deal even extends to relocating from her family's East Launceston home so to train with the main playing group at Arden Street after a strong AFLW rookie season.
"I'm just really excited to be signing with them again - I think they're a great club. I just feel so supportive by all their staff," King said.

"I will be moving over to Melbourne after training in Tassie last year was hard with such small numbers.
"So I'm excited to be with the big group and with new coach, Darren Crocker, it's going to be a good year."
King, who was spotted by AFL Tasmania talent scout Leigh Elder single-handedly dominating her NTJFA girls' matches, did not consider or look at any other offers from rival AFLW clubs.
This comes after outgoing coach Scott Gowans led the Kangaroos to the third and second-best winning records before being forced to accept redundancy amid a range of job cuts from the pandemic that has Crocker balancing dual club mentoring roles.
"North had always been the only team I was looking at in the early stages because they've helped me through my development," King said.
King played four games at the tailend of the season until the AFLW was curtailed ahead of their semi-finals.
The early signs indicated that the 19-year-old was on the verge of pushing from a fringe player into a core midfielder after just one year.

The 2017 TSLW premiership talent, winning aged at just 16, was playing down the incremental improvement.
"It's hard to say at this point just because we're probably going to have a strong team again, but I think just focusing on my preseason, focusing on my own skills and that development will just help me keep improving my own game," King said.
"Having one season up my sleeve, I definitely feel more comfortable now playing at that level. We'll just have to wait and see, but I am really excited just to get to training."
A recent chat with Crocker on the eve of a new contract stirred up the excitement.
The pair had never crossed paths at the Roos previously.
But King was sold on what the former 165-game player can bring to the teen's game.
"In Tassie last year, I didn't see a whole lot of him, but we had a Zoom [meeting] just the other day and he is just awesome to talk to," she said.
"I think he's going to be great for the team. He was a great footballer and has a lot of knowledge of the game.
"He can bring that into our training and our game plans."
It didn't take King long to learn a touch of Crockerisms, who has remained at the club for most of the past 35 years that has included three stints as its AFL caretaker coach.
"He really just upholds the Shinboner spirit and the commitment to the club," she said, "and I think seeing him and where's he's gone will be an inspiration for the girls about that commitment and spirit of the club."

That's good news. I liked what I saw from Mia in those few games last season. She attacks the ball hard, attacks her opponent just as hard. She laid a tackle on an Adelaide player (the commentators attributed it Aileen) that almost knocked her out of her shoes it was so hard. She also showed some wonderful skills that should develop further over the coming seasons. Our midfield is looking very strong.

Hopefully the others will follow suit over the next few days.

If you don't love Mia King, you're not a football fan.

A very impressive youngster who will learn from the senior players and be a gun in a few years. Until then I can see here being a handy mid-forward who should be able to damage the opposition.

I will need to see if I can get to one of the state league games she will play in the South this season to see what she can already do at the lower level.

For those who missed the news about a couple of our former players during the week: Alison Drennan has left the Saints to join her old North buddy Jamie Stanton up at the Suns; and after playing three games with St Kilda this year, Courteney Munn has retired at the of age 21, so a bit of talent gone by the wayside there unfortunately.

Re-signing period closes 2pm tomorrow, at which point one might expect an official club announcement about the 13 players in question, including Mia King (and maybe some one-year extensions for the others already contracted, with a bit of luck).

Last edited:
For those who missed the news about a couple of our former players during the week: Alison Drennan has left the Saints to join her old North buddy Jamie Stanton up at the Suns; and after playing three games with St Kilda this year, Courteney Munn has retired at the of age 21, so a bit of talent gone by the wayside there unfortunately.

Re-signing period closes 2pm tomorrow, at which point one might expect an official club announcement about the 13 players in question, including Mia King (and maybe some one-year extensions for the others already contracted, with a bit of luck).

Courtney Munn kicked 4 on debut IIRC. StKilda really stuffed their recruiting as badly as Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As everyone knows, players coming back from an ACL reco take another season to get back to their best. Aileen Gilroy was coming back from an ACL when we saw her in the 2020 season. That was her tentative recovery season. How good is she going to be next year? :oops:o_O:eek:

Tis a fine team, I'm very curious to know how the Campbell signing came about. Despite being a mid at Richmond, I think she's precisely the ground-level workhorse that we needed to slot into our somewhat pretty backline. Not sure if that's the plan, but we'll see.

If Duffin is to return, in the corporeal floating-across-half-back sense and not just a name on paper, it then changes Randall's role again which reawakens the issue of finding a match-up for Hardiman each week. Probably only three or four teams have more size than speed up forward, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back