AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has Caro spoken today after this news came out?
Has she scolded Geelong for sacking their head of women's football two weeks ago. Did she care about GWS and Adelaide creating dual-roles for their new AFLW coaches two years ago etc etc. The real question is: what will it take to justify shooting an arrow at her mate Kate Sheahan (deserving head of women's footy at Richmond, totally not a boys' club appointment)?

"Industry speculation" suggests the Tigers aren't going to appoint Gowans as their new coach, but instead give the job to somebody already working in the men's football department at the club... which they're entitled to do, of course. Hopefully the rumours are wrong though, because we'd all like to see Scott remain involved in the league.

So which 6 players are off the list? Haines x 2, Trend, Humphries, Green, Seoighe? Didn't think I saw Mesiti on the retained list, which would make it 7?

Interesting that 4 of our Tassie girls are gone. Just 4 left now?
Yeah just Bresnehan, Bannister, Gavalas and Mia King the Tasmanian’s on our list. Gibson originally from tassie also

not many tassie players on other aflw lists really only Weutschner at lions who would be a good future target, green who we traded and Gamble at the dogs

So which 6 players are off the list? Haines x 2, Trend, Humphries, Green, Seoighe? Didn't think I saw Mesiti on the retained list, which would make it 7?

Interesting that 4 of our Tassie girls are gone. Just 4 left now?
There is an article on the AFLW website listing each teams playing list, and according to the article we have delisted Mesiti. I would include the link if I knew how to do from my phone.

There is an article on the AFLW website listing each teams playing list, and according to the article we have delisted Mesiti. I would include the link if I knew how to do from my phone.

Jun 19, 2020, 1:37pm
190620_seoighe.jpg

The North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos have advised three of its players their contracts will not be renewed, while Taylor Mesiti has decided to step away from the game.
Irishwoman, Mairead Seoighe, and Tasmanian twins, Libby and Chloe Haines, make up the de-listed trio.
North AFLW operations manager Matt Bolitho said such decisions are never easy.
“It’s never a good time in football to have to delist players and we don’t make these types of decisions lightly,” he said.
“Each player has contributed to our AFLW program and brought something unique to our team.
“We wish them nothing but the best for the future.”

Here is the article.

Sign and Trade Period winners and losers: Who smashed it?

Sign and Trade Period winners and losers: Who smashed it?
Sarah Black

AFTER a helter-skelter few weeks of the AFLW Sign and Trade Period, AFLW club lists for 2021 are nearly complete.

Clubs with fewer than 27 players can continue to sign delisted free agents until Friday, after which the final draft order will be confirmed.

NORTH MELBOURNE
Sophie Abbatangelo, Kaitlyn Ashmore, Daria Bannister, Daisy Bateman, Nicole Bresnehan, Jenna Bruton, Grace Campbell, Jess Duffin, Jasmine Garner, Ellie Gavalas, Britt Gibson, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Aileen Gilroy, Jasmine Grierson, Danielle Hardiman, Emma Kearney, Elisha King, Emma King, Mia King, Beth Lynch, Tahni Nestor, Tahlia Randall, Ash Riddell, Vivien Saad, Sarah Wright

Recruits: Grace Campbell (Richmond)

Out: Abbey Green (Collingwood), Jess Trend (Fremantle), Chloe Haines, Libby Haines, Taylor Mesiti, Mairead Seoighe (all delisted)

Current draft picks: 13, 22, 44, fourth-round selection (currently 50)

A fairly cunning Trade Period from North Melbourne, who didn't really need to add much to its list in the first place. While not an outright steal, pick 43 for the tenacious Campbell was definitely a win for the Roos, who now have more quality midfielders than they know what to do with. While Trend played every game in 2020, the returning Duffin (pregnancy) will comfortably fill that spot in the 21. North also managed to wriggle its way into a three-way trade by contributing draft picks, which eventuated into upgrading its second-rounder from 29 to 22.

Sign and Trade rating: 8.5/10

Had a quick chat with Abbey Jordan today. She's a young woman hoping to be drafted in the next week or so, or whenever it is. Have had a couple of kicks of the footy with her and she can hit a ball nicely, has a surprisingly good journey and the ball comes onto you nicely, to borrow a cricket term. She's a pretty good runner and looks like she would like hitting a contest. I know a bloke who has coached her and she reckons she goes alright too. She follows stinky old collingwood iirc, but her mum wants her to come to North :) Good luck Abbey.

Article on Charlotte "Charlie" Vandenberg, the only girl at this year's Tasmanian draft combine. 181cm ruckman (for comparison Emma King is 187, Vivien Saad is 180), somewhat recent convert to footy from hockey.

I have no proper idea if we're going to take her, as opposed to last year when we knew Mia King was an u18 All-Aus selection and could slot into any team in a variety of roles. But just by virtue of being invited to test after delisting the Haines twins and trading out Abbey Green, my guess is we'll give her a crack with our 48th or 55th?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on Charlotte "Charlie" Vandenberg, the only girl at this year's Tasmanian draft combine. 181cm ruckman (for comparison Emma King is 187, Vivien Saad is 180), somewhat recent convert to footy from hockey.

I have no proper idea if we're going to take her, as opposed to last year when we knew Mia King was an u18 All-Aus selection and could slot into any team in a variety of roles. But just by virtue of being invited to test after delisting the Haines twins and trading out Abbey Green, my guess is we'll give her a crack with our 48th or 55th?
It sounds like she is more of a project player.

I massively agree.

I don't see any benefit to listing her this year if she can be listed for 2022 after 12 months of development.

Play her has an NAB Under 18's overager and expose her to TSLW rather than in the local NW league.

IIRC North has a deal with the Tassie Gov and the AFL to have a minimum number of Tassie players on the list - as part of the sponsorship arrangement.
I think the number was originally 6 (correct me if I'm wrong), but didn't have the info of if that number changed over time.

The only thing that's ever been reported on, or mentioned by the club and/or government, regarding the list is an eventual "target" to have half of the players come from Tasmania. If there was a hard quota, one would expect it to have been disclosed in the official Tas gov media release (which does state the home games and money involved in the deal).

Fwiw cricket can't find more than five locals to sign on to the Tasmanian women's squad, despite being in the WNCL for over a decade now. So even an informal commitment to have more North AFLW players than that would be unreasonable at this stage imo (unless the AFL want to chip in with some extra ambassadorial cash to lure Wuetschner away from Brisbane).

IIRC North has a deal with the Tassie Gov and the AFL to have a minimum number of Tassie players on the list - as part of the sponsorship arrangement.
I think the number was originally 6 (correct me if I'm wrong), but didn't have the info of if that number changed over time.

The only thing that's ever been reported on, or mentioned by the club and/or government, regarding the list is an eventual "target" to have half of the players come from Tasmania. If there was a hard quota, one would expect it to have been disclosed in the official Tas gov media release (which does state the home games and money involved in the deal).

Fwiw cricket can't find more than five locals to sign on to the Tasmanian women's squad, despite being in the WNCL for over a decade now. So even an informal commitment to have more North AFLW players than that would be unreasonable at this stage imo (unless the AFL want to chip in with some extra ambassadorial cash to lure Wuetschner away from Brisbane).

6 players has been mentioned on local TV reports at the time the Kangaroos were entering the league.

I am not sure if the 6 players was a target or firm understanding. Either way I was surprised that North traded Green to the Pies as there is not much AFLW ready talent In the TSLW or Devils to replace her.

Gavalas was a one-off bonus of someone who was playing Footy in Melbourne and able to step up to the VFLW before being drafted. I suspect most future Tasmanian’s will be Under 18s (Maybe one every second year) and the occasional mature ager like Bresnehan and Green from our State League.

I’d hazard a guess and say that Green probably wanted more opportunity and fair enough to, she is a good player and deserves to play more regularly.
Abbey had a knee condition that limited her ability to back up week after week. I think the cartilage was pretty shot iirc. It’s a shame as the games she did play she made our team a lot better structurally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back