NMFC every draft pick and trade since 2002- Have your say??

Remove this Banner Ad

roo_boy_29

All Australian
Aug 23, 2009
Glenelg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2002- Traded pick #13 for Leigh Brown (freo), traded Wayne Carey to Adelaide for picks #2 and 18, traded Byron Pickett to Port Power for picks #13 and #31 and Traded Stuart Cochrane for Michael Stevens (port).
National draft- #2 Daniel Wells, #9 Hamish Mcintosh, #18 Chris Shore, #25 Callum Urch, #31 Joel Perry, #38 Blake Grima.
Pre Season draft- None
Rookie elevation- Digby Morrell, John Baird
Draft and trade summary- Didnt capatalise on mid pick's, but very lucky we ended up with Wells, Mcintosh and Leigh Brown gave good service for 6 years. 7.5/10. :thumbsu:

2003- Traded David Teague and Digby Morrell for Corey Mckernan (carl).
National draft- #9 David Trotter, #24 Chad Jones, #40 Eddie Sansbury, #56 Brent Lecras
Pre season draft- Shane Harvey
Rookie elevation- Michael Firrito and Jeremy Clayton
Draft and trade summary- Absolutely stinker of a draft. Eddie Sansbury had talent, but wasn't fit enough. Firrito was a good elevation. David Teague went on to win a b and f at Carlton before going off the rails. 2.5/10 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

2004- Traded pick #10 and #26 to Hawthorn for Nathan Thompson
National Draft- #42 JW Smith (father son), #58 Brad Moran, #68 Ben Schwarze, # 74 Daniel Pratt
Pre season draft- #Lance Picioane
Rookie elevation- None
Draft and trade summary- Very hard to say. It wasn't a strong draft anyway so trading picks 10 and 26 wasn't as bad as it sounded and Thommo gave us very good service and we didn't know he was guna do a knee. Daniel Pratt at pick #74 was a steal. 5/10 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:

2005- Traded picks #13 and #29 to get Daniel Mconnell and pick #18 from West Coast and they used pick #13 to get Shannon Hurn and pick #29 to get Ben Mckinley. Traded Daniel Motlop to Port Power for picks #28 and #46, but we then used the pick #46 to to get Jade Rawling's from Western Bulldogs in a trade and only got Matt Riggio with pick #28 in the draft. If you thought that was bad we traded pick #18 to the Hawks for Jonathon Hay, in return the Hawks got Max Bailey and just to top it off we traded pick #61 to Sydney for Mark Powell (sydney). Mark Powell quit football 2 weeks after arriving at the club. What a SEE YOU EN TEE!
National Draft- #28 Matt Riggio, #43 Andrew Swallow, #45 Kasey Green
Pre Season- Cameron Thurley
Rookie Draft- Ed Lower and Djarren Whyman
Draft and trade summary- Disgusting. Andrew Swallow get 1 point and Kasey Green and Ed Lower get 0.5 between them. 1.5/10 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

2006- Did not trade after the 2005 debacle
National draft- #3 Lachlan Hansen, #21 Gavin Urcquart, #37 Todd Goldstein, #53 Lindsay Thomas, #69 Ben Warren, #82 Aaron Edwards
Pre Season- Ben Ross
Rookie draft- Leigh Adams, Ben Hughes, Matt Campbell, Tim Hutchinson
Draft and trade summary- I love this draft. It could have been a 10 out of 10 if we got Selwood or Armitage instead of Hansen. Real good though outside that. 8.5/10 :thumbsu::thumbsu:

2007- Traded Brad Moran to Adelaide for pick #32. Traded pick #48 to the Western Bulldogs for Sam Power. Traded pick #96 to Collingwood for Ben Davies.
National draft- #15 Robbie Tarrant, #32 Levi Greenwood, #37 Scot Thompson, #62 Josh Smith, #72 Blake Grima
Pre season draft- None
Rookie draft- Nathan Grima, Cruize Garlett, Alan Obst, Michael Wundke, James Wilsen
Draft and trade summary- After the success we got deep in the previous draft I am GOB-Smacked that Laidley off loaded draft picks to get Power and Davies. I didn't like Brad Moran so that was a good move. Scot Thompson, Greenwood are beauties and fancy getting Nathan Grima and Garlett in rookie draft (what a steal)- 7/10 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:

2008- Did not trade thank god
National Draft- #9 Jack Ziebell, #27 Sam Wright, #43 Liam Anthony, #59 Nathan Okeefe, #71 Warren Benjamin
Rookie draft- Luke Delaney, Ben Speight, Marcus White, Alan Obst, Conor Meridith
Pre Season draft- none
Draft and trade summary- 2 potential superstars and club leaders in Ziebell and Anthony. Who knows what the rest are capable of?? 8/10:thumbsu:

2009- Traded Josh Gibson and our pick #69 to Hawthorn for picks #25 and #41 and Jesse Smith may walk???
National draft- ???
Rookie draft-???
Pre Season draft- ???
Trade summary so far-?? To be honest if you look at our history we are due to make some shocking selections, because our last 3 drafts have been passable. Time will tell, but we need atleast 1 gun midfielder to go with Ziebs and Anthony. Gibson is no loss and Jess Smith doesn't bother me. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

:footy: So have your say on where we have gone wrong and whats your favourite trades and steals in recent history.???

great job!

I would have given 2007 draft a 7.5. tarrant hasn't been on the park and we picked up powers, davies was no big loss. Grima was effectivly the last pick in the draft so no loss again.

my favourite trade we got was jade rawlings and #43 for #46. rawlings played a handful of games, and #43 gave us Andrew Swallow. #46, travis baird played only 5 games for 2 clubs. big winner there.

loving ben warren at #69. could become the best player at that pick ever. he'd have to compete with brad sholl, dud, dud, pass, dud, keplar bradley, pass, jordan banister

2007- Traded Brad Moran to Adelaide for pick #32. Traded pick #48 to the Western Bulldogs for Sam Power. Traded pick #96 to Collingwood for Ben Davies.
National draft- #15 Robbie Tarrant, #32 Levi Greenwood, #37 Scot Thompson, #62 Josh Smith, #72 Blake Grima
Pre season draft- None
Rookie draft- Nathan Grima, Cruize Garlett, Alan Obst, Michael Wundke, James Wilsen
Draft and trade summary- After the success we got deep in the previous draft I am GOB-Smacked that Laidley off loaded draft picks to get Power and Davies. I didn't like Brad Moran so that was a good move. Scot Thompson, Greenwood are beauties and fancy getting Nathan Grima and Garlett in rookie draft (what a steal)- 7/10 :thumbsu::thumbsdown:

Great work with everything but just one small error i picked up.

We actually traded Moran for pick 37, which we got Thompson with, so in turn we got Scotty T for Moran.

Lol it's fair to say that the earlier part of the decade was a total **** up in terms of recruiting!
03 and 05 are absolutely disgusting! We are currently three - four years behind the top teams because of that 2005 draft/trade!

This thread better rate. It took me 2 and half hours.

Thanks for the info, RB 29.

You were probably in a good mood when you started off in 2002. You rated it a 7.5/10. Bit generous I reckon. Any fool could have picked Wellsy at #2 and apart from Hamish, none of the others did anything really.

Anyway, overall it shows how "lucky" you have to be to select really good, long term players with picks above #10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone ever says "Laidley had a poor list to work with", direct them to those first 4 of his reign. The whole thing yielded no more than 3 or 4 best 22 players.

Go back even further and you will see why it is fair to say that. In the last 3-4 drafts in the Pagan era we had one good one which netted Harris, Petrie and Jones.

The next 4 picks after JW Smith were Henry Slattery, Justin Sherman, Mitch Morton and Michael Newton. Take your pick??

Sherman is the only one who I would even contemplate having at North.

It's very encouraging to see our drafting since 2006. I can more than half of our current starting 22 came from the 06-08 draft. We will definitely pick up another top draft this year like Cunningham and according to Age, this year draft is so shallow that after the first 4 or 5 picks, the rest are duds but the first 4 or 5 are a class above the rest. So starting 2010, we will have one top talent over most of other clubs and with the natural progression of the core youngsters like Anthony, Ziebell, Ross and Urqhart etc we will quickly become a top 4 in 2011 or 2012 before anyone notice.

great post

wasted picks after wells and mcintosh in '02

generally agree with your assessment though i would have given a higher rating for swallow and we recently got some absolute steals though we have wasted high picks in the past...

hopefully they pick good this year for the draft

we really have not had that many top 10 draft picks. recruiting staff really earn their money with later picks.snag a 100 game player with pick 56 now that is recruitng

tells an interesting story.........wonder how much of this was:

1. Stibbard
  2. Lack of resources to fund better recruiting
  3. Laidley trying to establish a career by grabbing mature age recruits
  4. Laidley having no idea
  5. bad luck
Id love to get my hands on the draft pick list from each club thats used on draft day and see how they differ between the clubs........

Remove this Banner Ad

NMFC every draft pick and trade since 2002- Have your say??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back