Opinion Priority Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Just so people are clear, let's see the assistance packages we have received and what we've done with them....

2022: Received a 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick in the 2023 that had to be traded for mature talent. Also received 2 additional list spots.

2023 2nd round pick - Griffin Logue
2023 3rd round pick - Darcy Tucker
Additional rookie list spots - Dan Howe & Kayne Turner (****ing yuck!)

2023: Received 3 end of first round picks. One for 2023 and 2 for 2024. Plus the additional rookie list picks.
Pick 19 2023 - Will Dawson
Pick 20 (2024) - Traded to GC for Pick 18
Pick 19 (2024) & 44 (2023) - Traded for Dylan Stephens & pick 25 (2023).
Pick 25 & 21 then went to Carlton for Fisher & Pick 17 (Taylor Goad).
Additional rookie list spots - Tyler Sellers & Brynn Teakle (one rookie list spot was left open at the start of the season)

Just so people are clear, let's see the assistance packages we have received and what we've done with them....

2022: Received a 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick in the 2023 that had to be traded for mature talent. Also received 2 additional list spots.

2023: Received 3 end of first round picks. One for 2023 and 2 for 2024. Plus the additional rookie list picks.
Additional rookie list spots - Tyler Sellers & Brynn Teakle (one rookie list spot was left open at the start of the season)
Out of all the players we’ve brought in, would we all agree Logie has been the only one that has positively impacted the score board and development? Maybe half a mark for Tucker? If that?

This is sack worthy in itself.

Out of all the players we’ve brought in, would we all agree Logie has been the only one that has positively impacted the score board and development? Maybe half a mark for Tucker? If that?
Logue is a tick, Tucker half a tick, Fisher and Stephens BOG Average, especially when you consider the price we paid.

This is sack worthy in itself.

Totally. We are our own worst enemies.

2022 was alright. I don't think we can complain about Logue for a 2nd and Tucker for a 3rd. That we had to trade them was tish.

The concept of what we did in 2023 was ok. We got kids and players. The players are both cats unfortunately which we should have seen.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Logue is a tick, Tucker half a tick, Fisher and Stephens BOG Average, especially when you consider the price we paid.

Totally. We are our own worst enemies.

Time the club employs Souup and your good self as recruiters - I’ve seen both of you pick the eyes out of the last few drafts.

You'd have that give that an A given the material we had to work with. Two best 18 players, Logue really good too.

Yes, fail.

Dawson a great oick up, jury out on Goad.

Fisher I'm not sold on, should be used forward, Stephens will be really good in a good team.

Grade: C+

Sellers was worth a go, played senior footy, didn't work out.

Teakle brilliant recruiting and we very wise to keep that spot open.

Grade = B

No point discussing it. We got priority picks for this year, last yeat and we traded them for Stephens and Fisher. We gambled that we’d lose the priority picks because of natural improvement.

What a failed gamble that was. Yet another long list of things our list management team has done wrong.
The flaw in your logic is that if we hadn't recruited Stephens and Fisher we might have actually improved this year and we'd have forfeited those picks.

Sorry, Teakle = "brilliant recruiting" - might need to raise the bar a little higher than that.

2nd lick in the MSD that comes in plays for the rest of the season is brilliant recruiting.

It isn't like we used a first rounder on him.

Our assistance can be funding / soft cap assistance to get Graeme Wright onboard.
Proven history of getting it done at 2 clubs in many areas from coaching to recruiting & trading.
Is he still mates with Clarko? At least he'd challenge Al & shake things up.

How the **** is Brady still in his job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't most of our picks given to us with one hand behind back. Must be traded. Must be used on senior players etc. We could only get who would come to us

We got them last year and I don't think we need them. The coaching group and players need to get to work.
Fitness, strength and skills need to go to another level and we'll get some players back from injury.
We haven't really had a completely settled back six/seven the whole year with injuries and trialing some players.
Use future picks to bring in players from other clubs if possible and just hit the draft.
Unfortunately, there's a developmental lag that we're stuck in waiting for the kids to get stronger, fitter, play more games and get shared experience together.

We got them last year and I don't think we need them. The coaching group and players need to get to work.
Fitness, strength and skills need to go to another level and we'll get some players back from injury.
We haven't really had a completely settled back six/seven the whole year with injuries and trialing some players.
Use future picks to bring in players from other clubs if possible and just hit the draft.
Unfortunately, there's a developmental lag that we're stuck in waiting for the kids to get stronger, fitter, play more games and get shared experience together.
Agree with most of this. Issue is that we are year 2 into a 8 year rebuild effectively. I would strongly consider trading future picks if we think the talent is there in the draft or the right type is available (unlikely as that may seem) in a trade. Do we run the risk of finishing down low and another club getting a top 5 pick out of us - yes. But if we stretch this out much longer we will take so long that we will be replacing our good "senior" players like X, Larkey, LDU by the time their next gen replacements come in... so much hinges on development and it's why injuries like Goater kill us - because we absolutely need to know if we have these spots locked down sooner rather than later.

Pick 19 2023 - Riley Hardeman
Pick 25 & 21 then went to Carlton for Fisher & Pick 17 (Wil Dawson).
I changed that to make it accurate.

Taylor Goad came from the JHF trade. He went at pick 20 but was originally Port's first round pick for 2023.

Also that pick 21 and 25 that Carlton got ended up being used at pick 29 and pick 34!!! At least that's what I can figure out from the arcane complicated mess that all those swaps and trades refer to. But on the wikipedia 2023 draft page it clearly says Carlton's pick 29 came from our priority pick which was originally pick 21 after all the compo and what have you.

Depending on what happens with F/S and compo this year our priority picks could end up around pick 30 like the one we had last year did.

We’ve gotta revise our stance on not requesting draft assistance. It’s not the silver bullet but it is 100% needed. This team’s performance is generationally inept yet hasn’t been given anything above pick 19 or 20. Funny what happens when you let a sacked employee decide on the level of help - so corrupt.

Rather than just saying we’ll never get them - which I assume the club has been told - they need to get dirty. I’d be saying to the AFL if we don’t get assistance we roll out Clarkson for a tell-all TV interview with his family and kids about all the abuse they’ve suffered at the hands of the AFL and this bullshit investigation two days before the GF.

Run it out in two or three installments to shit on their big day. 60 Minutes and age/smh in print.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’ve gotta revise our stance on not requesting draft assistance. It’s not the silver bullet but it is 100% needed. This team’s performance is generationally inept yet hasn’t been given anything above pick 19 or 20. Funny what happens when you let a sacked employee decide on the level of help - so corrupt.

Rather than just saying we’ll never get them - which I assume the club has been told - they need to get dirty. I’d be saying to the AFL if we don’t get assistance we roll out Clarkson for a tell-all TV interview with his family and kids about all the abuse they’ve suffered at the hands of the AFL and this bullshit investigation two days before the GF.

Run it out in two or three installments to shit on their big day. 60 Minutes and age/smh in print.

Absolutely should be asking. FMD, it's irrelevant whether they agree or not. We should ask and be clear about how historically bad we are and why we need them - if only to make it even more awkward for the AFL to gift others picks when they wouldn't for us.

Anything with the title "priority picks" won't happen and won't be requested. However, one thing I would approach the AFL for, in some shape or form, is to discuss any possible compo for Tarryn Thomas situation
Wouldn't have thought we'd get any compo for TT, unless he is approved to play and someone picked him up.

There is precedence there, sort of, with the compensation given for Liam Jones when he returned from retirement.

Agree with most of this. Issue is that we are year 2 into a 8 year rebuild effectively. I would strongly consider trading future picks if we think the talent is there in the draft or the right type is available (unlikely as that may seem) in a trade. Do we run the risk of finishing down low and another club getting a top 5 pick out of us - yes. But if we stretch this out much longer we will take so long that we will be replacing our good "senior" players like X, Larkey, LDU by the time their next gen replacements come in... so much hinges on development and it's why injuries like Goater kill us - because we absolutely need to know if we have these spots locked down sooner rather than later.
I should have clarified I was advocating keeping our first 3 picks this year ideally (2, 22, 40) and potentially trade F2/F3/F4 for players. I'd only move the F1 for a quality player or top 6 pick in this draft.
We can always trade back into next years draft or move players for picks if need be in 2025.

Absolutely should be asking. FMD, it's irrelevant whether they agree or not. We should ask and be clear about how historically bad we are and why we need them - if only to make it even more awkward for the AFL to gift others picks when they wouldn't for us.

This - 100%. Seek clarity about it … if we don’t get assistance we need to make damn sure that no one else can until they post an inferior win-loss record

This - 100%. Seek clarity about it … if we don’t get assistance we need to make damn sure that no one else can until they post an inferior win-loss record

Exactly. Ask. Ask publicly. Ask repeatedly. Put it out there publicly our record and what we have received. Leave the worms no wriggle room so that when they give others more for less - and they will - we can make them eat a shit sandwich.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Priority Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back