Opinion Priority Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the Stephens and Fisher trades was that no one else wants to come to us. We had to pay overs just to get them to come. Its all a shambles
Well, with a minimum cap and list spots to fill, there will be more to come.

Last year, we had JZ, Cunners, Hall retire and drove Magoo to The Hanger.

This year, TT, Shiels, Greenwood and looks like Sleevo.

There would be only so much front loading we could do. Cam Zurhaar might be on $2m next season.

Wouldn't have thought we'd get any compo for TT, unless he is approved to play and someone picked him up.

There is precedence there, sort of, with the compensation given for Liam Jones when he returned from retirement.
AFL is a circus of an organization. If they want to give us some compo they will, regardless of any precedent. And if they don't want to help, they won't even if another club just received a pick for exactly the same scenario.

Agree with most of this. Issue is that we are year 2 into a 8 year rebuild effectively. I would strongly consider trading future picks if we think the talent is there in the draft or the right type is available (unlikely as that may seem) in a trade. Do we run the risk of finishing down low and another club getting a top 5 pick out of us - yes. But if we stretch this out much longer we will take so long that we will be replacing our good "senior" players like X, Larkey, LDU by the time their next gen replacements come in... so much hinges on development and it's why injuries like Goater kill us - because we absolutely need to know if we have these spots locked down sooner rather than later.
Exactly right, and we have tried this strategy last year by offering future picks but no clubs wanted to deal with us.
We absolutely have to fasttrack this now and not think 2-3 drafts ahead. Otherwise we'll never get out of this circle.

But gradual onfield improvement needs to go hand in hand with the build. Hawthorn has won 8 games last year, which allowed them to attract some talent (Ginnivan, Chol, Ambrosio) who wouldn't have come to North. And this year it paid off for them. While we continue to stand still with 3 wins seasons we won't be able to attract anyone of note.

I would suggest we were explicitly told that we would get nothing further last year when we asked.

It would be why they gave us a multi year assistance package.

I also don't think that throwing more talented 18 year olds at our problems make our problems disappear.

If that AFL truly wanted to help it would be with Salary cap relief so that we could employ multiple more coaches into the FD.

The fact that the assistance we go was wildly unders when compared to basically any other assistance any other club has ever received is infuriating. What is worse is we all collective know that any club that comes after as in such a severe down turn is likely going to be looked after much much more.

I am really coming to hate the league. FWIW I am not so crash hot about the club at the moment either.

AFL is a circus of an organization. If they want to give us some compo they will, regardless of any precedent. And if they don't want to help, they won't even if another club just received a pick for exactly the same scenario.
Hard to argue with that, they certainly are a circus!

I would suggest we were explicitly told that we would get nothing further last year when we asked.

It would be why they gave us a multi year assistance package.

I also don't think that throwing more talented 18 year olds at our problems make our problems disappear.

If that AFL truly wanted to help it would be with Salary cap relief so that we could employ multiple more coaches into the FD.

The fact that the assistance we go was wildly unders when compared to basically any other assistance any other club has ever received is infuriating. What is worse is we all collective know that any club that comes after as in such a severe down turn is likely going to be looked after much much more.

I am really coming to hate the league. FWIW I am not so crash hot about the club at the moment either.
This year was the first time in a very long time (since I can remember) where I attended only about 4-5 games. It was initially due to being busy on weekends with the new business, and my youngest son being born in October, coupled with absolutely hopeless nature of our play before the bye (I basically stopped trying to move everything around that I normally would do). And i've come to the realization for the first time that this prolonged period of the club being dogshit, I have lost a lot of passion for the game. In the past I couldn't imagine what my life would look like if the club was ever relocated or if I was to move interstate or overseas. Now though, I am no longer as emotionally invested.

Feels really sad, as I wish for my kids to experience what I have during the 1990s, and while I keep telling them it will turn, to be brutally honest, I have no confidence that it will.

The only thing in our favour is that we are so uncompetitive, for so long, with a lopsided fixture that finally our interests and those of the clubs that happily throw us under the bus for priority are aligned. It's irrelevant what Go Dogs or Melbourne think about this. What matters is that the longer this goes, with a skewed fixture, the bigger the advantage for the clubs that regularly get to play us more. We all know who those clubs are because we all play each other more than any other club in the land whilst our more important colleagues play each other twice a year, year in year out at the MCG.

How long til Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond etc crack the sads about Fremantle, West Coast, Port, Adelaide, Sydney, GC, GWS etc getting two easy wins whilst they don't...

The only thing in our favour is that we are so uncompetitive, for so long, with a lopsided fixture that finally our interests and those of the clubs that happily throw us under the bus for priority are aligned. It's irrelevant what Go Dogs or Melbourne think about this. What matters is that the longer this goes, with a skewed fixture, the bigger the advantage for the clubs that regularly get to play us more. We all know who those clubs are because we all play each other more than any other club in the land whilst our more important colleagues play each other twice a year, year in year out at the MCG.

How long til Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond etc crack the sads about Fremantle, West Coast, Port, Adelaide, Sydney, GC, GWS etc getting two easy wins whilst they don't...
There's no interest like self interest!

I can't see anything happening this year and I'm hopeful that next year sees us start to put this shit period in the rear view mirror.

There's no interest like self interest!

I can't see anything happening this year and I'm hopeful that next year sees us start to put this shit period in the rear view mirror.
If we're really lucky history will repeat and we will be going up whilst Tasmania comes in - and we all know which teams will be playing two games against them as well. (Hint: not the teams that can't even manage to stroll down the road to Geelong once or twice a century).

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Priority Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back