• Brodie Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Watson

• Other - Please Post

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I had another a look at him. He is tough which I like.

I thought he might be a bit like a Scotty Burns initially when I first saw him and lack a bit of class but I think he moves a bit like a stronger bodied Mundy when I had a second look.

Not the worst, have to be in the mix. It isn't a simple selection for the Tigers but I lean to Caddy slightly over Polec anyway. Just my opinion!

Pretty sure pick #6 has a curse on it.

2009 = Gary Rohan (Syd) - Too early to tell, in and out of Sydney's team. Looks to have a fair bit of talent.
2008 = Chris Yarran (Car) - Too early to tell, has talent but application/attitude issues. Lazy.
2007 = David Myers (Ess) - dud
2006 = Mitch Thorp (Haw) - dud
2005 = Beau Dowler (Haw) - dud
2004 = Tom Wiliams (WB) - dud
2003 = Kepler Bradley (Ess) - dud
2002 = Steven Salopek (Port) - solid to decent player. Troubled by injuries all his career.
2001 = Ashley Sampi (WCE) - dud
2000 = Dylan Smith (NM) - dud

Although, I like the look of Rohan but never know.

Would be ironic if Richmond were the team to pick up a star with this cursed pick. Overall, not great reading.

2009 = Gary Rohan (Syd)
2008 = Chris Yarran (Car)
2007 = David Myers (Ess)
2006 = Mitch Thorp (Haw)
2005 = Beau Dowler (Haw)
2004 = Tom Wiliams (WB)
2003 = Kepler Bradley (Ess)
2002 = Steven Salopek (Port)
2001 = Ashley Sampi (WCE)
2000 = Dylan Smith (NM)

Would be ironic if Richmond were the team to pick up a star with this cursed pick.

I think its the pick were the obvious standouts are gone and before clubs use reason the use of both hands comes into play when they look at the speculative vision.
Rohan, Salopek, TW and Yarran have been handy, Dowler was fair enough.

I don't not the full wrap on Gorringe but Hardwick might pick him up. Two young ruckman on the list doesn't bother me if best available as plenty of mids in later drafts for us to come on quickly when we have what we have plus Griggs

2009 = Gary Rohan (Syd) - Too early to tell, in and out of Sydney's team. Looks to have a fair bit of talent.
2008 = Chris Yarran (Car) - Too early to tell, has talent but application/attitude issues. Lazy.
2007 = David Myers (Ess) - dud
2006 = Mitch Thorp (Haw) - dud
2005 = Beau Dowler (Haw) - dud
2004 = Tom Wiliams (WB) - dud
2003 = Kepler Bradley (Ess) - dud
2002 = Steven Salopek (Port) - solid to decent player. Troubled by injuries all his career.
2001 = Ashley Sampi (WCE) - dud
2000 = Dylan Smith (NM) - dud

Would be ironic if Richmond were the team to pick up a star with this cursed pick. Overall, not great reading.

Really??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key forwards are no longer such a huge key to winning flags , Geelong , Collingwood , WC and even Sydney didnt have gun KPF's , Hawthorn is the only side that springs to mind that has won one in recent times that has had two very capable KPF !!

IMO this is a fallacy, albeit one that appears to be gaining traction with general supporters. Seems to stem from those that proclaim the "modern game" is so radically different to what football has been in the past. Whether there is some truth to the later, i do not believe in the former, that KPF's are not as important to winning flags. I believe they are still immensely important. I do however acknowledge that the days of bombing long each and every time to a big KPF are gone.

However, the importance of big power fowards, who can lead multiple times, take contested marks, and importantly build team structures around is still of undeniable importance to winning flags.

Even taking the examples most commonly cited, all had good quality power forwards (ok, except WCE)

2000 - ESS - Lloyd, Lucas
2001 to 2003 - Bris - Lynch, Bradshaw, Brown-dog
2004 - Port - Tred's
2005 - Syd- Bazza
2006 - WCE - exception to the rule, although, lets not forget that the ystill had Q Lynch and in the grand final, Ashley Hansen probably played the best game of his career
2007 - Geel - Mooney and Ottens spent time down there and also, in context, one of the weakest grand final opponents in recent times
2008 - Haw - Buddy, Roughy
2009 - Geel - Mooney and Tomahawk was passable on the day
2010 - Coll - Dawes, Trav, Leroy Brown and let's not forget the influence of Darren Jolly.

So all in all, i reckon that KPF's are critical to winning flags. Maybe you dont need a superstar (although most of those teams do have one) but at the least you still need an above average one.

Yes we have Jack now, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt be looking for another big forward to help spread the load or as insurance. Maybe Griff, Post etc might develop, but the history of the draft tells us that the best strategy to develop you list via the draft is churn and burn - its a numbers game, more KPF's we draft, the better chance we have that one of them will develop into a genuine "better than average" option.

2009 = Gary Rohan (Syd)
2008 = Chris Yarran (Car)
2007 = David Myers (Ess)
2006 = Mitch Thorp (Haw)
2005 = Beau Dowler (Haw)
2004 = Tom Wiliams (WB)
2003 = Kepler Bradley (Ess)
2002 = Steven Salopek (Port)
2001 = Ashley Sampi (WCE)
2000 = Dylan Smith (NM)

Now do a comparison from 2000 with the lucky number 7 pick!

IMO this is a fallacy, albeit one that appears to be gaining traction with general supporters. Seems to stem from those that proclaim the "modern game" is so radically different to what football has been in the past. Whether there is some truth to the later, i do not believe in the former, that KPF's are not as important to winning flags. I believe they are still immensely important. I do however acknowledge that the days of bombing long each and every time to a big KPF are gone.

However, the importance of big power fowards, who can lead multiple times, take contested marks, and importantly build team structures around is still of undeniable importance to winning flags.

Even taking the examples most commonly cited, all had good quality power forwards (ok, except WCE)

2004 - Port - Tred's
2005 - Syd- Bazza
2006 - WCE - exception to the rule, although, lets not forget that the ystill had Q Lynch and in the grand final, Ashley Hansen probably played the best game of his career
2007 - Geel - Mooney and Ottens spent time down there and also, in context, one of the weakest grand final opponents in recent times
2010 - Coll - Dawes, Trav, Leroy Brown and let's not forget the influence of Darren Jolly.

So all in all, i reckon that KPF's are critical to winning flags. Maybe you dont need a superstar (although most of those teams do have one) but at the least you still need an above average one.

Yes we have Jack now, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt be looking for another big forward to help spread the load or as insurance. Maybe Griff, Post etc might develop, but the history of the draft tells us that the best strategy to develop you list via the draft is churn and burn - its a numbers game, more KPF's we draft, the better chance we have that one of them will develop into a genuine "better than average" option.

Nah, I agree forwards are still important. Reiwoldt needed a friend in the 2nd GF so he could provide an option further up the ground to get St Kilda out of Collingwoods flood.

The thing is how good are the forward prospects. I heard Lynch is 196 then he is 199. I hope he isn't 199 because for mine, height becomes a disadvantage at that height IMO playing forward generally as a principle

2004 - Port - Tred's
2005 - Syd- Bazza

I have no doubt KPF forwards remain important. But their importance and influence on sides is no where near what it use to be .
I'd suggest its been quite a while since a premiership KPF , was named all Australian KPF.
Although it remains important to have capable KPF's the need for dominant KPF's isn't as high in the modern day.
Of these you've named Tredrea , Buddy and Baz where probably the only two who were dominant forwards from those seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

No 6, KPF or Midfielder?

Back