No Mitch Clark, so Ash Hansen

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think he would be worth a rookie spot.Played like a man possessed at times for Perth this year. Couldn't believe it was the same player.
Good size and very athletic. Perhaps he's grown up?
Yes I'm serious.

I endorse this event or product.

Doogs has a lot of ability.

Is he the one who had previously been on Brisbane's list?

If I'm thinking of the same guy then I don't blame them for sacking him if the rumours I heard are anything to go by.

Nah, that was another player - Troy Johnson I think his name was.

Just to add to the complete and utter muppetry of that particular drafting decision - Edwards being from Claremont was able to be selected by us for nothing as a zone selection before the draft. We chose not to, used a very high draft pick to select him, and promptly delisted him.

Criminal.

Being a solid contributor at WAFL level and being a solid contributor at AFL level seem to be mutually exclusive in many cases and I wouldn't throw away a rookie pick to try and prove McDougall's previous two AFL clubs were wrong to judge him as a failure at the elite level.
Agree with the sentiment regarding McDougall but I think mutually exclusive might be a bit of a stretch.

Sandilands was dropped once and went back and hat 50 hit outs for East Freo. While you might expect he'd dominate the hit outs the effort was getting to that many ball-ups. Shauny Mac racked up 50 possessions in a game after being dropped. Similarly, Headland in his prime, did something similar in a Subiaco game after being dropped. I think he had 40 possessions to 3/4 time. Apparently Palmer was starting to dominate in his last few WAFL games as he was getting his mojo back.

There are other stories ... but the point being genuine AFL players go back and dominate in the WAFL. Even Hansen, the subject of derison in this thread, can go back and kick 3-4 goals a game -- when he's fit.

adelaide- trent ormond-allen
brisbane- adam hueskas
carlton- tommy alvin
collingwood- tyson lane
essendon- david grenvold
fremantle- chris groom
geelong- jason mooney
hawthorn- lance picione
Melbourne- jeff hilton
North melbourne- wayne schwass
Port Power- damian squire
richmond- lionel proctor
stkilda- sean charles
sydney- andrew schauble
western bulldogs- simon minton-connell

there is a list of players from every other club whom we should consider getting out of retirement and play in the forwardline for us before we should consider getting that useless ranga hansen to our club

Adam could REALLY play, the guy was skill personified. It was his OFF field issues that were the problem. As a result no team would give him a contract after that. He was a classic case of talent (and the money that he made) was wasted through his own stupid actions.

Pity, such a waste!

Agree with the sentiment regarding McDougall but I think mutually exclusive might be a bit of a stretch.

Sandilands was dropped once and went back and hat 50 hit outs for East Freo. While you might expect he'd dominate the hit outs the effort was getting to that many ball-ups. Shauny Mac racked up 50 possessions in a game after being dropped. Similarly, Headland in his prime, did something similar in a Subiaco game after being dropped. I think he had 40 possessions to 3/4 time. Apparently Palmer was starting to dominate in his last few WAFL games as he was getting his mojo back.

There are other stories ... but the point being genuine AFL players go back and dominate in the WAFL. Even Hansen, the subject of derison in this thread, can go back and kick 3-4 goals a game -- when he's fit.

I agree with you Doc, I think I articulated my point poorly. As you say, players who are truly AFL quality will be able to stamp themselves on a WAFL game and dominate. Case in point this season was Greg Broughton, after he returned from his ankle injury. He only played the first half of Subi's game against Perth before he did his hamstring, but was clearly a cut above everyone else out there. He must've had 15-20 touches and half a dozen bounces in that time, plus he never even looked like missing a target or fumbling the ball.

My point was that there have been plenty of blokes who were good players at WAFL level but never made it at the top. The two that instantly spring to mind for me are Ryan Murphy and Andrew Browne. Maybe even Brad Bootsma if you want to go back a bit further, but I had a bit of a soft spot for him because I thought he battled really hard in a poor team. Great WAFL players, consistently played well for their clubs, but never looked particularly likely in the AFL.

Adam could REALLY play, the guy was skill personified. It was his OFF field issues that were the problem. As a result no team would give him a contract after that. He was a classic case of talent (and the money that he made) was wasted through his own stupid actions.

Pity, such a waste!

I would take schwass! ;)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hansen is too consistent to be a classic Freo player.... we should redraft Steven Koops. Full of potential until the Bulldogs got hold of him but get him for nicks now....

I agree with you Doc, I think I articulated my point poorly. As you say, players who are truly AFL quality will be able to stamp themselves on a WAFL game and dominate. Case in point this season was Greg Broughton, after he returned from his ankle injury. He only played the first half of Subi's game against Perth before he did his hamstring, but was clearly a cut above everyone else out there. He must've had 15-20 touches and half a dozen bounces in that time, plus he never even looked like missing a target or fumbling the ball.

My point was that there have been plenty of blokes who were good players at WAFL level but never made it at the top. The two that instantly spring to mind for me are Ryan Murphy and Andrew Browne. Maybe even Brad Bootsma if you want to go back a bit further, but I had a bit of a soft spot for him because I thought he battled really hard in a poor team. Great WAFL players, consistently played well for their clubs, but never looked particularly likely in the AFL.
Ahhh ... the list has plenty more names -- Gilmour, Buzz Fewster, Troy Longmuir, Andrew Foster, Josh Head, Daniel Haines, Andrew Shipp, and possibly Luke Toia.

I always thought Haines and Browne together with Webster were the best of that lot given they were cruelled by injuries. Especially Haines. He was like a Matty De Boer who could kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could be here all day, Doc. I'll give you almost all of those. I was a big Daniel Haines fan, his debut year was fantastic. I believe it was a broken that stopped him? Never really looked the same afterwards, despite playing some good footy for Peel when he didn't have other injuries.

I know he ain't exactly a favourite, but Daniel Gilmore was scintillating at AFL level in 2007. He looked like he wasn't just AFL quality, he looked like he was going to revolutionise the entire game. From 2008 on, it just never seemed to go right for him though.

TLo was AFL quality in the early 2000's but it was beyond him for his last couple of years. He was a very handy foil to Medhurst and Farmer in 2003 up forward I reckon.

Andrew Shipp showed glimpses of AFL quality but never seemed to get the opportunities we all thought he deserved after Damian Drum left.

I forget if any of this is actually relevant to anything, but thinking about the careers these blokes had is more fun than what I'm supposed to be doing in the real world right now.

Gilmore never looked like he was going to revolutionise the game. I'm not sure what you saw in him.

A ruckman with elite endurance, pace to burn, an ability to find the footy and the kick of a mule? Who had the leap to trouble even the tallest of opposition rucks?

He was a big deal. This was around the time that everyone was still fawning over the fact that Dean Cox got the footy 25 times a game but before they realised that 90% of those touches were cheap kicks in the back pocket that were usually not particularly dangerous. All of a sudden here's this mop headed bloke in purple stepping nimble midfielders, taking marks, linking play across the middle of the ground, breaking away from packs and hoofing the thing inside 50 regularly. He did a hell of a lot of things right and caused plenty of headaches for opposition coaches. The bloke who was supposed to responsible for minding Happy struggled to stay in the same postcode as him, let alone contest the footy with him. He found a flaw in the way the game was played and realised that a bloke of such athleticism who was a decent ruck was a massive anomaly. He was a niche player and a bit of a one trick pony, but it was a mighty impressive trick and I thought it was awesome to watch.

A ruckman with elite endurance, pace to burn, an ability to find the footy and the kick of a mule? Who had the leap to trouble even the tallest of opposition rucks?

He was a big deal. This was around the time that everyone was still fawning over the fact that Dean Cox got the footy 25 times a game but before they realised that 90% of those touches were cheap kicks in the back pocket that were usually not particularly dangerous. All of a sudden here's this mop headed bloke in purple stepping nimble midfielders, taking marks, linking play across the middle of the ground, breaking away from packs and hoofing the thing inside 50 regularly. He did a hell of a lot of things right and caused plenty of headaches for opposition coaches. The bloke who was supposed to responsible for minding Happy struggled to stay in the same postcode as him, let alone contest the footy with him. He found a flaw in the way the game was played and realised that a bloke of such athleticism who was a decent ruck was a massive anomaly. He was a niche player and a bit of a one trick pony, but it was a mighty impressive trick and I thought it was awesome to watch.

Well posted. Too many on this forum notice little and rememer less even a few short years ago. There was one pre season in 2007 where we were terrible except for Gilmore rucking and playing like a midfielder. And crashing packs. Game went by him in the end but derided too easily here.

Well said, he certainly played some blinders. When he was on he really was on. I'm not sure what clicked for me but he seemed to just run all day and was almost like a tall midfielder the ilk of Goodes on his good days. I'll never forget when he was regularly dominating and clocking up 46 poss. games for Souths while Medders was stinking it up for freo and just couldn't get dropped. Something just wasn't right back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Mitch Clark, so Ash Hansen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back