No more Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard on channel 7 that port melbourne and the kangaroos are no longer together. Apparently they had a dispute over something.

As much as it is an exterior competition, we need more control over our affiliate VFL club to allow development in our younger guys so we don't see Kris Shore and Brad Moran playing VFL Reserves.

I'm not too unhappy about the decision.. the alignment was causing problems for both parties.

I think Port can be successful as a stand-alone side.. There is also the increase in salary cap.

For North there are probably a few options: (in diminishing order of reality)

1. Try and field a Canberra side in the VFL
2. Seek permission to field a local side (the VFL wouldn't be keen on this)
3. Align with another club... Although I don't think there would be many clubs interested in this option.
4. Field a side in the VFL reserves
5. Don't have a side at all. or seek an arrangement where you simply release certain players to local clubs for match fitness.. AFLPA would stop that quicksmart.

I am sure North would have investigated other options before making a decision. I doubt that Port Melbourne just surprised them with a call. This looks to have been on the cards and I am sure both parties would have other plans ready to go.

benno87 said:
As much as it is an exterior competition, we need more control over our affiliate VFL club to allow development in our younger guys so we don't see Kris Shore and Brad Moran playing VFL Reserves.
Those guys deserve to be playing VFL reserves atm.

What got everyone annoyed was when the likes of Thewlis, Gibson, Schwarze, Trotter and Chad Jones were playing a lot of VFL reserves football earlier in the year. That concern was fixed somewhat with the abolishment of the 12/10 rule.

The concern now is that the Port coach is not playing the players in positions that the North coaching staff are happy with.

It also wouldn't surprise me if everyone at North thinks Saadi Ghazi is a clown and we are not prepared to entrust our kids' development to him.

The relationship has been rocky for several years. I was surprised we went around again this year - although that probably has more to do with dollars.

I heard that Laids is very frustrated that his instructions on game time and general positioning of players is ignored. hard to develop players or ease an injured player retruning back into the game.

Nth Ballarat would be great but I seem to recall that was tried last year as an alternative to PM but the boys in the outer western suburbs were not interested.

The only think I'll miss are the Burra Burgers.

Mmm.

I reckon problems were going to arise with having two pretty proud clubs with neither of the opinion they were the 'secondary' partners in the relationship. Port would be the hardest club to allign with IMO, probably because they are the welathiest and most proffessional. And North are not AFL heavyweights.

Dunno how to feel about it. I have always thought it is best for the playing list to have a stand alone side, but I don't know if we can do that.

And yes, Ghazi is a hack. Dunno how much that would have influenced anything, as he won't be there next year if Port are in any way competant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

onslaught said:
I'm not too unhappy about the decision.. the alignment was causing problems for both parties.

I think Port can be successful as a stand-alone side.. There is also the increase in salary cap.

For North there are probably a few options: (in diminishing order of reality)

2. Seek permission to field a local side (the VFL wouldn't be keen on this)
3. Align with another club... Although I don't think there would be many clubs interested in this option.
4. Field a side in the VFL reserves
5. Don't have a side at all. or seek an arrangement where you simply release certain players to local clubs for match fitness.. AFLPA would stop that quicksmart.

Hey Ons,

This may be a silly question but do you follow Port and the Roos? Id love you to still give us your thoughts on the senior Roos in the future.
Cheers
Spurs

onslaught said:

I think this would be very unlikely, since the Canberra AFL seems to be moderately successful in its own right, even to the point the Swans reserves play in this competition.

Which brings me to the next point, there should be no reason why we couldn't enter this league and at the same time, increase awareness of the Kangas in Canberra, as well as stimulate the Swans rivalry.

Either:
1. Play in the competition as Kangaroos Reserves
2. Align with afiliate club Ainslie
3. Re-instate the Murray Kangas and play in this comp.

spurs said:
Hey Ons,

This may be a silly question but do you follow Port and the Roos? Id love you to still give us your thoughts on the senior Roos in the future.
Cheers
Spurs

I have been a passionate supporter of the Borough, since my former club Camberwell folded in 92/93.

I am also a Bulldogs supporter since about 97.

Since Port's alignments with the Swans and North, I take an interest in how some of those players who represented Port are going. I enjoy watching North, and watch them when I get the chance, so I'm bound to put in my $0.02 on the Roos every now and then.

Ons, how receptive will the VFL be to another side if North decide to go alone..?

onslaught said:
I have been a passionate supporter of the Borough, since my former club Camberwell folded in 92/93.

I am also a Bulldogs supporter since about 97.

Since Port's alignments with the Swans and North, I take an interest in how some of those players who represented Port are going. I enjoy watching North, and watch them when I get the chance, so I'm bound to put in my $0.02 on the Roos every now and then.

The Bulldogs :eek: :eek:

Havent you felt the love??

Its only been since 97 so there is still a chance to join the Roos :D

Very interesting indeed.

Can we afford to have our own team in the VFL? Wasn't that a major reason why we decided to allign ourselves with Port instead of continuing with Murray?

Perhaps we'll be alligned with Frankston next year. Is this a possibility or do they wish to remain a stand alone club?

swatta on fox league teams said the split was all because of north not having much say in who gets a game at port, and port are not getting any money from the roos to be afiliated.

Not good for North, but Port would be relatively happy. Port can survive on their own easily, good facilities and base of VFL supporters.

What will North do? Playing in the Canberra league would be a joke - your kids would be pitted against rubbish opposition (would suit Urch!;)). The Murray Roos eventually folded so going it alone will be hard.

I can't see Ballarat or Franga taking any interest in aligning. Nor Tassie.
Interesting times ahead.

I would have thought North Ballarat would be the best option out of the VFL teams but that might not be a good fit as well.Somehow you will need to find a set up where you have more finacial input but it isnt easy for a lot of clubs and it is really something the AFL needs to look at. I would have thought it was in the AFL's best interests to make sure that all clubs have enough money to provide their kids a good second tier competition to play in. If it means funding the reported $200,000 to $250,000 cost to get it done then they should.
At the end of the day if you have the set up we have where we pay the wages of the coach and some of his assitants as well as having a finacial input into the club it works. Essendon also have some finacial comitments to the Bendigo League and juniors as well which helps it work.
I hope that things work out for North and they can either get their own side in or join another club. I get as much enjoyment getting around to all the Bendigo VFL games and checking out the young guys as i do going to the AFL.

As a few others have already said, this was bound to happen.

I reckon we'll end up aligning ourselves with one of the current VFL clubs. It's the best option cost wise and the infrastructure will be there.

I think the cost of running our own VFL club would be too high, and as appealing as the Canberra option is, the cost of sending a team up there every week would be an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

No more Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back