No o'keefe deal done

Remove this Banner Ad

think it works out by each of the salaries are cut by a third not half, if you had 4 it would be 25% but dont quote me....

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list what is called a Veteran Player.

In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years.
From 2006 there is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

or they could do carltons way and pay in cash.......or a job at visy cleaning dunnies for 200k a year:rolleyes:

your post was quite sensible up until this point...good to see this old chestnut getting another work out, is this where i should have a crack at essendon about something stupid and irrelevent?

People are saying he should nominate for the draft because he might slip to 16 because no one wants to get him over a younger player. What are the rules of the draft in terms of salary? He basically has to get paid whatever the team wants, right? If that was the case, surely Geelong would pick him up. That'd be pretty funny.

Anyway, I hope he resigns with us and Roos drops him to the reserves for the first month of the 09 season.

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list what is called a Veteran Player.

In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years.
From 2006 there is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

your post was quite sensible up until this point...good to see this old chestnut getting another work out, is this where i should have a crack at essendon about something stupid and irrelevent?

You ae correct - club can have as many Veterans if they want - however if they have 2 , 50% of each players salary does not count in cap. If they have 3 , 33.3% of each players salary does not count in cap.If they have 4, 25% of each players salary does not count in cap and so on....

o'keefe manager maxfield said

Maxfield added that a deal with Hawthorn or Carlton was not close at all.
"None of the clubs that Ryan and his management indicated they wanted to get to – none of those clubs came with a formal offer," Maxfield said, before conceding it was now an unfortunate situation for both parties.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68897

Make it clear, if Ryan is available at No1 in the PSD Melbourne WILL take him. The only reason we are sticking to 92.5% of the Salary Cap is because the AFL want us to. The AFL also said if a big name comes along that we can secure then that won't matter and we will still get the AFL hand out anyway.

ROFL what a kick in the guts it would be for ROK if he was forced to play for dees next season. :D:thumbsu:

o'keefe manager maxfield said

Maxfield added that a deal with Hawthorn or Carlton was not close at all.
"None of the clubs that Ryan and his management indicated they wanted to get to – none of those clubs came with a formal offer," Maxfield said, before conceding it was now an unfortunate situation for both parties.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68897

Maxfield is the Swans recruitment manager... not O'Keefe's manager.

Its just unbeliveably stupid and there will be much discussed about how bad this is.

Here u have one of the guys who can make a massive difference to any club straight away ...a guy right in his prime..a bloke everyone knows is the dux nuts....and he cannot even say "i'd like to go back to Melb tx"

Shame on the every damn melbourne club for being so stupidly pig headed and LAZY.

What its saying is that NOT ONE MELBOURNE BASED AFL CLUB FEELS A NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR LIST NEXT YEAR.

This bloke was as in demand as u can get...for the bargain price of a late 1st rounder and maybe a player there isnt a single club that could be stuffed.

Club officials dont want anything for the next few yrs...they are all so damn happy with their lists they can all afford to just sit back and see which lottery pix turn out ok one day far into the future.

Even the bottom 8 ones have such fantastic lists they cannot fit an A grader in...so much easier to do absolutely nothing and just HOPE they pick up someone who MIGHT work out one day.

Forget about next yr and the yr after...noone has the guts nor desire to do anything about it.

Noone feels a need to improve their list for next yr or the next two....just go with the flow and hope things turn out.

What an absolute bloody disgrace.

lol at the above post. bit upset are we. those clubs will now get him for a bargain price if he decides to leave. hooray for them. if he decides to stay, hooray for you. i doubt they were being pig headed and lazy. rat cunning is probably more accurate.

Its just unbeliveably stupid and there will be much discussed about how bad this is.

Here u have one of the guys who can make a massive difference to any club straight away ...a guy right in his prime..a bloke everyone knows is the dux nuts....and he cannot even say "i'd like to go back to Melb tx"

Shame on the every damn melbourne club for being so stupidly pig headed and LAZY.

What its saying is that NOT ONE MELBOURNE BASED AFL CLUB FEELS A NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR LIST NEXT YEAR.

This bloke was as in demand as u can get...for the bargain price of a late 1st rounder and maybe a player there isnt a single club that could be stuffed.

Club officials dont want anything for the next few yrs...they are all so damn happy with their lists they can all afford to just sit back and see which lottery pix turn out ok one day far into the future.

Even the bottom 8 ones have such fantastic lists they cannot fit an A grader in...so much easier to do absolutely nothing and just HOPE they pick up someone who MIGHT work out one day.

Forget about next yr and the yr after...noone has the guts nor desire to do anything about it.

Noone feels a need to improve their list for next yr or the next two....just go with the flow and hope things turn out.

What an absolute bloody disgrace.

Woah, just sounds like you a very bitter that you got nothing and will possibly lose him for nothing. This is a fairly average post. Firstly what is the problem with clubs not making a play for ROK? No one would ever question his ability or possible impact etc but where is the rule that says clubs HAVE to make a play when a good players decides he wants to switch clubs? The much publicised 'last uncompromised draft' has also lead clubs to being much more stingy with their picks, particularly the early ones that ROK would have commanded, and rightfully so.

With respect to the bottom teams 'not wanting to improve their lists' this is simply a naive way of looking at it. It is as clear as day that ROK would improve any list in the afl, no doubt about it. But at what cost? some teams are simply not in the position to take on a 28 year old (gun) who is not even going to be playing when their next chnace for a flag is. hence why they would prefer to use the draft picks and build up a suceessful team, ala Hawthorn

So lay off the angry pills mate and chill out, its hard to fathom why u have just have a huge crack at the clubs here apart from your obvious bitterness and losing ROK possibly for nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So lay off the angry pills mate and chill out, its hard to fathom why u have just have a huge crack at the clubs here apart from your obvious bitterness and losing ROK possibly for nothing

Dont even THINK about trying to tell me how to voice my opinion in here newbie....understand that what u think simply isnt important.

The only thing of any importance in this to me is MY opinion...and i'll damn well voice it.

I think ROK will nominate for the preseason draft. Channel 10 reported Carlton offered $2 million over 4 years, not that i believe that but he will know that he'll receive the big bucks from whoever club that picks him if he nominates

ROK will be playing at Carlton next year if he doesnt re- sign with Sydney.. Why would an interstate side recruit him and pay him 550k a year if he doesnt want to be there.. Too bigger risk. He wants to come home. We would have the most left in the cap out of the Melbourne teams. On SEN this morning it was reported that Icke or Swan said we had enough room for 3 ROK's. That 600k omment would have already taken into account us getting Warnock. All we have to do is make the first year of his contract high enough that he gets through to us. Im pretty sure even if he nominates for the natonal draft he still has to nominate his price. If thats the case, if we are the only ones who could afford him, we could use pick 90 and still have a pick in the PSD.. But its more likely hewill just nominate for the PSD where we will get him..

ROK will be playing at Carlton next year if he doesnt re- sign with Sydney.. Why would an interstate side recruit him and pay him 550k a year if he doesnt want to be there.. Too bigger risk. He wants to come home. We would have the most left in the cap out of the Melbourne teams. On SEN this morning it was reported that Icke or Swan said we had enough room for 3 ROK's. That 600k omment would have already taken into account us getting Warnock. All we have to do is make the first year of his contract high enough that he gets through to us. Im pretty sure even if he nominates for the natonal draft he still has to nominate his price. If thats the case, if we are the only ones who could afford him, we could use pick 90 and still have a pick in the PSD.. But its more likely hewill just nominate for the PSD where we will get him..

You are forgetting about Essendon, i reckon they will decide whether we get him or not. Only if they finished above us this year :(

i think the 3 interstate clubs have enough sense not to draft against a players express wishes.
I cant see him sliding to carlton. Melbourne would be hot for him as a massive boost to their forward line, and essendon wouldnt skip a heartbeat picking him up

THAT said, if the swans knew he was going into the PSD anyway, they would have dealt with whatever the hawks, blues or dons were offering in the first place.

he'll be a swan next year, though it will be interesting how the infamous swans leadership group stomach his trade-week behaviour....

he'll be a swan next year, though it will be interesting how the infamous swans leadership group stomach his trade-week behaviour....

huh ?..what are u talking about ?

His "trade week behaviour" has been nothing but perfect.

All he's done is ask for a move back to Melbourne and done it all the right way.

People forget the human side of players sometimes..preferring to see them only as commodities.

OKeefe has had personal tragedy and also got married this yr.

Who knows what family reasons he has...he was very happy up here so why doesnt the avge joe on here actually understand he must have had good reason for a move.

As far as AFL players are concerned this guy has EARNT respect enough for a bit of understanding by all...HE MUST HAVE HIS REASONS and we arnt privy to them coz its his business only.

if he is playing for my mob next yr it will be business as usual..and i guarantee he'll be giving 100% as always.

i think the 3 interstate clubs have enough sense not to draft against a players express wishes.
I cant see him sliding to carlton. Melbourne would be hot for him as a massive boost to their forward line, and essendon wouldnt skip a heartbeat picking him up

THAT said, if the swans knew he was going into the PSD anyway, they would have dealt with whatever the hawks, blues or dons were offering in the first place.

Melbourne dont have the $$$$$$ especialyy after re signing Green for 3 years.If he goes intto the PSD it'll between Bombers and the Blues i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

No o'keefe deal done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back