No one EVER question Youngs placement in the side again

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been good all year, and improved in the areas that had been letting him/the team down. I think it's time for everyone to stand up and ask for Gary to take a bow - he got this one right. I jumped on board with him earlier in the year, I feel like a fool for not seeing Clint's improvement coming.

i am one to admit i was wrong....i have always potted the bloke from the sidelines........but i have to take my hat off to him.....top game and showed some balls to go in hard....

Ohh..... here we go..... time to be really honest.

After a few fumbles in the Saints game, I questioned his selection.

Then.... I think it was the second quarter....he fumbles an easy collect and I said .....

"We should not have selected him.....can't handle the pressure."

Goo recovered from the fumble and we didn't lose the ball...... one minute later.....

The seventy metre goal.

I ate my words....and will bite my tounge forever more! :)

Exactly.

I've been saying this for a while now, he's the one player (aside from Bateman) that presents and presents and presents when we're getting bogged down, he literally never stops running. And he's can really defeat zones (like Geelongs) or floods with his agressive running and fantastic long bombs.

I have much time and BIG LOVE for Youngy.

Exactly.

I've been saying this for a while now, he's the one player (aside from Bateman) that presents and presents and presents when we're getting bogged down, he literally never stops running. And he's can really defeat zones (like Geelongs) or floods with his agressive running and fantastic long bombs.

I have much time and BIG LOVE for Youngy.

i think people finally realise why he's in the team.

he has always had pace.
he has always ran hard and created an option.
despite his skinny frame, he's always tried hard and contested.
the big noticeable change, was that he sunk 2 long bomb goals in the finals.

the penny finally drops.
he has been doing all of those things, but he hasn't been able to slot goals. once he nails a couple, he's the ultimate offensive weapon.

i'm not sure whether he'll be an automatic selection and i haven't ever been one his doubters because i've always said he should be played. but, we are starting to build good depth of runners, so he will remain nuder pressure.

but, having gotten the confidence of sinking long bombs, i think we'll be seeing more of that next year which should keep him in the side all of next year.

He is definately in our best 22 no doubt about. And I loved his game yesterday. A few of his across ground turn overs made me cringe a few times but he made up for it!

Well done Youngy! A year ago many wanted you crucified, now we all love you. Not through chance however, but your hard work, dedication and commitment to the team! Awesome stuff!! Inspiring to all up and comers :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like him wing / forward of the centre.
Still uneasy with him clearing the ball out of defence.
but by this time next year he'll have that mastered. :)

Yep. Played a blinder. Seems to have filled out through the year as well. Would love him to add a tiny bit more weight and work on his tackling and body position when the ball is being contested.

Has been a huge improver though.

He was a full forward as a kid wasn't he?

He is definately in our best 22 no doubt about. And I loved his game yesterday. A few of his across ground turn overs made me cringe a few times but he made up for it!

I'm a fan & I felt him & Bateman were gonna be really important to us in giving us some run out but yeah a couple of those crossfield turnovers were awful.

Get rid of those brain fades & he really will be able to nail down a permanent place in the side (if he hasn't already).

Yep. Played a blinder. Seems to have filled out through the year as well. Would love him to add a tiny bit more weight and work on his tackling and body position when the ball is being contested.

Has been a huge improver though.

He was a full forward as a kid wasn't he?
yeah he played as a forward as a kid. was a good player. used to play practice matches against him. was also a freak at cricket. played for Minuyp Murtoa. Good fella. good on him and the hawks. Youngy was def in front for the norm smith before he hurt himself.
Go the HAWKS. and i dont even follow them.

They showed that he leads our club's marking stat for the year. This is because he works so hard to make ground and demand the ball.

He is one of the only genuine wingmen in the AFL.

His aggression since being dropped has been awesome. Everytime he gets the ball he adds 100m to our attack. Kicking goals is what is turning him from a good player into, as blase said, a WEAPON.

Onya Youngy - played with premiership spirit on Saturday!

I noticed when I came down for the Saints game that late in the match he was one of the few still running hard in to space to provide an option. He kept getting ignored, but he kept running.

(I do still think it would be nice if he could get to 50/50 in a contested situation rather than being beaten 95% of the time though.)

Firstly can I say that I am a fan of Young. His long kicking is absolutely amazing. And that goal in the gf was a shining example of this.

However, and this is just my opinion, I actually didn't think he played nearly as well in the gf as others seem to.

Yes he had lots of touches, but that shouldn't necessarily be the yardstick. He had 19 possessions, six of which were clangers. Every third time he touched the ball he turned it over. I honestly winced every time he got near the ball hoping his mistake wouldn't cost us on the rebound.

The only time I felt confident in his output was as he charged on goal. There was no doubt that he would put it through.

Please take this in the spirit it is meant. I like Young and he will absolutely be an outstanding player for us over the next ten years, however I thought I would throw my two cents worth in the ring for discussion.

Firstly can I say that I am a fan of Young. His long kicking is absolutely amazing. And that goal in the gf was a shining example of this.

However, and this is just my opinion, I actually didn't think he played nearly as well in the gf as others seem to.

Yes he had lots of touches, but that shouldn't necessarily be the yardstick. He had 19 possessions, six of which were clangers. Every third time he touched the ball he turned it over. I honestly winced every time he got near the ball hoping his mistake wouldn't cost us on the rebound.

The only time I felt confident in his output was as he charged on goal. There was no doubt that he would put it through.

Please take this in the spirit it is meant. I like Young and he will absolutely be an outstanding player for us over the next ten years, however I thought I would throw my two cents worth in the ring for discussion.

Know what ya mean skipjack,

Some of those centreing kicks off the half back flank could have really burnt us. The value Young adds though is how he opens the game up. The GF was a very congested, contested game and for someone to open it up the way Young did was brilliant - I think this is his real value.

Remove this Banner Ad

No one EVER question Youngs placement in the side again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back