No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty sure it is actually done.
It is, just not exactly in the way you described. It's a weighted fixture by 'brackets' of 6 based on last year's finishing position:
  • A bottom 6 team can only have max 1 double up against a top 6 side.
  • A top 6 team can only have max 1 double up against a bottom 6 side.
  • A middle 6 team can only have max 2 double ups against bottom 6 sides, and max 2 against top 6 sides.
  • A team can double up against up to 3 teams in their own 'bracket'

This basically allows the AFL to fixture all/almost all of the so called blockbuster match ups twice whilst also attempting to show some level of fairness, although its still far from fair. If a bracket did happen to include the 6 biggest Vic clubs, they would miss out on scheduling some of those big games twice.

It is, just not exactly in the way you described. It's a weighted fixture by 'brackets' of 6 based on last year's finishing position:
  • A bottom 6 team can only have max 1 double up against a top 6 side.
  • A top 6 team can only have max 1 double up against a bottom 6 side.
  • A middle 6 team can only have max 2 double ups against bottom 6 sides, and max 2 against top 6 sides.
  • A team can double up against up to 3 teams in their own 'bracket'

This basically allows the AFL to fixture all/almost all of the so called blockbuster match ups twice whilst also attempting to show some level of fairness, although its still far from fair. If a bracket did happen to include the 6 biggest Vic clubs, they would miss out on scheduling some of those big games twice.
I wonder if this contributes to teams being trapped in mediocrity and more extended “dynasty” periods at the top?

Shit teams can artificially rise due to easy fixtures and worsen their draft hand in the following year, only to then drop down again. Essendon had an easy draw last year as a result of finishing 13th in 2020 and as a result had draft access worse than several teams who are clearly better than them. I don’t care because it’s Essendon but still.

NFL has the perfect business model when it comes to fixturing, less is more and you rotate the fixture fairly.

Wouldn’t be against a 17-round season based on an 18-team comp, play everyone once and over 2 seasons it’s once home & once away.

But it’s probably less money for the AFL that way, so it will never happen

Wouldn’t be against a 17-round season based on an 18-team comp, play everyone once and over 2 seasons it’s once home & once away.

You would think it is less money but the time TV rights roll around they will just keep going up and up as the product is still in demand but less of it is on offer so a premium will be paid. Plus the fixture is evened out.

North are going to target the vets on the tigers list among other ‘leaders’. Potentially jumping jack. Assume Cotchin on the hotlist too.
What's the attraction for Riewoldt or Cotchin? Maybe a bit more $$$, but weigh that against being one-club players, which still seems to hold some cachet amongst players. Unless Tiges are happy to move them on, but neither would be on top dollar would they? Both have a legacy at Punt Rd, would they be prepared to tarnish that, even with the carrot of helping North rebuild? I know Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis finished up elsewhere for various reasons, I just don't see either of those Richmond boys going elsewhere. That's just me though, I wouldn't be shocked if they did, just don't see it happening.

North would also have to do a lot of selling on several fronts to lure that type of player, I'd imagine. Maybe it will hinge on who replaces Noble?

Edit: Every time I discuss Riewoldt I think about the 2006 draft.
We took Andrejs Everitt at pick 11.
Riewoldt went at pick 13.
Todd Goldstein went at 37.
Robbie Gray at 55.
(We had another pick in there too - Brennan Stack at 45.)

Last edited:
North are going to target the vets on the tigers list among other ‘leaders’. Potentially jumping jack. Assume Cotchin on the hotlist too.
Sensible move if they can pull it off.

While they wallow at the bottom North will continue to amass picks or trades for young talent but unless they get some leadership and development of "culture" they will remain in the cellar for many more years to come.

It doesn't matter who the coaches are. Some of the regrowth has to come from the attitude, professionalism and leadership of the more experienced players on the list. Right now they don't seem to have enough of those types because it's clearly not working for them.

What's the attraction for Riewoldt or Cotchin? Maybe a bit more $$$, but weigh that against being one-club players, which still seems to hold some cachet amongst players. Unless Tiges are happy to move them on, but neither would be on top dollar would they? Both have a legacy at Punt Rd, would they be prepared to tarnish that, even with the carrot of helping North rebuild? I know Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis finished up elsewhere for various reasons, I just don't see either of those Richmond boys going elsewhere. That's just me though, I wouldn't be shocked if they did, just don't see it happening.

North would also have to do a lot of selling on several fronts to lure that type of player, I'd imagine. Maybe it will hinge on who replaces Noble?

Edit: Every time I discuss Riewoldt I think about the 2006 draft.
We took Andrejs Everitt at pick 11.
Riewoldt went at pick 13.
Todd Goldstein went at 37.
Robbie Gray at 55.
(We had another pick in there too - Brennan Stack at 45.)
Scott Clayton’s finest work?

3 x six team divisions, Play your own division home and away, play the other divisions once = 22 rounds.
Divisions purely based on last seasons finishing positions so no guaranteed Carl/Coll/Ess/Rich double ups.
Top 2 of each division and two best overall records go through.

Completely fair and no chance of happening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbournes jumper is a dogs breakfast of more is more design.

Geelong fans are up and about early and booooing everything in sight.

This game is going to be excruciating test for the eyes and ears from a neutrals point of view.

Melbournes jumper is a dogs breakfast of more is more design.

Geelong fans are up and about early and booooing everything in sight.

This game is going to be excruciating test for the eyes and ears from a neutrals point of view.
Looks like some sort of Christmas jumper.

Most embarrassing is the music after a goal - I thought they were playing GWS for a minute.

Geelong miss Stewart quite a bit. Hope Hawkins belts May with Jeremy Cameron’s fist and all three get rubbed out for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back