Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shane Crawford on the Front Bar last night said that he had an offer to join Port in the late 1990's which included 'assistance in getting him a McDonalds Franchise'

Maybe Wanganeen's Maccas store was up for sale by then?

He misunderstood. They said they'd take him to McDonalds.

Again, look it up. The commentators tell you. At the ground they are too far away. Thats why you have numbers. So you can look it up. Its not hard man! Imagine what it was like before the internet and your phones. You had to read a magazine.....OMG right! The horror.
Imagine what you could still do without a phone! Look at a jumper, why is it so offensive to you?

because they are pointless, long names are too hard to read.

No it isnt. the movie analogy is 100% spot on. Its the same thing. Whose that actor?

Look if you need the names on gurnseys because looking it up is way too hard for you, well you are just the type of supporter that will ruin it for everyone else.
An actor has a name and a screen name, football players don’t have a screen name.
I didn’t say it’s too hard, but who wants to be looking at a phone when you’re at the footy?

Midweek Tackle spuds (Landsberger) are putting it out there that Port HAVE flagged that they’re willing to trade Dan Houston but only for 2 x 1st rounders, or a high 1st and 2nd ,particularly off the back of Port allegedly having the Perryman deal all but tied up.
It’s apparently Melbourne that wants Houston, and they’ve got an early pick (and future picks) to burn whilst their window is open…

Just bookmark this, if it eventuates, Port will essentially be replacing Perryman with Houston, which is a downgrade, whilst getting back into a super draft with at least one high draft pick..

Culturally for Port I think it’s deplorable, as it technically doesn’t make them better in the short term and puts their loyalty into question, but if they get a couple of really good kids in this year, and the quality of Perryman coming in for Houston isn’t that big of a difference, it’s a huge result.

Some might remember me mentioning weeks ago I could sense Port were using Twomey to really get some carrots dangling out there in the media to flag their intentions, or to see what interest they can shake out of the tree from clubs..

Strap yourselves in everyone, could be another checkmate from Port at the Trade/Draft table!

EDIT: You heard it here first, after much haggling Port trade Houston for Melbournes Pick 9 by itself, Port trade that and their 2025 1st to the club that is one place ahead of us in the draft.

Port take Draper.

Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Midweek Tackle spuds (Landsberger) are putting it out there that Port HAVE flagged that they’re willing to trade Dan Houston but only for 2 x 1st rounders, or a high 1st and 2nd ,particularly off the back of Port allegedly having the Perryman deal all but tied up.
It’s apparently Melbourne that wants Houston, and they’ve got an early pick (and future picks) to burn whilst their window is open…

Just bookmark this, if it eventuates, Port will essentially be replacing Perryman with Houston, which is a downgrade, whilst getting back into a super draft with at least one high draft pick..

Culturally for Port I think it’s deplorable, as it technically doesn’t make them better in the short term and puts their loyalty into question, but if they get a couple of really good kids in this year, and the quality of Perryman coming in for Houston isn’t that big of a difference, it’s a huge result.

Some might remember me mentioning weeks ago I could sense Port were using Twomey to really get some carrots dangling out there in the media to flag their intentions, or to see what interest they can shake out of the tree from clubs..

Strap yourselves in everyone, could be another checkmate from Port at the Trade/Draft table!

EDIT: You heard it here first, after much haggling Port trade Houston for Melbournes Pick 9 by itself, Port trade that and their 2025 1st to the club that is one place ahead of us in the draft.

Port take Draper.

Hahahaha

Except Draper will go top 2 ;)

Port take Draper.

Hahahaha

Houston is a good player , not sure he’s worth 2 firsts .
But it’s smart play from the pear, cash in on someone who is surplus for picks , top up with an equal free agent , and use the picks to replenish their list through the draft .

I have heard it all. A decent half back flanker albeit in contract and its a top 10 pick and another 1st now?. I also read on their board he is apparently the best kick in the league. Sorry but i will take Tex's field kicking over houstons every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Melbourne if they really want him should split their 1st for 2 later 1sts and flick one of them to port and maybe a f2 tops. Handing over pick 9 seems to be well overs for mine.

Again, look it up. The commentators tell you. At the ground they are too far away. Thats why you have numbers. So you can look it up. Its not hard man! Imagine what it was like before the internet and your phones. You had to read a magazine.....OMG right! The horror.

If Hungry Jacks can be on a guernsey I can’t see why a name is a problem?

If Hungry Jacks can be on a guernsey I can’t see why a name is a problem?

Its an overall look. The NBA for example flat out refuses to allow sponsors on the jumpers even though players names are on it. Why? because they hate the look and dont want players being walking billboards.

The NFL is in the same boat. Soccer has names on the back but no sponsors and a single jumper sponsor on the front.

So what do we want. Names you only look at once and the jumpers to stay as they are or do we want both, making the jumper look busy and unprofessional like NBL jerseys or do you want to remove a clubs income to free up space for a name.

I dont see whats wrong with them now. Plus if any of you have actually read all the posts debating me on this topic, no one has actually given a reason aside from 'why not' :drunk:

I have already said

Names are too hard to read when they are long, they have to shrink the lettering which defeats the purpose of being readable. People have managed for 150 years to learn the names of players i find it weird many of you think todays people have a hard time.

It is a stupid look. Names look stupid on the back of every jumper in any sport.

The reason names are on jumpers to begin with isnt for education its for jumper sales. Big pro sports use it as part of establishing contracts with players to add a revenue stream for the players, especially star players.

Many of you are saying, thats great lets do it. So what then. The AFL decides to put names on jumpers, We put a handful of our star players names on jumpers and sell them. The AfLPA then go, hold up, youve just made 100K selling jumpers with players names on them. We should get 50% of all profits. Its the players name after all. There goes club profit from merchandise that they would have got had the jumpers been plain. They also demand every listed player has their jumpers for sale as part of their contract. But the club and sponsors who forked out thousands making jumpers they cant sell with fringe player and players on their way out, mean any profits are negligible. Which again means they fall into the bargain bin.

If you go into a sport shop in any town in the USA they have garbage bins full of cheap jumpers left over with names no longer associated with the club or names of squad members you have never heard of. The only ones who make money are the star players.

And yes, the minute you put names on match day jumpers, every supporter every kid will want a replica. Then you get the annoyance of that player leaves or a star player comes. So then what. Be careful what you wish for is all I am saying.

Doesnt mean it works though from a practical perspective. Its more about marketing and sales with a lot of sports because players take a % as part of their income.

But even in basketball, soccer you arent reading the names. Serves no purpose.
Soccer jerseys and basketball singlets are also more socially acceptable casual wear, walking advertising. How many people wear AFL Guernseys publically when not going to a game or footy training?

If you go to Colonnades, Marion, West Lakes, Arndale, Elizabeth, Rundle Mall, Tea Tree plaza on a weekend they'll be dozens of basketball and soccer jerseys but won't see any AFL Guernseys only club polo shirts or t-shirts

I dont see whats wrong with them now. Plus if any of you have actually read all the posts debating me on this topic, no one has actually given a reason aside from 'why not' :drunk:
Just because you don’t agree with the reason or you didn’t read it, doesn’t mean we haven’t given you reasons.
It gives a simple quick help to some who maybe don’t remember numbers and names associations and who wants to be buried in a phone looking it up regularly.
Plus there’s no down side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why do they need to read the names?
It would be useful for people watching electronically--the great majority.
The fact is that commentators don't call games any more. They tell viewers what the sides need to do to win the game outright barrack for their favourites and let us know how they went in particular games yonks ago and how their best mate went. The AFL commentary is useless to people that don't know the great majority of players on opposition sides.
Names on jumpers would be a great help.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should they? Playing a good team, who have they beaten to convince you they will beat Carlton away? Richmond?
Carlton missing TDK, Acres and now McKay, and have been in rubbish form the last 3 weeks. Their 2 wins in the last month have been Richmond and barely getting over North.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Carlton won, but they're by no means a shoe in.

I'm tipping Port.

They play under the dome very well. Farrell and Rozee to clean up.
Remember that year (probably finals finishing im guessing)
when Port got a golden run of star opposition players out every time they met?
The record books don't show who was in or out... but they do show Kerny has achieved fug all...regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back