Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Port fans combine Hinkley's poor finals coaching with their lacklustre list outside the midfield and blame all of that on Hinkley

The evidence seen across his career so far suggests he lacks the last 10-20% needed to go from a good H&A coach, to a premiership winning coach

But he's not an awful coach. To reach finals consistently on the level Port have done requires a reasonable coach. There are several seasons I'd even say they've performed above expectations given their list.
Brisbane under Fagan are a bit the same, though with a slightly better list.

Stringer - another reason clubs seemed to have cooled on him

Yeah interesting, they don't explicitly say why the people they are hanging out with are unsavoury, this probably should have been kept in house but I guess due to Stringer looking for a trade some one in formed those clubs.

Interesting....Think he'd have plenty of support, IMO it's being overdone, the instance at the Gabba was cringeworthy.

Yeah interesting, they don't explicitly say why the people they are hanging out with are unsavoury, this probably should have been kept in house but I guess due to Stringer looking for a trade some one in formed those clubs.
Someone on the main board said that its an Essendon ploy

Talked him down to get a cheaper price from the Bullies and talk him down so nobody takes him

Kinda makes sense

Is Hinkley as bad as the Port fans believe?

I reckon they believe he is a lot worse than we think he is.

He's our version of Neil Craig, a very good home and away coach, but doesn't have the strategic tools and feel to be successful in the last fortnight of a season. Dixon being selected is a perfect example, he's cooked and he will cost them dearly on rebound. But he coaches for the average, in finals you need to coach against your opponents as well. He doesn't do that and nor did Craig. Focussing on executing your game plan only gets you so far at the pointy end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically we should have done the same with Tex.

Fogarty is 25 and has played over 100 games. If he still needs Tex to hold his hand (Narrator: he doesn't), we've got big problems.

The usual suspects are saying that we still need Tex to mentor Welsh. I wonder what will happen next year if we're looking like drafting a 3rd round quality forward, will we need Tex to go around again? Should we tap Rory on the shoulder, we might be bringing in a pick 4 mid, who's going to mentor him?

North have lost the plot if they recruit Jack Darling on a multi year deal

He is charcoal crisp level of cooked.

Looks like they are falling into the experience trap
I'm sick of clubs signing old players who should be retired (looking at you, Gold Coast and Martin). It's a pointless waste of cap space and taints that player's mystique of being a one-club player.

Bit of a throwaway line sure, but there were HUGE doubts whether his style of play would ever be ultimately successful. He was belted in his 3 previous GFs and not even God could save him in 89.

Hinkley has had the same questions held over him through his coaching career with a vastly inferior playing squad.
Blight was a very attacking coach at Geelong, but perhaps his secret was that in our two premiership years, we were the stingiest side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back