Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him, wish some other clubs (us, WC) would complain too.
While I agree with a lot of what he is saying, reality is St Kilda are a club who had countless opportunities to win a premiership over the last 30 years, but failed as a result of bad luck / lack of a killer instinct / ultra defensive coaching (hi Ross). They have also made some awful off field decisions, most notably the move to Seaford, and get more financial assistance than any other Victorian club. If we are brutally honest, they shouldn’t exist in a national comp.

While I agree with a lot of what he is saying, reality is St Kilda are a club who had countless opportunities to win a premiership over the last 30 years, but failed as a result of bad luck / lack of a killer instinct / ultra defensive coaching (hi Ross). They have also made some awful off field decisions, most notably the move to Seaford, and get more financial assistance than any other Victorian club. If we are brutally honest, they shouldn’t exist in a national comp.

They also took dud players high in the draft directly before superstars on multiple occasions so it's a bit rich to complain that the draft is unfair when their current side should have both Bontempelli and Petracca in it

They also took dud players high in the draft directly before superstars on multiple occasions so it's a bit rich to complain that the draft is unfair when their current side should have both Bontempelli and Petracca in it
Doesn’t change the fact that he’s right, Vic teams whinged about making changes this year but it’s the Premier who is going to benefit.

Plus all clubs make some dud calls, look at us ;)

Robbo has given it away on AFL 360.
Sarah Jones I like but they will probably go for a similar loud personality to balance out with Whately.
And probably need a news breaker type for the show.

The concern is potentially overpaying for Baker. But we need to boost the list, particularly in that age bracket. In line with Don’s vision of a more “modern” list build.
surely pick 3 cant be involved with Baker as rumoured? even if sliding back to a later mid-late first rounder?

mate, thoughts on Eagles taking Draper at 3 (assuming you retain)? Any speculation re this in the media or from good sources?

Last edited:
They are also not one of the favoured Vic clubs though.

They don't get the handouts, and the AFL brokered trades like say... Geelong.

Not quite the bullshit we suffer (they'd play a GF at a more-or-less home ground for example).

Good on him, wish some other clubs (us, WC) would complain too.
Bit naff to do it at your B&F though. Regardless of results, it's still kind of a celebratory end of year function, getting up and having a sook as to why your club is no good is kind of lame.

Carlton clearly don't think Houston is worth Pick 11 in a strong draft.

I suspect the reality is beginning to set in that two first rounders was a pipe dream that was never realistic.

Ultimately Houston is only worth what club's are prepared to pay and it seems that Carlton think he's only worth a pick in teens.

I saw a clip of Rucci discussing Houston and he more or less hinted that Port needed to move Houston on to obtain draft capital, I suspect the "we'll keep him" threat is an empty one.

It could easily end up that the Houston and Luko trades could end up being around the same value.
But if Kangas are offering a F1 doesnt that then rate him a top 5 pick (Kangas equal second bottom in betting - Sportsbet)

They are also not one of the favoured Vic clubs though.

They don't get the handouts, and the AFL brokered trades like say... Geelong.

Not quite the bullshit we suffer (they'd play a GF at a more-or-less home ground for example).
re handouts no draft ones like Kangas recent haul, but they have recd more $$$ from H/O than anyone else havent they?

edit - also no doubt a partly political/lobbying statement as per the below from H Sun today

Defender Josh Battle did not attend the best-and-fairest despite finishing third, after announcing his intention to join Hawthorn as a free agent.

Lyon made a quick quip that he hoped the AFL would “do the right thing” and hand the Saints draft pick No. 8 as compensation for his departure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo has given it away on AFL 360.
Sarah Jones I like but they will probably go for a similar loud personality to balance out with Whately.
And probably need a news breaker type for the show.
He doesn’t fit any of the traits you suggest but Dunstall?

I havent minded Lewis when he's been on the show, but he was too coherent to replace Robbo
Robbo and Whately were a great combo complimenting each other well. Robbo, still with a deep understanding of the game and good sources, as the more emotive 'bloke on the hill' type perspective and his offsider the extremely eloquent, high IQ and balanced perspective (on most occasions)

Will be hard to replicate this dynamic IMO

surely pick 3 cant be involved with Baker as rumoured? even if sliding back to a later mid-late first rounder?

mate, thoughts on Eagles taking Draper at 3 (assuming you retain)? Any speculation re this in the media or from good sources?

Oh no, not pick 3 :) Supposedly the pick we get from Hawthorn should the Barrass trade go through, likely Pick 13.

I will need to read through our draft/trade thread to see, but from what people have posted, he (Draper) is in the mix for sure.

A couple of interesting comments

Like his sentiments, would be nice to see Olsen put his big boy pants on and say soemthing similar.

Don't like that these words came from St Kilda, the biggest receiver of handouts in the Victorian AFL landscape - his club should not even be in the elite national competition.

Carlton clearly don't think Houston is worth Pick 11 in a strong draft.

I suspect the reality is beginning to set in that two first rounders was a pipe dream that was never realistic.

Ultimately Houston is only worth what club's are prepared to pay and it seems that Carlton think he's only worth a pick in teens.

I saw a clip of Rucci discussing Houston and he more or less hinted that Port needed to move Houston on to obtain draft capital, I suspect the "we'll keep him" threat is an empty one.

It could easily end up that the Houston and Luko trades could end up being around the same value.
Then whoever is Carlton's list manager is clueless, of course Houston is worth pick 11 to a team that believes it's in a Premiership window and a serious contender. What they want is their cake and to eat it too and Powa aren't playing that game.

Those draft picks of course! :p Club is trying to accelerate the rebuild.
and its the right strategy IMO. Eagles, along with various others inc Tigers, Pies etc - currently have a bit of a scary list demographic and IMO need to hit the draft very hard now the next 2-3 years before Tassie enters and gets priority for probably a couple of years. Clearing out older players not part of next flag push that can net good first round draft picks (in a quality and deep draft) seems a no brainer to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back