Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not supposed to copy/paste whole articles anyway, according to the BigFooty rules - due to copyright.

You're supposed to post 1-2 paragraphs max, and only if you've added your own commentary/discussion to go along with it. This makes it justifiable under the "fair use" provisions of copyright.

Could be that Houston is happy to go to multiple clubs, in which case Port can seek the highest bidder from among his chosen few. Players usually nominate just 1 club, but there's no reason why they couldn't nominate more.
Port could even agree to pay some of his salary if he goes to the club that gives them the best offer.

Could be that Houston is happy to go to multiple clubs, in which case Port can seek the highest bidder from among his chosen few. Players usually nominate just 1 club, but there's no reason why they couldn't nominate more.
in theory yes but has this ever happened? i cant recall a player ever saying get me back to Vic (with numerous options available) and allowing the incumbent cub to dictate the ultimate club based on compensation recd

Port could even agree to pay some of his salary if he goes to the club that gives them the best offer.
my understanding is Houston on a modest contract - perhaps 3/4 years left @ 650k and this is likely to be upgraded with a new club to a new 5/6 years at 850k+ (same as Crows extended ANB from 2->4 years)

in theory yes but has this ever happened? i cant recall a player ever saying get me back to Vic (with numerous options available) and allowing the incumbent cub to dictate the ultimate club based on compensation recd
As I said... they "usually" nominate just 1 club, but there's no rule saying that they have to do so.

top 50 out now by Robbo - hard to copy and paste and dont have time to edit. If formatting ignores u, pls just ignore

No Dawson in there? Rankine mentioned as top 20 on talent but didnt play enough. Houston mid 20's, JHF 19th and Butters 7th. No prize for Captain Hardness

Robbo’s Top 50: Mark Robinson names his top 50 AFL players after the 2024 season
Marcus Bontempelli would be Mark Robinson’s first picked if he was building a team from scratch. But the Bont comes in at No. 4 in his Top 50 of 2024. See who surpassed him and have your say.

Mark Robinson
Mark Robinson
Chief Football Writer
October 8, 2024 - 5:00AM

heraldsun.com.au02:10
Mark Robinson's Top 50: I'd pick Bont but he's not No. 1

Mark Robinson breaks down the top four players in his post-season Top 50.
AFL
Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.

follow
If they were cards in the deck, they’d be the four aces – Cripps, Daicos, Heeney and Bontempelli.

Any of them could be the No. 1 player depending on how you judge their football in 2024.

This is not who you would pick if they were lined up against the wall – I’d probably take Bontempelli – this list is about performances this year.

SCROLL DOWN FOR THE FULL TOP 50 LIST AND HAVE YOUR SAY

For consistency, individual brilliance and impact on their team, you can’t go past Cripps.

The Carlton skipper set a Brownlow Medal record with 45 votes and while it was ridiculously inflated recognition of his season, he earnt the right to be regarded the No. 1 player in the competition.

He has the attributes which are widely admired. For me, he is a leader of men, not unlike his coach Michael Voss when he played.

Daicos, in his third year of footy, does everything except take contested marks and win hit-outs. For all 800-odd players in the game, the confidence in Daicos playing well week in and week out is higher than any other player.

He was one of seven players to surpass 700 possessions. The order was Tom Green, Lachie Neale, Lachie Whitfield, Adam Treloar, Dayne Zorko, Errol Gulden and Daicos. And all seven of these players are in the top 25. Three of them make the top 10.

Unlike the umpires and the coaches, whose awards celebrate midfielders to the point of absurdity, the forwards and defenders feature prominently in the top 50.

You are watching
Mark Robinson's Top 50: The players who just missed out
Continue watching
Click to unmute
Jesse Hogan was No. 5, Joe Daniher was No. 10 and Jeremy Cameron was No. 21.

Brisbane captain Harris Andrews was the first of the defenders at No. 13, then followed Jacob Weitering at No. 20 and Jeremy McGovern at No. 22.

Gold Coast Suns fullback Sam Collins was named No. 46. He did not poll a vote in the Brownlow Medal, coaches gave him votes in eight games, yet he won the Suns’ best fairest.

The first timers included Geelong B&F winner Max Holmes, Jason Horne-Francis, Hayden Young, Harry Sheezel, Dylan Moore, Tristan Xerri, Ed Richards, James Worpel and Massimo D’Ambrosio.

You are watching
Mark Robinson's Top 50: Biggest surprises
Continue watching
Click to unmute
Some of them have a lightning bolt beside their name, while others have been recognised for their vast improvement, namely Xerri, Richards and Worpel.

Assessing the Hawks gang after a blistering 2024 campaign was difficult. Included in the top 50 were B&F winner Jai Newcombe, James Sicily, Moore, D’Ambrosio and Worpel. The order in the best and fairest was Newcombe (155 votes), Moore 146, Jarman Impey 119, Worpel 116, Blake Hardwick 114, Connor Macdonald 113, Karl Amon 110, Jack Scrimshaw 108, Jack Ginnivan and Massimo D’Ambrosio.

Of note there, Sicily did not finish in the top 10 and D’Ambrosio was 10th, which makes you think the All-Australian selectors would feel somewhat vindicated leaving D’Ambrosio out of the team.

Joe Daniher is one of the highest-rated key position players in Mark Robinson’s Top 50. Picture: David Caird
Joe Daniher is one of the highest-rated key position players in Mark Robinson’s Top 50. Picture: David Caird
Richmond was without representation, Essendon had one player, North Melbourne players and West Coast two.

Premiers Brisbane had six players: Neale, Daniher, Andrews, McCluggage, Zorko and Rayner. Midfielder Josh Dunkley was out, then in, and then out of the top 50, beaten for the final spot by Gold Coast’s Sam Flanders.

Flanders averaged 31 disposals, which was the second most in the competition behind Treloar’s 31.5.

Adelaide’s Izak Rankine is a top 20 player on talent, but he only managed to play 15 games. He missed too much footy to be considered. As did Patty Dangerfield.

Robbo’s Top 50: Mark Robinson names his top 50 AFL players after the 2024 season
Marcus Bontempelli would be Mark Robinson’s first picked if he was building a team from scratch. But the Bont comes in at No. 4 in his Top 50 of 2024. See who surpassed him and have your say.
Not one person would take Houston over Dawson..... and that's not even the worst omission. I love how the readers' 50 could only be picked from Robbo's 50...

talking about Port Power, I reckon its quite likely Butters gets traded end of next year unless they are INCREDIBLY close to a flag next year (which I dont believe they will be end of 2025).

Why? Now Butters is a genuine 2 first round worth type player - including one being a top 5 (perhaps 10) draft pick. MUCH better compo than Power likely to receive if/when (as highly rumoured) he leaves as a RFA on massive coin end of 2026

Because usually it's rubbish. As in 'I'm homesick' is cover for 'another club has offered me a fat contract upgrade'.

If multiple clubs have offered Houston similar contracts, he might legitimately not care.

Because usually it's rubbish. As in 'I'm homesick' is cover for 'another club has offered me a fat contract upgrade'.

If multiple clubs have offered Houston similar contracts, he might legitimately not care.
agree 100% with first statement.

If Kangas are offering say 100k more per year (before tax) but you are likely to finish bottom 4 and play in front of average crowds a fraction of Pies and Blues who are also contending over the next couple of years I know who I would choose. most players DO end up caring and reckon Houston will very likely choose Pies (or Blues) despite it not being best for Port Power

talking about Port Power, I reckon its quite likely Butters gets traded end of next year unless they are INCREDIBLY close to a flag next year (which I dont believe they will be end of 2025).

Why? Now Butters is a genuine 2 first round worth type player - including one being a top 5 (perhaps 10) draft pick. MUCH better compo than Power likely to receive if/when (as highly rumoured) he leaves as a RFA on massive coin end of 2026
The problem for them is. Would a club give that up when they can wait one more year and get him for free?

To me it was this year or as a free agent.

Maybe they would take one pick in the top 5 if they thought that would be much better than the compensation they would get a year later.....

agree 100% with first statement.

If Kangas are offering say 100k more per year (before tax) but you are likely to finish bottom 4 and play in front of average crowds a fraction of Pies and Blues who are also contending over the next couple of years I know who I would choose. most players DO end up caring and reckon Houston will very likely choose Pies (or Blues) despite it not being best for Port Power
If it's say $100k per year extra the Pies and Blues would chew that up with off field bonuses. unfortunately, teams like the Roos have to offer massive overs when competing for players.
Money will always be the key factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there would be some reference. That's why you visit club rooms and see what they can offer.

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

my understanding is Houston on a modest contract - perhaps 3/4 years left @ 650k and this is likely to be upgraded with a new club to a new 5/6 years at 850k+ (same as Crows extended ANB from 2->4 years)
Yeah this is his main reason, Power signed him up on a low value deal, the refused to renegotiate.

Staying would cost him a lot of money, that's why he's desperate to leave.

With the Houston trade can anyone tell me why it appears to be going to the highest bidder?

Usually Houston picks a club and port would have to find a suitable trade.
However this time Houston going anywhere Port pleases?

Doesn't seem right and not the usual AFL way.

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk
Being stage managed to make it look like Port get what they want.

Houston agreeing to not make his club choice public to be part of the charade.

No doubt Port are only negotiating with the club Houston has told them he wants to go to.

Port are a slick PR machine, or at least think they are.

Nick Watson and Jack Ginnivan pulled out of a kids holiday coaching clinic the night after the BnF because they were "sick"

They'd be put in the electric chair at the AFC
The person that made this booking should have to attend instead

I read somewhere that the clinic cost $65 a head - I can't remember how many kids were lined up to go

Also read that there were families traveling in excess of an hour to get there

My guess is the clinic was organised and booked long before anyone knew it'd be the morning after the B&F

I read somewhere that the clinic cost $65 a head - I can't remember how many kids were lined up to go

Also read that there were families traveling in excess of an hour to get there

My guess is the clinic was organised and booked long before anyone knew it'd be the morning after the B&F
Surely someone in the club is responsible for checking club engagements before making club engagements

That was my first thought, but there's no excuse for them to miss it.

Sure, go out and have a few drinks or whatever but you knew you had something on so don't go stupid.

I do recall Mods rocking up 2nd hand to a couple of junior clinics of mine back in the day.... but he still showed up

Being stage managed to make it look like Port get what they want.

Houston agreeing to not make his club choice public to be part of the charade.

No doubt Port are only negotiating with the club Houston has told them he wants to go to.

Port are a slick PR machine, or at least think they are.
Thanks, this is the only thing that makes sense with this whole situation.

Otherwise I can't recall a player stating they are happy to go to any Vic club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back