Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no expert, but I am sure in the NBA they have all sorts of things built into contracts, and something which could easily be done here is to build in a trade-on clause.

If you're a superstar, you could build in a no trade-on clause. Or a team could offer you more, but without the clause. So you have the choice. Take the 8 year deal at $1m a year with the trade on clause, or only take 4 years @ $900k with no trade on. Which would they choose?

It becomes another bargaining tool, because at the moment contracts just seem to be pay & length. Could even be structured, for example you have a player on an 8-year deal, but first 4 years is protected so can't be traded on, but final years can be traded on.

There was also talk of capping contract length. I don't mind that.
We should try adding in 1 year option with a trade for a second rounder clause.

I think they will regret that. He might play some good games during the course of the year but if they play finals the extra pace and pressure could find him out again.
I don't think he'll last the season. Though if anyone's deserved a mid season retirement and subsequent farewell game at AO it's probably him. Showdown, Round 24, Boak and Tex's final games. Book it, AFL.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back