Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Davies saying that Port decided to take the “long view” with Houston and get draft picks to help them build for the future.

But they had a double AA player contracted for years. One of the best in the league. And I thought they were keeping Ken because they feel they’re close to a flag next year. Which is the short term, not long term.

How they gonna do that if they give away one of their best players for draft picks?

Sorry Chris but Rat ain’t the answer…

Rat can play very useful football in terms of forward movement and 2nd/3rd disposal out of congestion. His glaring weakness was just watching opposition run past him with ball in hand. It’s going to be interesting watching whether he plays or is just depth.

Agreed, and I get the feeling they didn’t so much take him as were forced to take him so GC could off load his salary from the ridiculous five year deal they gave him

How bad are the Suns still going with their cap where a constant top 4 finishing list is able to absorb their salary dumps? I thought they’d sorted their crap out. With Port, I don’t think the trading of Houston is as bad as our folk are making out, it’s more hope. Where they stuffed up badly was paying full price for Lukoscious.

Last edited:
They played their cards way too early with Houston... which meant they lost most of their leverage even if under contract.

Having missed on Perryman they could have reversed course. Houston wouldn’t sit out and would again be playing out a year where he’s wanting to impress suitors. And then call Suns’ bluff and pull the Lukoscious interest.

So who gets GWS next year in round 1 & 2 - will show the AFL's bias I reckon.

I'm betting 100% one of the games goes to Damien Hardwick's Gold Coast.
Port are always one of the options when getting "kissed" is a possibility.

The suspended players are only fringe players, including one who is already delisted, so I don't think it really matters.

Very predictable for the league to make an example of those types while giving stars a slap on the wrist.

Yeh fair point.
Although is it an official function, or just work colleagues getting together after work?
Would be an interesting test case.

Either way, it sounds like what was done was in very poor taste. Not sure it deserves the level of sanctions, but still pretty stupid and poor.

It wouldn’t be that interesting, I doubt the club had anything to do with it. I expect the players organised and paid the venue and got there and back without club cabcharge vouchers. There would be nothing supporting these mad Mondays as being work events.

I think they will regret that. He might play some good games during the course of the year but if they play finals the extra pace and pressure could find him out again.

Obviously like Sloane, Tex and Smith, his leadership around the place is invaluable. Without him on the list, no midfielders will develop at all.

I remember reading on here for the first time that Cosi was not such a great guy.
Well this post hasn't had many positive comments.
What a tool.

How many weeks would the AFL give him?

Personally I think Boak along with Tex are rare exceptions that should be afforded the ability to call time on their careers when it feels right to them.

I think Boak has given that club a lot over the years and deserves to be given that respect.

Nah, no player is more important than the rest of the list, no matter who they are or what they’ve done. Tex and Boak both borderline in terms of 2024 performances, if that reduces them regardless of their personal views, they should be done. If 2025 performances warrant further extension, then they can go again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? None of the suspended players are in their best 22. These suspensions make no difference whatsoever to their chances of winning in R1-2.

The suspended players are only fringe players, including one who is already delisted, so I don't think it really matters.

Very predictable for the league to make an example of those types while giving stars a slap on the wrist.

Clubs, even AFL bankrolled versions, push back if it’s a star. Except us that is, we love punishing anyone and everyone.

Having missed on Perryman they could have reversed course. Houston wouldn’t sit out and would again be playing out a year where he’s wanting to impress suitors. And then call Suns’ bluff and pull the Lukoscious interest.
Yeah, i would have kept Houston & offered up F2 for Lukosius & Atkins salary dump.

Why? None of the suspended players are in their best 22. These suspensions make no difference whatsoever to their chances of winning in R1-2.
Two of the suspended players had already been delisted as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back