Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

what i learnt today that as bad as the Hawthorn thrashing was that wasn't a flash in the pan performance by Hawthorn after beating the Saints.No way are they tanking and it is now between North and us.I think North have more potential for a upset and can't see us winning too many games unless we have a full,fit squad.That seems very unlikely.

What has impressed me about GC is that they have played some good footy and won some games since Miller went out.

When he got injured I thought they would be completely screwed.
If they could just fix up the connection between their mids and their forwards they would be top 4. Doing a lot very right

The purples to go into full flagmantle mode hopefully.
Love it when their collective hopes get up only to be smashed back down again.
Still not sure what to make of them. They play Richmond next coming off an emotional high of their greatest ever coach leaving, they will be emotionally down the game after for sure (as is typically the case). Reckon luck plays a huge part in ones season, they are having one hell of a lucky run this past month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH the whole competition is a bit s**t really.

we're just the s**t of the s**t.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Laughable to refer to it as elite. Just what we need is another team in a bloated domestic comp.
The commentary is garbage as well which doesnt help with the appreciation/presentation. Fox under the new arrangement will provide their own commentary for all their games rather than use 7's for some. Thi will dilute the gene pool and quality further.

Can't stand that line of thinking, staging is just sh!te.

Weightman has been quizzed about his diving in the past, stating his belief it was a skill, rather than a blight on the game.
“I think I do have an ability to draw free kicks and I think that’s a skillset rather than a ‘flop’ or whatever you call that,” Weightman said on SEN Breakfast in April last year.

If umpires are going to get sucked in by it then players are going to exaggerate contact (dive)

Either the umpires need to tighten up and/or the MRO needs to start handing out more fines when it occurs

Right now, there’s no disincentive for it. In fact it’s the opposite

Umpires did their best to let WB win though
Has there ever been a side that embraces cheating like the Bulldogs have since 2016?

Yep we had our own falling at the knees issues but their throwing, scragging and ducking/flopping for no reason are at disgrace levels.

TBH the whole competition is a bit s**t really.

we're just the s**t of the s**t.

Agreed.

Standard of play seems to be at a new low across the competition this year.

The administration seems so hell-bent on forcing "free-flowing, attacking play" without any thought given to what may be necessary to support that.
  • change rules that encourage more running and associated fatigue, yet do not increase the soft cap or interchange cap.
  • instruct umpires to "keep the ball moving", when all it does is further muddy holding the ball interpretations and create more congestion as the prolonging to blow the whistle for stoppage allows for more numbers to crowd around it.
  • so much time is being spent by clubs focussing on adapting tactics to constant rule changes and interpretations at the expense of fundamental skills. Set-shot kicking on goal this year for example has been terrible.

The league is being run by Underpants Gnomes that have no idea of getting the competition into the shape that they desire.

Meanwhile in reality, the level of play is becoming:
  • less skilful.
  • more congested.
  • continues to become more defensive and low-scoring (increase in average score is an artifact of very poor teams being blown away, as soon as matches involving those teams are removed, average score is on the decline).
Tactically, things appear to be devolving towards AusKick standards, with rules currently favouring those who just create outnumbers around stoppage and then get possession forward regardless of means or effectiveness.

And now Tasmania will be coming in to water the talent pool down further.

Here are four simple things that will improve the standard of the competition:
  • discard the soft cap, or at the very least restore it (indexed to inflation) to pre-Covid levels.
  • get umpires to stop waiting around and dragging things out before blowing the whistle - if the ball stops moving it's either a stoppage or holding the ball, no need to complicate things unnecessarily.
  • similarly, get rid of the silly ruck nomination stuff. All it does is create additional delay which adds to stoppage congestion, which is apparently everyone wants to avoid.
  • get HQ to issue a statement that rules will not be changed for at least the next five seasons, in recognition that the competition is still adapting to the radical changes that have been previously made.
I won't get my hopes up waiting around to see any of those occur however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back