Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The old saying sticks and stones such such is basically in reverse these days. Especially when it comes to punishment and resolving the matter.

Sorry the worlds changed and you can't go around being a bigot anymore :rainbow:

Brisbane a red hot chance tonight. Especially with Pickett out, they have (potentially) a lot more up front than the Demons.

Generally speaking I think there's a lot of money to be made this round. It's crazy to me that both Freo and ourselves are paying around $3.20 in our matches. Real chances.

Brisbane a red hot chance tonight. Especially with Pickett out, they have (potentially) a lot more up front than the Demons.

Generally speaking I think there's a lot of money to be made this round. It's crazy to me that both Freo and ourselves are paying around $3.20 in our matches. Real chances.

Would be impressive if Freo got up. Darcy back and not fully fit, it could be their kryptonite. Port in red hot form. I think it will boil down to the internal messaging this week. If Longmuir has managed to galvanise the group after they cooked it last week, they could go to another level.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose between 5-10 goals the way Port are firing.

I also fear many Eagles pundits and media personalities have got ahead of themselves after last week's game against Swans. Progress isn't linear and we could quite likely dish up some absolute trash this weekend.

The word has a spiteful connotation towards gay people and is a slur. But there was a period when I was growing up where its main usage among teenage men was just as a general derogatory term without the actual intended connection to homosexuality. Similar to how "that's gay" was used just to mean "that sucks". It was commonly used in instances where I am confident there was no intended genuine link to homosexuality. (Side note: To be fair to Clarkson, this is the same as the word he used. For further context, think of another C word, its literal derogatory meaning and its actual usage in Australia).
I grew up around the same time and used the same words, and they were 100% about homosexuality. It's great if you didn't see them that way, but most did.

The old saying sticks and stones such such is basically in reverse these days. Especially when it comes to punishment and resolving the matter.

Just remember the afl are more concerned about someone calling someone a nawty name than a player who obtains and uses illegal drugs . Process that.

Here is one way to think about it- if you sucked a k0ck would that be a homosexual act?
If so, then using it as a term of insult to another bloke is denigrating homosexuals = homophobic.

Clarkson later came out and admitted he knew it was homophobic and he had done the wrong thing. As others have mentioned though, it is a term that has historically just been a general insult without much thought about its actual meaning (when used towards a man). Applying a bit of nuance, I think the term Finlayson used is "more" homophobic as it is used expressly to insinuate someone is homosexual rather than just a general term of insult.

And thats where it all goes haywire and it opens pandoras box.

When people ( AFL - yes I am talking about you muppets ) make judgments about the the severity of the punishment being linked to how they judge the hurtfulness of the word.

It's either homophobic or its not.

I am being mishievous here now, but are they seriously saying they are setting up a grading system for slurs, because thats what a "more" homophobic terminology concept leads to.

Bottom line the AFL *ed up badly by not suspending Clarkson, had they done so, the Finlayson issue would and could have, been handled with more clarity and in a more timely manner.

Its typical AFL policy and procedures on the run and covering their arses after the horse has bolted.

The AFL love spruiking themselves as the Leaders and standard bearers as Australia's Sporting Moral Compass, when more often than not, they are being reactionary and doing things to ensure that their Federal Funding is kept in tact.

For the record I am not against the Finlayson ban, rather I am pissed at their inconsistency not only in this matter, but in a host of others.

Yeah given Clarkson's off field track record, he got off lightly regardless of the provocation excuse. I wonder if his target being Jimmy Webster helped his cause. I would've at least liked to see the suspended sentence applicable indefinitely ie for the rest of Clarkson's coaching career.

With Finlayson I have to wonder if his rightfully unnamed target was part of the LGBTQI community and therefore it was true vilification. It's none of our business but it would explain the heavier sentence and also the reaction from his teammates (Langford publicly, and others privately allegedly). Finlayson's record and remorse is probably all that saved him from closer to 6 weeks.

I also fear many Eagles pundits and media personalities have got ahead of themselves after last week's game against Swans. Progress isn't linear and we could quite likely dish up some absolute trash this weekend.
Yeah this is honestly what im thinking, and am expecting a 40+pt loss. "Consistency" is not a byword of this playing group.

Thats what i think will happen.

Will be stoked to be proven wrong.

When people ( AFL - yes I am talking about you muppets ) make judgments about the the severity of the punishment being linked to how they judge the hurtfulness of the word.

I am being mishievous here now, but are they seriously saying they are setting up a grading system for slurs, because thats what a "more" homophobic terminology concept leads to.

Bottom line the AFL *ed up badly by not suspending Clarkson, had they done so, the Finlayson issue would and could have, been handled with more clarity and in a more timely manner.

Its typical AFL policy and procedures on the run and covering their arses after the horse has bolted.

The AFL love spruiking themselves as the Leaders and standard bearers as Australia's Sporting Moral Compass, when more often than not, they are being reactionary and doing things to ensure that their Federal Funding is kept in tact.

For the record I am not against the Finlayson ban, rather I am pissed at their inconsistency not only in this matter, but in a host of others.
I fail to see how accusing someone of performing a gay act is better than calling them gay. Typical VAFL horsesh*t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be impressive if Freo got up. Darcy back and not fully fit, it could be their kryptonite. Port in red hot form. I think it will boil down to the internal messaging this week. If Longmuir has managed to galvanise the group after they cooked it last week, they could go to another level.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose between 5-10 goals the way Port are firing.

Swans had a bad half as well. All encouraging but as you say, non-linear and multi factorial.
On a + we were a man down and came close.

Last edited:

Oh I agree, and to be fair Im not sure the AFL are saying one is worse than the other despite the different bans. Different circumstances and the second offence is usually punished harder but I am not aware of them declaring the different bans are due to the different terminologies used.
Its just that many are struggling to come to terms that c*&^sucker is homophobic and that is probably because it traditionally hasnt been used or thought of in that light.

Yeah this is honestly what im thinking, and am expecting a 40+pt loss. "Consistency" is not a byword of this playing group.

morgan-freeman-hope.gif

If we were ever going to beat Richmond now is the time with the outs they have. Players have an 8 day break between games vs 7 however coming off back to back away games, mind you this will be richmonds second away game in a row which is nigh on unheard of for them.
I'm sure the AFL lined 10 MCG games up for them in a row as compensation...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back