Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

6-vUt0.gif

Someone had to bring it up didn't they...

As club captain surely he doesn't walk though? To St Kilda of all places too, talk about a sideways move

I mean it would be hilarious if he did

But I don't see it happening

2024 average age per team in home and away season
Collingwood – 27.5
Geelong – 27.1
Brisbane – 26.3
Western Bulldogs – 26.2
Carlton – 26.1
Sydney – 26
Melbourne – 25.9
Essendon – 25.9
Richmond – 25.8
Port Adelaide – 25.7
St Kilda – 25.6
West Coast – 25.4
Greater Western Sydney – 25.2
Hawthorn – 25
Fremantle – 25
Adelaide – 24.8
Gold Coast – 24.7
North Melbourne – 24.3

2024 average games player per team in home and away season

Geelong – 128
Collingwood – 128
Brisbane – 123
Sydney – 118
Melbourne – 113
Essendon – 110
Western Bulldogs – 109
St Kilda – 100
Port Adelaide – 100
West Coast – 96
Richmond – 95
Greater Western Sydney – 94
Carlton – 91
Hawthorn – 90
Fremantle – 87
Gold Coast – 85
Adelaide – 80
North Melbourne – 75

First time I've had the chance to post some thoughts on the two matches from the past weekend.

Port vs Hawthorn:

A week earlier I called out K.Hinkley for a complete shambles of a coaching performance against Geelong, allowing extras to get behind his defence over and over again, amounting to what looked like a training drill for the Cats.

Credit where it is due however, he did his homework on the Hawks and despite having a side that was beaten up and undermanned, was able to put in place a system that stopped Hawthorn's gameplan in its tracks.
There were three key facets:
  • pressure onball to affect or delay the outlet possession trying to find the width Hawthorn craves
  • preventing loose runners coming from behind the mark for the overlapping handball receive
  • maintaining direct matchups on Hawthorn's small forwards when they roam much further up the ground
Coming into this match Hawthorn averaged more than 50 points per game from turnover. A week earlier against the Bulldogs, 73 of their total of 99 points came from turnover.

Strangled of width against Port, Hawthorn only managed 14 points from turnover. That's the result right there.

No doubt a number of clubs around the competition will be rewatching and taking notes.

GWS vs Brisbane:

This was the first match I've attended at the Sydney Showground - the first thing you notice is that the ends of the ground are different - the pockets at the open end of the ground are much wider than the opposite end which is narrow. Otherwise it's a decent boutique stadium. It's a shame GWS have no fans as it generates a good atmosphere when it gets mostly full like it did here. Looked like about a quarter of the crowd were cheering for Brisbane.

GWS are reckless. They have the nickname of the orange tsunami, but the crazy ants would be just as befitting. They just run, everywhere, all the time, often without any purpose as to why. It looks amazing, but it's completely unsustainable.

In their previous two matches, against the Bulldogs in Ballarat and Sydney in the Qualifying Final, the Giants were outscored by 5 goals to 1 and 6 goals to 2 respectively.

7 goals up, this game was done. Lions fans were leaving the ground early. Then GWS stopped running and everything changed.

Where was Plan B from A.Kingsley? Why was no spare thrown behind the ball to prevent Brisbane having one-on-one contests in attack? Even after J.Hogan rallied and halted some of the Lion's momentum, GWS did nothing to alter their approach, cool the game down and kill it through possession play. It was just more of the same, trying to run everything, everywhere and all at once, except with heavy legs that couldn't run anymore.

Of course Brisbane regained momentum again. They ran over the top of GWS, and yet the Giants still refused to send a spare into their defence. That cost them the game.

For all of J.Daniher's faults as a key forward, he kicked two huge goals under immense pressure to give Brisbane the most unlikely of victories. Being clutch in big games, that's all you can ask for in a key forward.

The Lions kicked 11 of the last 14 goals of the match. It staggers me that GWS just kept doing the same thing as their season fell into a tailspin across 15 minutes.

I am left with the feeling that in another set of hands (that could better manage when to go and when to conserve), this GWS team could be something truly exceptional. Yet, they are now out in straight sets because burn-out hits at three-quarter time.

As for Brisbane, Geelong couldn't be happier. Double travel for a Preliminary Final, whilst E.Hipwood and C.Rayner both become more invisible the bigger the stage gets.

I don't see either of this weeks' victors progressing any further.

First time I've had the chance to post some thoughts on the two matches from the past weekend.

Port vs Hawthorn:

A week earlier I called out K.Hinkley for a complete shambles of a coaching performance against Geelong, allowing extras to get behind his defence over and over again, amounting to what looked like a training drill for the Cats.

Credit where it is due however, he did his homework on the Hawks and despite having a side that was beaten up and undermanned, was able to put in place a system that stopped Hawthorn's gameplan in its tracks.
There were three key facets:
  • pressure onball to affect or delay the outlet possession trying to find the width Hawthorn craves
  • preventing loose runners coming from behind the mark for the overlapping handball receive
  • maintaining direct matchups on Hawthorn's small forwards when they roam much further up the ground
Coming into this match Hawthorn averaged more than 50 points per game from turnover. A week earlier against the Bulldogs, 73 of their total of 99 points came from turnover.

Strangled of width against Port, Hawthorn only managed 14 points from turnover. That's the result right there.

No doubt a number of clubs around the competition will be rewatching and taking notes.

GWS vs Brisbane:

This was the first match I've attended at the Sydney Showground - the first thing you notice is that the ends of the ground are different - the pockets at the open end of the ground are much wider than the opposite end which is narrow. Otherwise it's a decent boutique stadium. It's a shame GWS have no fans as it generates a good atmosphere when it gets mostly full like it did here. Looked like about a quarter of the crowd were cheering for Brisbane.

GWS are reckless. They have the nickname of the orange tsunami, but the crazy ants would be just as befitting. They just run, everywhere, all the time, often without any purpose as to why. It looks amazing, but it's completely unsustainable.

In their previous two matches, against the Bulldogs in Ballarat and Sydney in the Qualifying Final, the Giants were outscored by 5 goals to 1 and 6 goals to 2 respectively.

7 goals up, this game was done. Lions fans were leaving the ground early. Then GWS stopped running and everything changed.

Where was Plan B from A.Kingsley? Why was no spare thrown behind the ball to prevent Brisbane having one-on-one contests in attack? Even after J.Hogan rallied and halted some of the Lion's momentum, GWS did nothing to alter their approach, cool the game down and kill it through possession play. It was just more of the same, trying to run everything, everywhere and all at once, except with heavy legs that couldn't run anymore.

Of course Brisbane regained momentum again. They ran over the top of GWS, and yet the Giants still refused to send a spare into their defence. That cost them the game.

For all of J.Daniher's faults as a key forward, he kicked two huge goals under immense pressure to give Brisbane the most unlikely of victories. Being clutch in big games, that's all you can ask for in a key forward.

The Lions kicked 11 of the last 14 goals of the match. It staggers me that GWS just kept doing the same thing as their season fell into a tailspin across 15 minutes.

I am left with the feeling that in another set of hands (that could better manage when to go and when to conserve), this GWS team could be something truly exceptional. Yet, they are now out in straight sets because burn-out hits at three-quarter time.

As for Brisbane, Geelong couldn't be happier. Double travel for a Preliminary Final, whilst E.Hipwood and C.Rayner both become more invisible the bigger the stage gets.

I don't see either of this weeks' victors progressing any further.
Would love to see Bris v Port in the grand final just to find out who can spud it up less: Dixon or Hipwood

Grand Final preferences

1) Brisbane v Sydney - slight preference for Brisbane to win but wouldn’t be upset if Sydney got up

2) Brisbane v Port - at least there’s no Victorian team in it

3) Sydney v Geelong - Swans to redeem themselves after 2022 cos **** Geelong

4) Port v Geelong - spew.

Grand Final preferences

1) Brisbane v Sydney - slight preference for Brisbane to win but wouldn’t be upset if Sydney got up

2) Brisbane v Port - at least there’s no Victorian team in it

3) Sydney v Geelong - Swans to redeem themselves after 2022 cos **** Geelong

4) Port v Geelong - spew.

Same as me.

Premiers preference would be:

Brisbane
Sydney
Port/Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Channel 7 is wheeling Bruce McAvaney out for the prelims and GF this year

He's basically a corpse these days. They should market it as Weekend at Bruce's.

If the alternative is most of 7's current rubbish lineup, I'll take Bruce.
Never warmed to Bruce. But with all things in this timeline, the commentary team has only gotten worse.

And I can remember listening to Don Scott calling games as a kid.

He's basically a corpse these days. They should market it as Weekend at Bruce's.
And yet still better than any of the current commentators - would prefer they were bringing back Dennis though

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back