List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very good prospects are going to be taken in the 30s and 40s, need to be loading up this draft IMO.

I am huge fan of Zac Johnson youngest player in this draft he will go in the 40's
Will Hayes claremont boy small forward type that can go to wing is quick elusive and one of the very
best kicks in the draft he is 50 to rookie range

Not happy with Trew going. Actually has the right attributes and toughness. Not enough opportunity.

Only reason I see to delist is because we will try to trade out Rotham for a pathetic type draft pick and perhaps redrafting Trew.
Delist Trew so we can perhaps redraft Trew... right after we trade Darling for Darling?

I'm just glad it's all starting to happen, changes, players and coaches. Long way to go but
here we go...another transformation closer to being a consistent and improved team.

Regarding Trew, yes he showed something, preferred him over Culley...we've probably got a couple more mids coming in..

Last edited:
I actually think delisting Jordyn Baker is a pretty poor decision. He's been just as consistent as Dewar in the WAFL mess over the last few seasons, and we've seen how well Tyrell has done coming into the seniors.

We are also nearly completely bereft of players who can offer real drive from the backline. I'd have delisted the likes of Witherden and Rotham (who never grew into that role) before Baker, who has some dash about him.

Maybe I'm overreacting because I'm irked by the fact he was never given a single chance at senior level.

Ultimately it goes down as an 'easy' delisting on paper. Reckon he goes on to have a good state career.
Big agree. The fact we have chosen to delist Baker ahead of guys like Rotham and witherden is genuinely brain dead. Will be disappointed if we end up keeping any of those.

He was just as good as Dewar this year and last in the WAFL. Another player we should have given a stint of games to before de delisted.

This Darling stuff has really escalated.

Weird way to end a weird career with the club. 300 games and 500 goals but routinely criticised and derided by fans and the media. One of his most significant games include not getting near it for a half and a dropped marked that would have sealed the flag.
I'm saddened. Him leaving. I really am

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly Cooper Stephen’s who Geelong took with one of our Tim Kelly draft picks and who was then traded to hawthorn has been delisted after playing 7 games for Geelong and none for the hawks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wouldn’t put it past Suma to use this for an actual article
That particular account has fooled plenty of people multiple times. I'm surprised it's still allowed to operate. Then again, it is Twitter.

That particular account has fooled plenty of people multiple times. I'm surprised it's still allowed to operate. Then again, it is Twitter.
It would never fool me, because I don’t believe anything the real Tom Browne account posts either

Looking at Cal's list
Do not want
Langford
Murphy
Smillie
Just don't think there good fits for our midfield except for Murphy the mummy's boy

Would love at pick 3
Draper
FOS
Lalor this kid never done a preseason get him fit the upside is huge
Then
Jagga Smith and TT
What's the story on lalor never doing a pre season he from the sticks or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back