Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks are very good at swapping who mans the mark, and gaining 2-3m each time without getting called back.

These are the kind of loopholes that Hawthorn and Richmond both exploited for their eras of success. The stand rule seemed specifically due to Richmond sagging off the mark and then slyly creeping forward to reduce the kicker's space.

Both teams basically dared umpires to call them on their shit, knowing that umpires are incapable of being consistent. Good teams will exploit the shit out of the rulebook and it's worth a couple of wins per season.

Hawks will snag another flag during Mitchell's watch, I have no doubt about that.

One hilarious thing about today was seeing opposition supporters watching the Eagles game hoping West Coast would do their team and solid and actually realising how hopeless our team and players are in real time and being like...WELCOME TO OUR WORLD :tearsofjoy:

I dont recall a season where teams could get out to a 5 or 6 goal lead but then momentum swings completely the opposite.way and that lead evaporates the next quarter.

Happens almost every game now.
One thing I don't really hear mentioned is the tactics of momentum/timing your efforts. Knowing when to sit back, to push etc, a bit like in boxing or any combat sport. Inspired by the Pies I suspect Sydney experimented with that and it backfired. That and the 6/6/6 stand rule, the relatively more free flowing nature of the game vs the dour 00s and 10s even, the evenness of the comps, and that's what you get.

One hilarious thing about today was seeing opposition supporters watching the Eagles game hoping West Coast would do their team and solid and actually realising how hopeless our team and players are in real time and being like...WELCOME TO OUR WORLD :tearsofjoy:
I fully admit I got sucked into the false hope...partly why I was so disappointed. But with our record I shouldve known better. I wasn't overly confident, but I expected us to be slight faves and a decent chance...and given Carltons recent form it was understandable. But this one burns because I thought we were a good chance, and losing by that much in that way to a depleted Carlton side at home in a year when we were supposed to have shown some improvement sort of negates our wins, which have papered a little over the cracks. I don't know if we've gone in favourites for the last 3 years besides North at home, maybe the pressure of expectation didn't help.

We may not have had a 100+ belting, but we had plenty of 60+ ones. We won 2 close ones by being clutch, but could easily have lost them. We wouldve been 3 wins and no wins away. Our injuries were better, but our % is only about 10 points better than last season. Hate to sound negative but we really haven't improved, maybe slightly. We havent developed any major young stars this season besides Reid. Let's see what changes next season brings.

One thing I don't really hear mentioned is the tactics of momentum/timing your efforts. Knowing when to sit back, to push etc, a bit like in boxing or any combat sport. Inspired by the Pies I suspect Sydney experimented with that and it backfired. That and the 6/6/6 stand rule, the relatively more free flowing nature of the game vs the dour 00s and 10s even, the evenness of the comps, and that's what you get.
Generally, we have players who persist with the dumbest footy -coaching, leadership, dumb drafting or all of the above.

TB to Haw
Trac to WCE
Haw 1st Rd to Melb

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
happy mr. mackey GIF by South Park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey of Trac is desperate to leave, Haw are desperate for TB then why not

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The whole point of letting Barrass leave is to get in a decent draft pick to get another long term player for our rebuild. Getting Petracca in for Barrass would be dumb list building.

That's before we even look at the relative value of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back