List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Phil is offering an all expenses paid post-season trip to Whore Island to possible recruits.

If they accept then we don't want that kind of feral player at our club.

If they refuse then we don't want that kind of WEAK player at our club.

I'm not exactly sure how it works honestly.
1726051695952.png

Relating to the draft, two big names to keep an eye on in the 2nd round are Moraes and Gross.

Theses two by no means have had bad years, yet limited chances to showcase their ability in big games could likely see them fall into the 2nd round.

Both Gross and Moraes are natural mids who have developed more forward craft this year.

Gross particularly reminds me a bit of Wardlaw with his style of play.

Fine to attach a f2 for the two firsts, probably only going to be a few spots but reckon there’s a decent chance Hawks drop next year.

Literally have had a dream injury run barring Day in preseason and Mitch Lewis and fixture was easier than the one they’ll get next year.

We see this all the time with overachieving by young teams dropping off the next season, worth the risk that the hawks fall outside the 8 in my opinion.

the Whore Island Paradox™
The place is full of Paradoxes
YARN | I've got a mangina. | The Mighty Boosh (2004) - S02E05 Old Gregg |  Video gifs by quotes | 6b0021f3 | 紗

As background, here is the 2023 All Australian Team for the Under 16's

I have colour coded those players that are in a Northern Academy and also coloured the 2 Tassie prospects that may or may not be Tassie bound or at least it is a buyer beware given the expansion team
View attachment 2107651

Note a few things

1. This is not the top 20 but a carnival based team
2. There will be obvious changes as the boys start to become men
3. The view of the Futures Game this year will tell us plenty
4. There are 11 Northern Academy prospects and 2 Tassie prospects out of the 22
5. We will find out the rules for the new points and bidding system soon - it has to be before trade period starts

So when thinking about trading a future R1, bear these high end prospects that will likely see one of the most compromised drafts we have ever seen.

The good news is that there is a strong WA crop including 3 West Coast prospects - Charlie Banfield (FS) and 2 NGA prospects Wes Walley and Koby Evans.

In terms of WA talent, Cody Curtin is a Claremont prospect (younger brother of Dan) and is showing he can play KPP at both ends and he is a genuine KPP not like Dan who is more like an oversized flanker. See how he goes in the next 12 months and based on recent form, he could well be a R1 prospect. Fred Rodriguez is another possible R1 prospect - a Souf Freo prospects who is a genuine midfielder.

I have also included the draft profiles of the AA team that was published last year - word document attached
Taj Murray is an NT kid, not a Tassie kid.

West Coast are wary their search for a new coach will play a part in trade negotiations, including talks with homeward bound West Australian star Liam Baker. No to Baker cost to much unless its a 4th round

I hope we give Harley $2m.

He's the best thing in the AFL worth watching let alone at WCE where he is daylight ahead.

He's worth it.

Plus it's not my money so who cares.

The Saviour

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have little issue with us paying Harley a lot for his fourth year, on the proviso that it is part of a front ended contract (preferably long).
We shouldn't be bandying around $2M offers for a single additional year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun wrap up of existing info, previously covered on Fox Footy.

West Coast is set to ask Hawthorn for two first-round draft picks in exchange for gun key defender Tom Barrass when trade talks open.

Barrass, 28, remains contracted to the Eagles until the end of 2029, giving West Coast the upper hand in negotiations for the star backman.

But the demand will be seen as a huge price tag for a man who will turn 29 before the start of next season.

Hawthorn would likely baulk at the Eagles’ demands and would certainly ask for a second-round pick back from West Coast to even consider parting with two first rounders.

Ideally, West Coast would want a pick inside the top-10 for Barrass as one of the best key defenders in the game.

But Hawthorn’s surge up the ladder means the Hawks’ first pick in this year’s draft is currently slated at No. 13 which would slide back even further after compensation, academy and father-son picks in the draft.

The Eagles won’t be satisfied with a late teens selection only for Barrass and will instead ask Hawthorn to double up with its future first-round pick as well.

Hawthorn is on the up clearly and would attempt to challenge for a top-four berth next year after claiming Barrass and St Kilda free agent Josh Battle.

It means Hawthorn’s first round pick next year is also likely to be a late pick in the teens.

Hawthorn’s request for a second-round pick back in the deal would be a handy return as it would mean the Hawks’ first pick would effectively only slide back into the early 20s.

The Hawks may attempt to offer West Coast a lesser deal based on Barrass’s age.

Sam Mitchell’s men have offered him a contract worth about $800,000 a season to move from Perth to Melbourne.

Mitchell played with Barrass at West Coast in 2017.

West Coast would clear over $800,000 of cap space next year if Jack Darling becomes a North Melbourne player, with the Roos leading the charge for the premiership player.

Darling has two-year offers in Victoria with the Roos the hot favourites, even though his best football would seem well behind him.

But if the Eagles did want a quality pick in return for Darling they would likely have to pay some of his salary next year.

The Roos are keen on Darling given they believe he can add to their forward line as an elite-running forward who will get up the ground and help Nick Larkey and Cam Zurhaar.

He kicked 22 goals in 21 games and by his own standards had a poor year but at 32 believes he has multiple seasons left.

He would move his family with three children to Melbourne but would get a two-year deal from the Roos, who want experienced premiership players to help build out their list.

For the Roos to absorb his 2025 salary they would likely offer the Eagles a later draft pick.

The Eagles might need that cap space if Jack Graham and Liam Baker arrive, with the Eagles one of many clubs interested in GWS pair James Peatling and Harry Perryman.

But if they are only interested in enhancing their 2024 draft hand they might be asked to pay some of his 2025 salary.

Relating to the draft, two big names to keep an eye on in the 2nd round are Moraes and Gross.

Theses two by no means have had bad years, yet limited chances to showcase their ability in big games could likely see them fall into the 2nd round.

Both Gross and Moraes are natural mids who have developed more forward craft this year.

Gross particularly reminds me a bit of Wardlaw with his style of play.
I rate Gross big time as well and would love to see him taken with any of our picks in the 20's. I'll be filthy if we get Baker with our 2R and Gross ends up still on the board at that pick.

I'd even look at taking him with the Hawks pick considering it's going to be late teens.

Ralphy at it again, it seems. Unable to break the paywall on this one, but there's no way anyone is paying a fourth year player 2 million a year. Now if you were to tell me that was his post free agency money and had a Brownlow and multiple All-Australians to his name then sure.

What deal did Mac Andrew just sign / agree to?

What is Harley worth in year 4? 2027?

Baker choosing Freo will be another example of this club being saved from itself. Which, sadly, has resulted in some of the best off field outcomes for us over the past few years.

My gut feel is that Baker will only announce his club when he knows the trade deal is effectively agreed.
Maybe we are waiting for a new coach before we commit to Baker.

Montgomery may be chosen and may say I don't want that midget hack in my team 🤷‍♂️

I would rather garcia and peatling myself.

Cheaper younger options that can grow with the side

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back