Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Now if they start directing inappropriate behaviour towards my daughter, that's a different story entirely.
I'd hope I'd raised her well enough to let stuff like that not bother her.
And we wonder why one in four women suffer a sexual assault - because men just do not get it.

It’s not up to women ‘not to be bothered’ by misogynistic adolescent behaviour, it’s up to men to behave in ways that don’t demean women - no matter where it is.

And yep, if that means I’m ‘woke’, fine, but that then means you’re asleep. Wake up it’s 2024 not 1850.

I don't find their humour funny, but if I was there and didn't like it, I would have looked away and have gone about my business. This reeks of people with a public profile being demonised.
Exactly what perpetuates the problem. It is up to men to say this is bullshit.

You’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.

And we wonder why one in four women suffer a sexual assault - because men just do not get it.

It’s not up to women ‘not to be bothered’ by misogynistic adolescent behaviour, it’s up to men to behave in ways that don’t demean women - no matter where it is.

And yep, if that means I’m ‘woke’, fine, but that then means you’re asleep. Wake up it’s 2024 not 1850.
Whoa slow down, women will be wanting to vote next!

The “good old days” schtick is tiring and the idea that “I’m fine with this therefore everyone else should be and if you aren’t then it’s because of woke” is even more so.

Maybe this stuff happens all the time and it's not reported because other staff members aren't bothered by it?

Also the staff member that reported this should be out of a job.
LoL. I take it you havent dealt with the fair Work commission?
If the venue gave her the arse after making a valid complaint about sexual harassment in the work place (and yes even if it was not directed at her it most definitely fits the definition) they will be in a world of hurt and she will be in for a very big pay day.
Agree with it or not, there are workplace laws that protect employees for speaking up about unfit conditions.

Satire is bullshit? Everything we do must be taken literally? We can't mock behaviours in private? We should always be thinking about others watching us and what they would think?

Thats a fine stance to hold but in all honesty, if you were a patron at that bar (I realise it was a closed event but work with me), are you going up to a bunch of 30 drunk AFL footballers and telling them you dont appreciate their humour?
Honest question and one that is easy to say yes when its only theoretical but would you?

Yeah I found that line a bit bizarre.

Yes, teach your kids resilience and dealing with drunken behaviour etc - but this doesn't mean not calling out behaviour that normalises demeaning women. Ignoring it or saying 'boys will be boys' ensures it continues.

Thats a fine stance to hold but in all honesty, if you were a patron at that bar (I realise it was a closed event but work with me), are you going up to a bunch of 30 drunk AFL footballers and telling them you dont appreciate their humour?
Honest question and one that is easy to say yes when its only theoretical but would you?

If I was in that position, correct I wouldn't confront them. I'd probably however do what that bar staff person (or people) did and contact GWS after the fact.

I mean I've been to a fair amount of parties with debauchery (public and private) and I haven't had people there simulating sex acts on dolls or 9/11. Maybe that's just me.

Yes I have reported such behaviour - knowing I’d pay a price. But if you are sincere in your beliefs you can’t pick and choose.

And right now I am calling it out - knowing full well people will come after me.

End of story.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

F*ck I'd love to confront Toby Greene then fly kick the campaigner studs up.

Then bolt out of the venue before he gets up and beats the shit out of me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting what Paul Roos said about Hawthorn trading pick 14 early . ....

“It stains them with the managers. This is what people don’t understand. If Hawthorn don’t do the deal for Barrass, let me tell you, the next time a Hawthorn person rings up (to discuss) a player who’s contracted, let me tell you what the discussion is going to be: ‘Not interested’.

Interesting what Paul Roos said about Hawthorn trading pick 14 early . ....

“It stains them with the managers. This is what people don’t understand. If Hawthorn don’t do the deal for Barrass, let me tell you, the next time a Hawthorn person rings up (to discuss) a player who’s contracted, let me tell you what the discussion is going to be: ‘Not interested’.

People really don't understand just how much power and influence player managers wield now. The whole term of 'contracts not being worth the paper they're written on' comes from one place. Heaps of players wanting to be traded each year, one place. Player managers.

You either get on board the train in regards to player managers or you get nowhere. Now some of them are worse than others and as a general rule the only ones i've met who you would consider to be reasonably nice guys are shit at their job. You have to get the player manager on board with the potential idea, then the player, then the opposition club, then you have to execute it.

As an example just look at Freo. They burnt bridges with CSM and it has come back to bite them in a big way. These guys have memories like elephants and will remember any potential or perceived slight forever. They look after themselves first, their clients second, the AFLPA third, then the AFL and then the clubs.

It's an absolute racket and they know the power they have. The players just want to play footy and most of them are either young, not interested in their contracts or not smart enough to be on top of everything themselves. Even then we find someone like Tom Barrass who is highly intelligent and went against his player managers wishes to sign a contract (that he was very happy with) then when he wasn't happy with how things turned out in regards to his salary in relation to others, his performance and his own perceived football mortality and then you have the manager then go out and look for clubs willing to give them a better deal. 2 years running and it's the club VC.

It's hard enough to get existing talent to WA as it is let alone having these guys as the gatekeepers. GC and GWS have previously very much paid a contract tax (money) in regards to holding onto players. The eagles have paid a bit of a draft pick tax and work really, really hard trying to maintain relationships with these guys to keep players, not have them shopped as much and to have any potential incoming players be told by their managers they're the eagles, they'll get the deal done.

Harley Reid's manager said no matter what do not sign any contract offer during 2024 as it will only cost you. HR has had the club get him Merch contracts, a new Hilux through Toyota for an ambassadorial role as well as other gigs as well. Now you put all that together and then put say a high paying 4 year extension in front of Harley and his family this year and any first year player, particularly a country kid like Harley would have jumped at it. However you have his manager whispering to him just hold out, the offer will get better, just hold out the offer will get better. Oh i'm sure they could be doing or giving you more etc.

Kid loves the club and has loved his first year in WA but the longer a high level talent like that doesn't have a long term contract the more the risk you are of losing them. Now Harley in 1 year has gone from a hugely talented young player to the biggest name in WA football. Who do the kids want to see, Harley. Who gets the best promotional gigs inside and outside the club, Harley. The club has afforded him privileges not normally given to first year players to help keep him happy but the gatekeeper to everything is his manager.

People wonder why the club trades down, drafts country kids and those with primarily a great attitude towards football. ****ing player managers and the self entitlement.

We literally have every single chip stacked against us. The only positives we are likely to get next year is an extra bye and maybe an extra home game but that might not happen till 2026. People shit on the clubs management and you know what, some of it is deserved. But don't try and pretend we haven't been completely hobbled by the entire system, particularly since the first Covid hub.

People really don't understand just how much power and influence player managers wield now. The whole term of 'contracts not being worth the paper they're written on' comes from one place. Heaps of players wanting to be traded each year, one place. Player managers.

You either get on board the train in regards to player managers or you get nowhere. Now some of them are worse than others and as a general rule the only ones i've met who you would consider to be reasonably nice guys are shit at their job. You have to get the player manager on board with the potential idea, then the player, then the opposition club, then you have to execute it.

As an example just look at Freo. They burnt bridges with CSM and it has come back to bite them in a big way. These guys have memories like elephants and will remember any potential or perceived slight forever. They look after themselves first, their clients second, the AFLPA third, then the AFL and then the clubs.

It's an absolute racket and they know the power they have. The players just want to play footy and most of them are either young, not interested in their contracts or not smart enough to be on top of everything themselves. Even then we find someone like Tom Barrass who is highly intelligent and went against his player managers wishes to sign a contract (that he was very happy with) then when he wasn't happy with how things turned out in regards to his salary in relation to others, his performance and his own perceived football mortality and then you have the manager then go out and look for clubs willing to give them a better deal. 2 years running and it's the club VC.

It's hard enough to get existing talent to WA as it is let alone having these guys as the gatekeepers. GC and GWS have previously very much paid a contract tax (money) in regards to holding onto players. The eagles have paid a bit of a draft pick tax and work really, really hard trying to maintain relationships with these guys to keep players, not have them shopped as much and to have any potential incoming players be told by their managers they're the eagles, they'll get the deal done.

Harley Reid's manager said no matter what do not sign any contract offer during 2024 as it will only cost you. HR has had the club get him Merch contracts, a new Hilux through Toyota for an ambassadorial role as well as other gigs as well. Now you put all that together and then put say a high paying 4 year extension in front of Harley and his family this year and any first year player, particularly a country kid like Harley would have jumped at it. However you have his manager whispering to him just hold out, the offer will get better, just hold out the offer will get better. Oh i'm sure they could be doing or giving you more etc.

Kid loves the club and has loved his first year in WA but the longer a high level talent like that doesn't have a long term contract the more the risk you are of losing them. Now Harley in 1 year has gone from a hugely talented young player to the biggest name in WA football. Who do the kids want to see, Harley. Who gets the best promotional gigs inside and outside the club, Harley. The club has afforded him privileges not normally given to first year players to help keep him happy but the gatekeeper to everything is his manager.

People wonder why the club trades down, drafts country kids and those with primarily a great attitude towards football. ****ing player managers and the self entitlement.

We literally have every single chip stacked against us. The only positives we are likely to get next year is an extra bye and maybe an extra home game but that might not happen till 2026. People shit on the clubs management and you know what, some of it is deserved. But don't try and pretend we haven't been completely hobbled by the entire system, particularly since the first Covid hub.
A mate of mine works in the same building as Paul Connors. Agrees with your assessment that the nice ones are shit at their job. PC is very good at his. My mate went to a private function earlier this year at the Melbourne FC where PC was speaking. He asked him about Harley. PC said he would be back in Victoria after his current contract. Take it with a grain of salt as PC was fairly hammered at the time. Either way we either keep a generational player or get some amazing picks for him (although maybe watered down with our current trading abilities).

I and others have said similar , sensed all North Melbournes assistance picks were to trade with us for pick 1 . They wanted Harley in Victoria is my suspicion .
We cant have uncontractef Harley walking to a preseason draft if Geelong only have pick 17 and F1 so we now have 2 years and will get pick 17 , F1, F(second year )1.
So he can be in Victoria .. Conspiracy theory I know

In fairness, every player manager should be doing this. As much as we all want Harley to sign on, he's a 19 year old kid who has just finished his first year away from home. From a fan's perspective, we don't know how any kid is going to handle the move, let alone committing to more time away from home prematurely.

He's also going to be better in year two than year one so naturally his value should go up.

I'd be more concerned about the guys front loading contracts and moving on with a year or two to go.

Pretty much how every fan of a non Victorian club feels.

Pretty much how every fan of a non Victorian club feels.
Perth->Melb round trip 7.75 hrs flight time
Adelaide ->Melb round trip 3 hrs flight time
Brisbane ->Melb round trip 5 hrs flight time

For let's just say 7 games a year in Melb, that's more or less 20 additional hrs travel, almost a whole day lost to travel, compared to what Brisbane do.

In the age of the hyper professional AFL where clubs are trying to exploit fringe areas of sports science to extract just a fraction of a percentage advantage on other clubs, we are starting from a mile behind. If we do everything exactly the same as say a top Vic or Qld club, we will still be at disadvantage by a measurable percentage.

Yes we have no control over geography, but we should be able to receive assistance from the AFL to minimise the affect.

Last edited:
The only positives we are likely to get next year is an extra bye and maybe an extra home game but that might not happen till 2026.

Is this the Eagles expectation of what Nizzy outcomes in the equalisation role hes taking? Is there any feeling that the AFL have already written the results of this equalization policy investigation and are using Nisbett as the poster boy for it so eagles can't complain that they weren't involved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back