Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is going to be hilarious if they stick with Teague.
best world

We win a final
Clarko turns down Collingwood
Teague goes around again
Daicos goes at number 1

This is just Carlton now trying to create a narrative that it isn't 'the same old headhunting, backroom dealing Carlton'.

It's a group of insecure 'heavy hitters' who are doing things just like the Carlton of old but who want to be seen to be doing something different. It's corporate management 101, pretending the substances of your actions can be hidden by the form of the last press release, process or policy documents. These are the same guys who oversaw a transition of power from Silvagni who knows football and was doing a good job to an insecure CEO.

I would go as far as saying the whole review was just a sham to provide cover to bring Lyon in. McClure has been saying for months that the Carlton job was Lyon's for the taking. Love Scoop or hate him, his sources are generally impeccable and he is a Carlton man.

Now the Carlton board, in the ultimate twist, has Carlton'd itself, turning on the guy it head hunted because it thinks there is a better coach available. This has to be an unsurpassable record, something not even the Russian and Middle Eastern oligarchs could manage in soccer.

It is inconceivable that this review has not been completed to the point they can make a call on Teague. The only reason to delay the call is due to Clarkson. It is inconceivable that Teague has the credibility or authority left, taken from him by this process, to continue to coach. No amount of written policy documents and press releases will change that.

There is a very good chance they end this without a coach for next year, probably going back to David Campbell of Egon Zehnder to head up the recruitment process.

Carlton would be better of spilling the board and putting Jack Elliott and his cronies back in. At least they act with guts. It would be an enemy I could respect.

Last edited:
Collingwood traded pick 2 last year.
Dogs could have had pick 2 (on top of Darcy's son) if they followed through with the 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley. Interesting.
Dodoro said Collingwood tried to get involved to to facilitate a three-way trade.

“They (The Bulldogs) would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh,” he said.

So that's pick 2, two seconds, a third and Adam Treloar for Dunkley. We would have given our first to Collingwood.

I honestly don't know how any potential applicant for the Carlton coaching job could look at that dumpster fire and still think it's a good place to work.

The biggest issue is that they seem utterly convinced they're one good coach away from being a contender, with the implication being that if they aren't contending it must be the coach's fault.

I think Clarkson is probably the only one with enough runs on the board to, if necessary, stare down the board and say the list is no good and needs to be rebuilt. Anyone else would just get their marching orders.

My preferred outcome for the Carlton situation isnthe following.
1. Clarkson says no
2. Lyon gets stroppy at how they are split on the board and brought up the financial settlement at Freo and says no.
3. David Teague cant get over the trust issues and resentment borne over the last 12 weeks and resigns.

We then watch as Carlton have to scramble to put together a head coach selection process, only for the majority of strong candidates declining to apply due to the dumpster fire of an administration heading up the club.

Highly unlikely, but it would glorious.

1. Clarkson says no
2. Lyon gets stroppy at how they are split on the board and brought up the financial settlement at Freo and says no.
3. David Teague cant get over the trust issues and resentment borne over the last 12 weeks and resigns.

We then watch as Carlton have to scramble to put together a head coach selection process, only for the majority of strong candidates declining to apply due to the dumpster fire of an administration heading up the club.

Woosha into box seat

I don’t know if this is the right place, but I’ve just seen the ‘Essendon haven’t won a final in XXX’ thread on Carltons board.

Can we pledge to never have the equivalent on our board? it’s probably the lamest thing I’ve seen on BF. A club who is perennially getting number 1 picks/sacking head coaches finding solace in other teams struggles… despite us still competing week in week out, and now making finals… is cringe worthy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Clarkson says no

4. After an exhaustive search, they decide to appoint Brendan Fevola as head coach

The problem will be the bans I will get. But worth it nonetheless.
I will become unbearable if that happens, hell if we win a final i will get banned from the main board

1. Clarkson says no

I don't think it's that unlikely. I'd say it's a 50/50 between your scenario and Clarkson or Lyon coaching. That's pretty disastrous given that Lyon (and then Clarkson) is what this shambles is about.

Someone sunk the knife into Lyon's back just as they seemed to have him locked in. They're now saying he doesn't have the support he seemed to have 1 week ago. Experience suggests Lyon made those FC comments to begin to sell the idea of what had already been agreed. Clarkson is at least claiming he wants next year off because his son is going through year 12.

Teague is clearly holding on to be sacked as I suspect that could be worth a few multiples of 6-figures.

This is a masterstroke is mismanagement by Carlton, up there with Collingwood's salary cap debacle and trade period last year.

A deliberate act of sabotage is unlikely to have yielded more to this point.

Last edited:
I don’t know if this is the right place, but I’ve just seen the ‘Essendon haven’t won a final in XXX’ thread on Carltons board.

Can we pledge to never have the equivalent on our board? it’s probably the lamest thing I’ve seen on BF. A club who is perennially getting number 1 picks/sacking head coaches finding solace in other teams struggles… despite still competing week in week out, and now making finals… is cringe worthy.
Bit of an unwritten rule that we don't do that here. Same deal with the Norf thread.

Seriously embarrassing.

I don't think it's that unlikely. I'd say it's a 50/50 between your scenario and Clarkson or Lyon coaching. That's pretty disastrous given that Lyon (and then Clarkson) is what this shambles is about.

Someone sunk the knife into Lyon's back just as they seemed to have him locked in. They're now saying he doesn't have the support he seemed to have 1 week ago. Experience suggests Lyon made those FC comments to being to sell the idea of what had already been agreed. Clarkson is at least claiming he wants next year off because his son is going through year 12.

Teague is clearly holding on to be sacked as I suspect that could be worth a few multiples of 6-figures.

This is a masterstroke is mismanagement by Carlton, up there with Collingwood's salary cap debacle and trade period last year.

A deliberate act of sabotage is unlikely to have yielded more to this point.
I often laugh when the media rave about how professional the AFL industry is.

Sure, there is some that are (Richmond, Sydney, West Coast) but there are far more that aren't.
St Kilda are 12m in debt and climbing, we have boardroom/coaching disasters at Hawthorn, Collingwood and Carlton (and us last year) and team on the Gold Coast that has had $150m poured into it that were still working out of portables and tin sheds up until 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Bit of an unwritten rule that we don't do that here. Same deal with the Norf thread.

Seriously embarrassing.
Glad it's an unwritten rule too, means we lack the imbeciles that would need it spelt out for them.

We truly are the most astute and erudite supporter board in the land. A real class above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back