Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also this is another big L for the much fabled AFL coaching course.

Dew and Rutten were supposedly star grads and have failed as senior coaches more because they didn’t have command over the footy dept and couldn’t build relationships rather than a lack of tactical nous and understanding.
We need to **** Dodo off this offseason so he can teach the new coaches had to navigate these murky waters.

I would argue that the failings of the two I mentioned are exactly the things that the course should be able to teach you, footy dept stakeholder management, media management, how you interface with a first year player vs a 10 year vet, establishing integrity at the selection table.

It’s all well and good to say you never really know until they get in the chair but they quite clearly had a fair clue tactically, the problems were elsewhere.
Well I would argue that no matter what the teaching is not everyone will succeed. Like I said not everyone who goes to teachers college ends up being a good teacher. In the world of footy where there are always other factors in play you can never guarantee anything. It is a way too simplistic view to say the course should be able to teach everyone to be a good coach. It is no different to other walks of life.

Slobbo's outrage re gcs staff leaking to caro is so hypocritical considering how often he runs stories directly from the dodo/sheeds camp.
Not the biggest Caro fan but in this instance the info she got was genuinely newsworthy.

I also wonder whether he is genuinely naive.

How can the leaker stay at GC?

Robbo, this was a deliberate ploy to move on Dew. The leaker did his job. It's GC and there was no outrage about the performance. It seems pretty clear to me that a few on the board needed some prompting.

Once these stories are published the horse has almost always bolted.

Robbo, this was a deliberate ploy to move on Dew. The leaker did his job. It's GC and there was no outrage about the performance. It seems pretty clear to me that a few on the board needed some prompting.

Yeah possible but he has aided in very similar moves at the Dons. I think he has a history of reacting to stories that Wilson has broken in this manner though, feel like he has a personal grudge against her since the saga (dont blame him in that regard but he shouldnt let it cloud his professional judgement).

Yeah possible but he has aided in very similar moves at the Dons. I think he has a history of reacting to stories that Wilson has broken in this manner though, feel like he has a personal grudge against her since the saga (dont blame him in that regard but he shouldnt let it cloud his professional judgement).

Yeah, true.

I do wonder whether it's because he thinks he is doing the right thing re Essendon.

Think a lot of the prompting came from within the AFL ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he not already announce his retirement? Thought last week was marketed as his farewell game at the MCG or something
i can't recall if he'd announced retirement (and tbh i thought he'd been given a contract extension) but i assumed that was just afl pageantry

what is with footscray? they must be poorly coached. they make everything look so difficult. in finals, sure, that works. make it a grind. but they have no way of getting easy goals. they're kind of the reverse 2014-era hawthorn. if a club is going after hardwick it should be them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back