Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major sliding doors from 2016 for us and Brisbane when we both finished bottom 2 and we got McGrath and they got McCluggage
I reckon the 2015 draft was the sliding doors moment for us. Essendon were really interested in Clayton Oliver, Melbourne gave a future first to go up the draft that year and beat us too him. He would have have been our inside midfield bull until 2030.

I believe we were also closely looking at Charlie Curnow (I really wanted us to draft him at the time) and he got arrested a few days before the draft…

We end up drafting Parish and Francis… and here we are

a) why should they, and b) why would they. So they're asked to be on 360, OTC, FC, MMM, SEN, etc etc as some sort of public spectacle.

Also, my point was more the AFL is in the ABC's sights there. Perhaps a mirror is all i'm suggesting.
If you could be guaranteed there wouldn't be camera's at training, a press conference, elephants, magicians and fireworks about your personal love life....maybe we'd know. But then i keep asking, what business is it of ours.

who cares

I'll add, they made a mess of themselves tripping over the gushing of Phillips and her partners kiss at the AFLW brownlow. No other kiss at the Brownlow has made such a fuss.

Media can't help it. it's their DNA. There's clicks there for the first AFL player to come out and i imagine the players know it.
Hard enough going about your daily as an AFL player.
They made a big fuss about Tayla Harris being photographed kicking a ball too. And they made a big fuss about Conor McKenna spitting on a patch of grass at training. And they made a big fuss about Steven Coniglio's ridiculous wedding (no I'm not kidding). Maybe they just like to make a fuss..?

And with all that said. You know Buddy Franklin, greatest of all time goal kicker and all that jazz? He's basically vanished. Hung up the boots and he's outta there, didn't do the press conference for his own retirement, not gonna do the lap of honour on Grand Final day as it currently stands. And you know what, they make a big fuss about not being allowed to make a fuss too.

You're never going to change the tabloids or the dickheads on BigFooty and Facebook, so there's really no use worrying about them. Be who you are and tell who you want to tell. But you don't have to participate in the press conference, the elephants, the magicians and the fireworks if you don't want to.

What happened to Nathan Murphy?

Dang. I kinda hoping Collingwood would have nothing to play for next week.
They’re locked into top 2 aren’t they?

Hit the turf pretty hard, tunnelled by Rayner I think.

No Murphy. No McCreery.
I reckon we’re a very good chance against the pies. They’re getting smashed by injuries at the wrong time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They made a big fuss about Tayla Harris being photographed kicking a ball too. And they made a big fuss about Conor McKenna spitting on a patch of grass at training. And they made a big fuss about Steven Coniglio's ridiculous wedding (no I'm not kidding). Maybe they just like to make a fuss..?

And with all that said. You know Buddy Franklin, greatest of all time goal kicker and all that jazz? He's basically vanished. Hung up the boots and he's outta there, didn't do the press conference for his own retirement, not gonna do the lap of honour on Grand Final day as it currently stands. And you know what, they make a big fuss about not being allowed to make a fuss too.

You're never going to change the tabloids or the dickheads on BigFooty and Facebook, so there's really no use worrying about them. Be who you are and tell who you want to tell. But you don't have to participate in the press conference, the elephants, the magicians and the fireworks if you don't want to.
Yeah.
Agree with all that. Hence i find the 4 corners focus odd.

I reckon the 2015 draft was the sliding doors moment for us. Essendon were really interested in Clayton Oliver, Melbourne gave a future first to go up the draft that year and beat us too him. He would have have been our inside midfield bull until 2030.

I believe we were also closely looking at Charlie Curnow (I really wanted us to draft him at the time) and he got arrested a few days before the draft…

We end up drafting Parish and Francis… and here we are
Those are neither here nor there. A sliding doors moment is supposed to be a point in time where one particular decision has broad-reaching consequences. Oliver, Curnow and McCluggage instead of Parish, Francis/Weideman and McGrath isn't that... We'd still have holes all over the field.

The sliding doors moment was getting to the start of 2017 and thinking "**** it, the old blokes look great at pre-season training. Let's get some more 26 year olds and try to pinch a flag before they retire". And then persisting with the same strategy at the end of 2018 using both our 2018 and 2019 first round picks. You can blame the saga for the period from 2011 to 2016, but the 5 years after that were pure folly.

The sliding doors moment before that was when they appointed Xavier Campbell as COO and promoted him to CEO a few months later in 2014, who then appointed Worsfold in 2016 to execute a 5 year plan from 2017-2022, Richardson in 2018 and allowed Dodoro to outgrow his boots and take over half the footy department, but that all ultimately falls back to Paul Little's sliding doors moment of 2013 to promote Campbell straight from middle management with no football experience.

And before that, the decision to make Bomber responsible for realising Jim's ambitions at a club that lacked maturity, common sense and the ability to say no, such that we also brought his silly friends over from Geelong, rode roughshod over the club doctor and got ourselves into hot water, which led to Paul Little becoming president in the first place to try and hold the place together by sheer force of will and a lot of private jetsetting.

Can only hope that David Barham's ridiculous actions of 12 months ago have somehow failed upwards to a position where the people in charge are actually competent professionals this time.

If Merrett got a week for his Tackle, McCreery should absolutely get a week.

Not sure what is up with Nathan Murphy but looked distressed on the bench?

Talking a pretty big game before we've even played 😁👀
If we don’t win tomorrow we’d be better off losing to the pies anyway.

Lol they’re not making up 12%

They are when we beat Collingwood by 300.

Happy Oh Yeah GIF by Afta Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back