Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate as long as they are consistent I'm happy with it. We have had some ****ing howler suspensions this year and I'm all for everyone getting the same treatment
I'd rather they get this right. Him losing a Brownlow over that would be horrible

"this must be judged as intentional"

But won't be

The MRO/AFL will probably suspend him. The MRO/AFL let Hewett earlier this season off due to a silly judgement about how it wasn't off-the-ball, but that won't apply here. And it's clearly of sufficient force. It'd be surprising if they didn't suspend him.

It's just what the tribunal will do. He won't get a Jesse Hogan style ruling, because as above, it's of sufficient force. However, earlier this week, when the Tribunal downgraded the level of impact in the Boyd incident, thereby allowing him to escape with just a fine, the Tribunal decided to rule that the usual 'upgrade' to medium impact for forceful front-on contact (the quote below) should be not applied here.

Any Careless or Intentional Forceful Front-On Contact where High Contact has been made and that has the potential to cause injury will usually be graded at a minimum as Medium Impact, even though the extent of the actual physical impact may be low.

So that's important here because Ralph hasn't quoted the rules correctly. He's corrected himself to point out that rules state "....usually be graded". And so there's the window for Heeney to get away. When the AFL probably suspends Isaac Heeney, the Swans will appeal and to try to convince the Tribunal that the usual doesn't apply here. And who knows how that will go. If the MRO/AFL straight up doesn't suspend him, my gut feel then is that they have no faith that the suspension will stand up at the Tribunal even through the rule was basically introduced for exactly this type of action [Again, I'd be surprised if the AFL didn't suspend him. When Butters got banned for his strike the other week, my first thought was that it basically like the Jesse Hogan ban which was dismissed on appeal, but they tried anyway, and then the Tribunal dismissed the charge]

Last edited:
Logan McDonald even exceeds Daniher and Max King in terms of mental midgetry.

He’s getting the ball driven into his chest like no one’s business but he is absolutely meek as shit.
Two weeks in a row now that he’s had the chance to win game himself. As Zach says “mental midget”.

If it was one of ours and they had one hand on the brownlow we'd be shitty I reckon.

Yeah, but it a Sydney POS, and they gave Heeny the mark and even looked like they paid if for him as a free kick judging by where they made the mark. EFF Sydney the cheating umpire favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but it a Sydney POS, and they gave Heeny the mark and even looked like they paid if for him as a free kick judging by where they made the mark. EFF Sydney the cheating umpire favourites.
Forgetting all of that and looking at the footage… it looks like he has tried to push him off and has pushed him a bit high after the St kilda player tripped over his own feet and fell over.

Forgetting all of that and looking at the footage… it looks like he has tried to push him off and has pushed him a bit high after the St kilda player tripped over his own feet and fell over.

The strikes to create separation was a big emphasis for the AFL in the off season. They hate the action, hence the amendment of the rules in the off season to try stamp it out.
It's actually the absolute text book case for why the rule was changed.

I actually feel for the guy as there was certainly no real malice in it, I'd rather the deliberate strikes that are thrown with intent be the focus of suspensions.

That being said he's a brownlow favourite and there is wiggle room in the new laws, I wouldn't be super surprised to see him get off.

I'm just happy that saints won, the action got Sydney an easy goal which led to a couple more and could have flipped the game. It was a shit but of play that could have really robbed them of momentum.

As far as wanting him to be suspended, I kinda hope he isn't, I'd be annoyed to lose a Brownlow over something like that, but Harley Reid lost his rising star for a tackle that 2 years ago would have been fine, so this is what the industry is ok with.
I'd take some solace in that I don't actually reckon he can win it with the other players stealing votes off him compared to someone like Daicos/Bont/Cripps.

The strikes to create separation was a big emphasis for the AFL in the off season. They hate the action, hence the amendment of the rules in the off season to try stamp it out.
It's actually the absolute text book case for why the rule was changed.

I actually feel for the guy as there was certainly no real malice in it, I'd rather the deliberate strikes that are thrown with intent be the focus of suspensions.

That being said he's a brownlow favourite and there is wiggle room in the new laws, I wouldn't be super surprised to see him get off.

I'm just happy that saints won, the action got Sydney an easy goal which led to a couple more and could have flipped the game. It was a shit but of play that could have really robbed them of momentum.

As far as wanting him to be suspended, I kinda hope he isn't, I'd be annoyed to lose a Brownlow over something like that, but Harley Reid lost his rising star for a tackle that 2 years ago would have been fine, so this is what the industry is ok with.
I'd take some solace in that I don't actually reckon he can win it with the other players stealing votes off him compared to someone like Daicos/Bont/Cripps.

Watch this space if naughty toby gets a week for his stomach punch whilst Heeney gets off for his swinging arm

Is there any relatable precedence from this year in Heeneys manslaughter act?

Eh I think Heeney deserves a week, if they're serious about hits to the head then a swinging arm to the head definitely needs to get a game. Forearms to the head can do a lot of damage especially when the other player isnt expecting it, and its such an over-response to having your jumper held by a defender.
He has form too, but even if it wasnt intentional it is reckless and high impact.

It seems that every time someone choose to bump nowadays it ends up with a concussion. Must have been millions of bumps in the old days when it was more normal part of the game that didn't. Seems strange to me.

I reckon there used to be heaps of concussions that simply didn't get treated, that doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Brisbane country roads shit is so bad! Like why the **** are you singing about West Virginia?

Each player nominates a song for when they kick a goal, that's Charlie Cameron's from memory.

I'd rather they get this right. Him losing a Brownlow over that would be horrible

It's Sydney, nothing would be better than a Sydney player missing out on a Brownlow from a touchy MRO ruling.

Personally I could not care less if he is suspended or not but that is just me
I only care for my SuperCoach team (which is shithouse anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back