Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting listening to Duffield, that Harley Reid is more than likely to leave than stay long term.

Gee, they are really in a shit spot.
That's the least surprising thing. That dude is hyper competitive and the Eagles suck. Suspect that is more of a factor than him being Victorian.

Probably why they are chasing so many older players, trying to get competitive.

That's the least surprising thing. That dude is hyper competitive and the Eagles suck. Suspect that is more of a factor than him being Victorian.

Probably why they are chasing so many older players, trying to get competitive.
taking short cuts in a rebuild never works. Hopefully they keep doing it

They could get Stracevich as a free agent, Warner via trade and still be bottom 4.

They really don't have any quality players in the 22 to 27 age group. They are in a similar spot to us in 2016.

Been arguing with Victorians , specifically a Collingwood fan on the main board about Vic Bias.

Its not at about Vic Bias anymore... Its North Bias. lol

Nope, its not about AFL Being Bias towards North Melbourne. Its bias towards the Northern States of NSW and Queensland.

According to the AFL, when it comes to prefered sides for success.... this is the order.

Well this is my opinion anyway....

1. Northern sides of the Queensland (Brisbane and Gold Coast) and NSW (Sydney and GWS) clubs.

2. Teams that play home games in the MCG (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond and Melbourne)

3. Geelong

4. Teams that play home games at docklands (Saints, Dogs and Kangaroos)

5. WA Clubs.

6. SA clubs.

When Tassie comes in, you dockers can decide where they will be ranked.

But North Bias is running rampant in the AFL.
What are you talking about?

The SA sides get gather round.

WA is well and truely at the bottom

If Reid actually is thinking of leaving, that will no doubt put WC in the box seat for Warner as they'll have unmatched draft capital
That is an unhappy thought...
But I heard the Chad was interested in WC primarily for the opportunity to play with Harley...
" I cant finish my career playing once or twice against Harley and looking chit...My destiny is to be at Harleys side 23 times a year..."
So, No HR, No Chad!

This GWS stuff is complete horseshit.

Not allowed to have fun anymore I guess

I get the feeling, the person dressed as Jarryd Hayne, with a sex doll may have been a bit much.

Definitely not something that should be replicated.

FYI - this is me reading between the lines.

If Reid actually is thinking of leaving, that will no doubt put WC in the box seat for Warner as they'll have unmatched draft capital
Come one man, there are multiple threating posts on here about how the draft capital the other team has doesn't matter. Clubs can't force player to go to a team they don't want to, especially OOC.

As long as you can get the deal done, it doesn't matter that the other team can do a better deal when a player is OOC. We have all our picks, plus Richmond's F3 AND the ability to trade in two F1s. There is no single player that we can't afford.

All we have to do is convince Chad.

This GWS stuff is complete horseshit.

Not allowed to have fun anymore I guess

I don’t think the AFL should be handing out fines for what happens in an offseason party in a private room, but mate, if you think it’s funny to dress up like the twin towers, which represents thousands of people who died, and someone pretending to rape a blow up doll is amusing to you then it says more about you than the AFL.

Rape is never funny. Terroist attacks and mass deaths are never funny.

I don’t normally get all serious here but your comment cannot be condoned. Disagree that AFL shouldn’t fine them (with which I would agree) because it ain’t their business as to what happens in a private party, but don’t insinuate that fines shouldn’t dished out because they were “just having fun”.

taking short cuts in a rebuild never works. Hopefully they keep doing it

They could get Stracevich as a free agent, Warner via trade and still be bottom 4.

They really don't have any quality players in the 22 to 27 age group. They are in a similar spot to us in 2016.
Wouldn't be against Starcevich for us if we miss the bigger targets. Finding a spot for him in the back six wouldn't be difficult.

I don’t think the AFL should be handing out fines for what happens in an offseason party in a private room, but mate, if you think it’s funny to dress up like the twin towers, which represents thousands of people who died, and someone pretending to rape a blow up doll is amusing to you then it says more about you than the AFL.

Rape is never funny. Terroist attacks and mass deaths are never funny.

I don’t normally get all serious here but your comment cannot be condoned. Disagree that AFL shouldn’t fine them (with which I would agree) because it ain’t their business as to what happens in a private party, but don’t insinuate that fines shouldn’t dished out because they were “just having fun”.
I don't think anybody is saying that rape and terrorist attacks are funny.

But if we all got fined for every inappropriate thing we ever said or did, we'd all be broke.

Have you never made an inappropriate comment or laughed at a risque joke? Where do we draw the line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be against Starcevich for us if we miss the bigger targets. Finding a spot for him in the back six wouldn't be difficult.
We need a new thread to discuss it.

Ed Allan
Starcevich
Bobby Hill
Warner
Pickett - 2026

There are a few good players, I really want to get Ed Allan back cheaply.

I don't think anybody is saying that rape and terrorist attacks are funny.

But if we all got fined for every inappropriate thing we ever said or did, we'd all be broke.

Have you never made an inappropriate comment or laughed at a risque joke? Where do we draw the line?

In my eyes, rape jokes are way past the line.

The twin towers joke is OK.

Still a joke, they are all grown men, if someone steps out of line punish them.

Given more has come out I am happy for the AFL to be coming down hard on the players that were reportedly making rape jokes using a prop. Thats ****ed behavior.

Still think Greene shouldn't be fined or even reprimanded, he's not their parent. They are all grown men able to make their own decisions and cop the consequences of their own actions.

Given more has come out I am happy for the AFL to be coming down hard on the players that were reportedly making rape jokes using a prop. Thats ****ed behavior.

Still think Greene shouldn't be fined or even reprimanded, he's not their parent. They are all grown men able to make their own decisions and cop the consequences of their own actions.
I think, because it has leaked, they'll definitely have to be fined.

But I also reckon this could be one of the last time we ever hear about stuff like this, not because players will stop doing silly crap like this, but because they will be so closely guarded from now on.

These GWS blokes went as far as they thought they could to keep this behind closed doors and as private as possible and it still got out. How many clubs will be booking function rooms in the future? And the guest lists to these little parties will be super tight.

It's sent another warning out to rest of the league, just like the last time.

Come one man, there are multiple threating posts on here about how the draft capital the other team has doesn't matter. Clubs can't force player to go to a team they don't want to, especially OOC.

As long as you can get the deal done, it doesn't matter that the other team can do a better deal when a player is OOC. We have all our picks, plus Richmond's F3 AND the ability to trade in two F1s. There is no single player that we can't afford.

All we have to do is convince Chad.
For what it's worth, if he leaves Sydney, I think he'll want to come to us, but Money talks. WC will have the capital (if Reid wants out) and they'll likely have the money. If WC make Sydney happy, then everyone (clubs & managers) gets in Warner's ear about that and how he owes the club etc. There's more complex layers than just "what the player wants". I get that players cant be forced, but i guess my point is that i think it could be more even than people on here think. Particularly if Reid leave WC. All just thoughts at this stage, but yes i think he wants to play with his mates, in his home state hence why i think we're at the front of the queue.

In reality none of us know anything. Some fella on the WC board who claims to be highly involved in their trading (if you believe it) has stated that if Sydney won the GF, Warner wouldve been going to the Eagles for pick 3 and the F1. It's all just pie in the sky stuff.

Like i say, i understand you cant force players anywhere, let alone OOC players. I just think it's naive to think we're a shoe in if Warner chooses to come home - and that is the first hurdle. Sydney are a club who rarely lose players in their prime, and always play hard ball. Just think about Ryan O'Keefe and Tom Papley. Both wanted out, both were denied, then a year later they actually signed on longer with the club rather than asking to be traded again.

He has two more years left
yes but if he was to want a trade next year at the time when Warner says he wants to come home, west coast would be in the game to ask for a No. 1 pick and probably another top 10 pick at least which would be a lot of capital to flick on for Warner.

We all know now that years on contracts mean nothing.

I think, because it has leaked, they'll definitely have to be fined.

But I also reckon this could be one of the last time we ever hear about stuff like this, not because players will stop doing silly crap like this, but because they will be so closely guarded from now on.

These GWS blokes went as far as they thought they could to keep this behind closed doors and as private as possible and it still got out. How many clubs will be booking function rooms in the future? And the guest lists to these little parties will be super tight.

It's sent another warning out to rest of the league, just like the last time.

Agree. I'm not expecting guys like that to change and there are plenty around football clubs, assume they will just keep it to house parties.

For what it's worth, if he leaves Sydney, I think he'll want to come to us, but Money talks. WC will have the capital (if Reid wants out) and they'll likely have the money. If WC make Sydney happy, then everyone (clubs & managers) gets in Warner's ear about that and how he owes the club etc. There's more complex layers than just "what the player wants". I get that players cant be forced, but i guess my point is that i think it could be more even than people on here think. Particularly if Reid leave WC. All just thoughts at this stage, but yes i think he wants to play with his mates, in his home state hence why i think we're at the front of the queue.

In reality none of us know anything. Some fella on the WC board who claims to be highly involved in their trading (if you believe it) has stated that if Sydney won the GF, Warner wouldve been going to the Eagles for pick 3 and the F1. It's all just pie in the sky stuff.

Like i say, i understand you cant force players anywhere, let alone OOC players. I just think it's naive to think we're a shoe in if Warner chooses to come home - and that is the first hurdle. Sydney are a club who rarely lose players in their prime, and always play hard ball. Just think about Ryan O'Keefe and Tom Papley. Both wanted out, both were denied, then a year later they actually signed on longer with the club rather than asking to be traded again.
I never said we're a shoe in, or that money isn't a factor or anything like that.

All I am saying is the West Coast getting picks for Reid (which likely wouldn't happen next year anyway) makes absolutely no difference to where Chad does or doesn't go.

Getting bulk picks in no way puts you in the box seat for a player. It just doesn't work like that. I want that narrative to stop because it's wrong and really annoying.

I'm with you mate.

I reckon he's more chance of staying at Sydney than he is going to WC.

If we can't get the deal done, then neither of us get him.

I never said we're a shoe in, or that money isn't a factor or anything like that.

All I am saying is the West Coast getting picks for Reid (which likely wouldn't happen next year anyway) makes absolutely no difference to where Chad does or doesn't go.

Getting bulk picks in no way puts you in the box seat for a player. It just doesn't work like that. I want that narrative to stop because it's wrong and really annoying.

You're very strong in your opinion here, which i absolutely disagree with. If WC was to get hold of pick 1 in next year's draft by trading Reid, how can it not improve your hand in getting a player? - particularly if that player (ala Baker) has stated they want their former club suitably compensated. There's so many factors at play so nothing makes anyone a shoe in, but draft capital definitely plays a factor as that is what gets the clubs talking.

If the eagles offered pick 1 and all we had was a late first rounder, that absolutely can impact the outcome of a potential trade.

You're very strong in your opinion here, which i absolutely disagree with. If WC was to get hold of pick 1 in next year's draft by trading Reid, how can it not improve your hand in getting a player? - particularly if that player (ala Baker) has stated they want their former club suitably compensated. There's so many factors at play so nothing makes anyone a shoe in, but draft capital definitely plays a factor as that is what gets the clubs talking.

If the eagles offered pick 1 and all we had was a late first rounder, that absolutely can impact the outcome of a potential trade.
You're right. Then he stay at the Swans.

WC aren't getting Chad, I'll put my membership on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back