Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday Duff was simply saying that if Warner wants to come home, there will be a bidding war over WC and Freo and Reid's position and influence on draft picks and $$ could influence this.

They were saying it's just more even than Warner coming to Freo to play with his mates
Sounds like a more reasonable take. Money is absolutely a problem, we can't compete there. I'll fight anyone on the draft pick thing though haha

One thing for certain, whoever manages Warner will be playing three clubs like trout all year. You guys are going to spend a lot of time on something that's going to ebb and flow all year as his manager ups the ante between the three

I know a bloke who is gunning for a job there and has literally left all footy chats to be safe in applying for a job. If there are people who work at clubs posting on BF they are absolutely not actually publicly saying they are working for the club. They would be fired the second someone found out. Guy is absolutely full of crap.
Agree. My company has a policy which forbids any posting on internet forums about the company. You would be terminated. It's a bigger organisation in terms of revenue/profit than an AFL team, but I would think an entity like the Eagles would have a similar policy.

One thing for certain, whoever manages Warner will be playing three clubs like trout all year. You guys are going to spend a lot of time on something that's going to ebb and flow all year as his manager ups the ante between the three
This "potential" trade should be forever known as the "Onion Trade", layers and layers and will make at least someone cry

I don’t think the AFL should be handing out fines for what happens in an offseason party in a private room, but mate, if you think it’s funny to dress up like the twin towers, which represents thousands of people who died, and someone pretending to rape a blow up doll is amusing to you then it says more about you than the AFL.

Rape is never funny. Terroist attacks and mass deaths are never funny.

I don’t normally get all serious here but your comment cannot be condoned. Disagree that AFL shouldn’t fine them (with which I would agree) because it ain’t their business as to what happens in a private party, but don’t insinuate that fines shouldn’t dished out because they were “just having fun”.
You need to get it through your head that just because you don't find certain jokes funny, it doesn't mean others don't.

Dark humour exists for a reason, because different people find humour in different things. it doesn't necessarily make them immoral or bad people.

No one has the right to tell people what they should/shouldn't find funny and no one should have the right to punish people for joking around in a private environment if they aren't offending anyone in that environment..

Get off your high horse

You need to get it through your head that just because you don't find certain jokes funny, it doesn't mean others don't.

Dark humour exists for a reason, because different people find humour in different things. it doesn't necessarily make them immoral or bad people.

No one has the right to tell people what they should/shouldn't find funny and no one should have the right to punish people for joking around in a private environment if they aren't offending anyone in that environment..

Get off your high horse

Yeah but they were reported by someone. So unless it was someone who heard from someone else, the a person in the environment was offended.

As far as I see it

If a teammate or similar reported it. Then deal with it internally. GWS basically being an AFL owned and ran club does mean the AFL was probably always going to poke around, but it’s a GWS issue

If a bartender or someone similar reported it, then it’s a bit worse and the AFL does have to get involved.

It’s also worth noting that 17 other clubs have done a Mad Monday or similar and there’s been no issue. There hasn’t been a big issue from these parties in a while. So either GWS got really unlucky and got stuck with someone particularly sensitive or they have crossed a vague line as determined by society.

Every single example, oh except Baker, oh and except Jack Martin, or and any other player who has been forced into the pre-season draft.

You're not exactly getting what I'm saying. I understand a player chooses where they would like to go, but that deal then has to appease the club the player is leaving, and if the player is a good human, they want the team they're leaving to be suitable compensated.

In this instance of a 2 horse race, Warner wants to come home. Depending on who you believe or what horoscopes you look at, Warner could come to either the Eagles or Freo. It's likely to become a bidding war and the team with the most capital may well win. And that's not just my opinion either. Even Mark Duffield and Paul Haselby believe this could be how it plays out.
Baker went for pick 14, not pick 2. It's probably about right for his ability. What his public stance ensured was that the Eagles wouldn't force him through the PSD or even threaten it to get him for a later pick. Because if that were true, then why didn't the Eagles pay more than the pick 11 we offered?

Martin went to the pre-season draft because Gold Coast were making a stand, it had absolutely nothing to do with what picks some clubs did or didn't have. Carlton simply refused the Suns demands.

You're just wrong.

The player picks his preference of club - if the club has the picks to complete the trade that is literally the end of it.

There has never been a trade of player that cost more than what we have at our disposal - we have enough. Eagles could end up with picks 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and it is still irrelevant IF Chad says he wants to come to Fremantle. The OOC club certainly has the right to refuse a trade if its terrible and the player can take his chance in the draft, but they won't do that with the offer we could make.

Yeah but they were reported by someone. So unless it was someone who heard from someone else, the a person in the environment was offended.

As far as I see it

If a teammate or similar reported it. Then deal with it internally. GWS basically being an AFL owned and ran club does mean the AFL was probably always going to poke around, but it’s a GWS issue

If a bartender or someone similar reported it, then it’s a bit worse and the AFL does have to get involved.

It’s also worth noting that 17 other clubs have done a Mad Monday or similar and there’s been no issue. There hasn’t been a big issue from these parties in a while. So either GWS got really unlucky and got stuck with someone particularly sensitive or they have crossed a vague line as determined by society.
The thing that murkies that here is that the bartender wasnt at the event. They went through footage after the fact then reported them. That's pretty pathetic IMO

The thing that murkies that here is that the bartender wasnt at the event. They went through footage after the fact then reported them. That's pretty pathetic IMO

It still depends on a few things.

When I was a cashier, and a customer was inappropriate to the point of getting a ban, you would talk to the managers, who would review the footage and make a call. If this was the case then I still think it’s fair enough to complain.

If it was just someone who heard from a person on shift that GWS were getting rowdy or even just that they were there and went looking then it’s a non-issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC aren't getting Chad, I'll put my membership on it.
Bro that is very foolish. He has to choose between playing for a contender that is not guaranteed to win a GF or an extra $2m for a team will play finals eventually. Put yourself in his shoes, that is a lot of money to turn down just so he can play with friends. Humans are inherently greedy.

Bro that is very foolish. He has to choose between playing for a contender that is not guaranteed to win a GF or an extra $2m for a team will play finals eventually. Put yourself in his shoes, that is a lot of money to turn down just so he can play with friends. Humans are inherently greedy.
Not foolish at all.

1. I don't have a membership, can't lose what I don't got.

2. If he goes to the Eagles, he'll be in his 30s before they play finals again, let alone before he has a crack at a flag (especially painful if he hasn't won one at Sydney before he comes home).

3. If he won't take a slightly smaller paycheck to be at a succesful club as opposed to a bottom dweller (let's face it, we won't exactly be paying peanuts for his services, it just won't be as much as West Coast will offer him) then we don't want him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if he does end up at West Coast instead of us, it's not the end of the world. He's less damaging to us with them than he is making a team like Geelong or Collingwod or Hawthorn stronger than they already are.

And we'll have Kozzie. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back