Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell, Geelong are just going to keep on being good forever aren't they.
We'll be back to Geelong/Hawks GF's again soon. Its uncanny how those 2 teams can just magically rejuvenate while others like Saints/Bombers/Blues continually fail.

Geelong had a heap of generational players come through in a bunch and have managed to draft well too. Hit gold with a couple of mature agers and have had a stable and successful coaching regime for 10 plus years.

Hawks have bottomed out and were ruthless in cutting their older players like Hodge, Mitchell, JOM etc.

Hawks the more traditional bottom out and rebuild method while Geelong have had some unique conditions to allow them to succeed with their method. Both have committed to their chosen way and stuck to it.

We can't replicate the Geelong method but the Hawks model is more like something we can achieve. We are more conservative than the Hawks in holding onto our older players however (and under performing players in general). My view is we hold them too long and need to be move them on sooner.

Geelong had a heap of generational players come through in a bunch and have managed to draft well too. Hit gold with a couple of mature agers and have had a stable and successful coaching regime for 10 plus years.

Hawks have bottomed out and were ruthless in cutting their older players like Hodge, Mitchell, JOM etc.

Hawks the more traditional bottom out and rebuild method while Geelong have had some unique conditions to allow them to succeed with their method. Both have committed to their chosen way and stuck to it.

We can't replicate the Geelong method but the Hawks model is more like something we can achieve. We are more conservative than the Hawks in holding onto our older players however (and under performing players in general). My view is we hold them too long and need to be move them on sooner.
The hawks are two years behind us in their rebuild. We did what they did 2 years ago but instead of topping up with experience, we lost a heap of it but recruited a young star.

Time will tell what method is best long term.

****ing ridiculous.

The AFL is truly a nepotistic corrupt piece of shit organisation and/or a poorly run, incompetent piece of shit organisation .. seriously ..

First round compensation needs to go - End of first round should be the best any team gets ever.

If teams don’t like that then they force a trade. No unrestricted free agent should be worth even an end of first round compensation pick but the system is broken.

In an ideal world players good enough to get first round compo would never be free agents and we would just scrap compensation picks altogether but the AFLPA won’t agree to such a backtrack.

First round compensation needs to go - End of first round should be the best any team gets ever.

If teams don’t like that then they force a trade. No unrestricted free agent should be worth even an end of first round compensation pick but the system is broken.

In an ideal world players good enough to get first round compo would never be free agents and we would just scrap compensation picks altogether but the AFLPA won’t agree to such a backtrack.
Having the rest of the competition pay for a clubs' recruit is an unbelievably shit system. If a club wants a free agent they should just pay their highest pick.

Having the rest of the competition pay for a clubs' recruit is an unbelievably shit system. If a club wants a free agent they should just pay their highest pick.

This in a nutshell

Why should other club's be disadvantaged by a club that can't resign their player? It's utter bs.

Last edited:

I’m all for removing compensation and allowing clubs to ‘match’ restricted free agents to force a trade. There probably needs to be a compromise in what exactly a restricted free agent and what it classified as ‘matching’ a contract for that to happen though.

As much as it’s correct to say Battle isn’t worth Pick 8, he’s still a pretty damn good player - If Hawthorn needed to trade for him getting both him and Barrass would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. At the same I wouldn’t want St Kilda losing Battle for no compensation because they were only almost able to match the contract.

Maybe the compromise is clubs need to get within say 90% of the contract offer over its first three years. If the player wants that extra money or extra years then they could then be traded.

As I think I’ve said before anything that makes player movement harder won’t be excepted by the AFLPA, so now the AFL has put in place this broken system it’s going to be very hard to fix it completely. More realistically I expect them to change how compensation picks are worked out so there’s less funky results.

I still think Ben McKay takes the cake btw and that was so ridiculous that you’d think something would’ve been done. Battle is at least a good KPD who teams would trade a late first rounder for IMO. If we needed a KPD, I wouldn’t even trade pick 30 for McKay.

I’m all for removing compensation and allowing clubs to ‘match’ restricted free agents to force a trade. There probably needs to be a compromise in what exactly a restricted free agent and what it classified as ‘matching’ a contract for that to happen though.

As much as it’s correct to say Battle isn’t worth Pick 8, he’s still a pretty damn good player - If Hawthorn needed to trade for him getting both him and Barrass would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. At the same I wouldn’t want St Kilda losing Battle for no compensation because they were only almost able to match the contract.

Maybe the compromise is clubs need to get within say 90% of the contract offer over its first three years. If the player wants that extra money or extra years then they could then be traded.

As I think I’ve said before anything that makes player movement harder won’t be excepted by the AFLPA, so now the AFL has put in place this broken system it’s going to be very hard to fix it completely. More realistically I expect them to change how compensation picks are worked out so there’s less funky results.

I still think Ben McKay takes the cake btw and that was so ridiculous that you’d think something would’ve been done. Battle is at least a good KPD who teams would trade a late first rounder for IMO. If we needed a KPD, I wouldn’t even trade pick 30 for McKay.
Your ratings of McKay & Battle surpise me.
I personally, would rather McKay than Battle.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree the system is shit but the club getting a free agent shouldn't have to pay their highest pick. It should just be no first round compo for anyone or better yet no compo.

Agree the system is shit but the club getting a free agent shouldn't have to pay their highest pick. It should just be no first round compo for anyone or better yet no compo.
It should be done like the NFL where the compo cannot go into the first round (don't think it even gets to the second round). Most teams get like third and fourth round compensation which in AFL terms would be second and third.

It should be done like the NFL where the compo cannot go into the first round (don't think it even gets to the second round). Most teams get like third and fourth round compensation which in AFL terms would be second and third.
I like that. I’ve always thought the compo was designed to stop teams getting raided a lot. They only apply the free agent adjustment to 1 year though, do it over a 5-10 year period so teams only get compo when they go seriously into the negative.

I'd like it if the compensation pick could be banked for any of the current or following two years, like the picks you can trade, then you can trade the rights to it and they activate the pick at the start of the year and everyone knows it's there the entire season.

Also, if you gain free agents in the time you can lose value on the pick, but if you lose them that single pick gains value.

I enjoy the complications of the system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world we’d change more than you’ve suggested above but IMO there’s two options:
1. Remove compensation altogether
2. Do what you’ve suggested.

Tbh I’d rather them remove compensation altogether but the AFL probably needs to think of a better system in other areas to make that work otherwise the big Victorian clubs are just going to cripple the interstate and weaker Victorian clubs over time until there’s clubs that never have any chance of making finals.

Your suggestion is more simple and tbh I wouldn’t trust the AFL to not completely **** it up if they did anything else.

In an ideal world we’d change more than you’ve suggested above but IMO there’s two options:
1. Remove compensation altogether
2. Do what you’ve suggested.

Tbh I’d rather them remove compensation altogether but the AFL probably needs to think of a better system in other areas to make that work otherwise the big Victorian clubs are just going to cripple the interstate and weaker Victorian clubs over time until there’s clubs that never have any chance of making finals.

Your suggestion is more simple and tbh I wouldn’t trust the AFL to not completely **** it up if they did anything else.
This is another reason I think my draft/auction combo is a winner. You can compensate teams with auction points instead of draft picks and make the auction points tradeable with other teams for draft picks.

It would solve so many problems

The free agency compensation is fine as an idea, the secret herbs and spices the AFL use to determine the banding is completely out of date though and is treating salaries as if they were 3 years ago, 900k isn’t top tier anymore, especially if the club offering doesn’t need to give up a pick to get their target.
The easiest solution as others have suggested is to stop linking it to ladder position and just make it fixed compensation:
Band 1 = end round 1
Band 2 = end round 2
Band 3 = end round 3

That would make clubs force a lot more trades for restricted free agents.

Band 1 should start at a 5 mill contract, 5 years at 1mil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back