Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Always last
Sounds about right.

AFL usually wants a Vic side to win a flag.

I can under stand why the AFL want the Queensland and NSW sides to do well.

theres 5 or 6 million in queensland. So even converting half of them would mean another 2 to 3 million new fans.

There is 8 million in NSW. The AFL would want a slice of that NSW cake too. Even if its just a quarter of that. Another 2 million new fans in NSW is more numbers, More Foxtel Subscribers and More money to the AFL.

Bombers and Blues home ground is docklands. They only play at the G for “blockbuster” games. Hence why Richmond and Pies hate playing at docklands because even their “away” games are at the G
Partially true.... But there is a reason why I specifically ranked those sides in order.

1. Queensland and NSW sides are at the top. There is 5 million in Queensland. AFL would love to gain another 2 million new fans in Queensland when Brisbane does well. When Brisbane won flags in 2001-3, the gabba held 37,500 seats and was sold out. There is 8 million in NSW. AFL would love to gain another 2 or 3 million NSW fans there too.

2. Victorian sides that play home games at the MCG. I put Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn (yeah they play a couple of home games in tassie each season) in this group. One of these sides winning the flag means that the average home crowds is 70 to 90,000 each home MCG game.

3. Geelong. I put Geelong alone a group. Remember when Freo faced them in a final in 2013? I do. Geelong were given a choice. Home game was a choice between 35,000 seat kardinia park or 50,000 seat docklands. Cats make more money having 35,000 paying $40 for a kardinia park seat than 50,000 people paying $40 for a docklands seat. Why? beacause Kardinia park rent is dirt cheap compared to docklands.

4. Vic sides that play home games at Docklands. This is the group of Saints, Bulldogs and Kangaroos. Yes other Vic clubs like hawks and blues and essendon play home games at docklands, mainly against the non vic clubs. But Saints, Dogs and North Melbourne Kangaroos (North plays a few games in tassie for fiancial reasons) play most of their home games at docklands. None of those 3 are teams with massive fan bases. North has won only 4 flags Dogs only 2 and saints with one. All 3 of them usually get 15 to 20,000 people at home vs Non vic sides. Any of those 3 clubs winning a flag isnt going to bring a lot of new local fans.

5. Its Practically a tie Between the 2 SA clubs and 2 WA clubs. I personally dont care about Port or the Crows. I probably would side with them in a grand final if their opponents are victorian. If its vs Freo, well I want freo to win obviously. If its against the NSW or Queensland sides and even west coast, Like the 2024 AFL grand final, I really couldnt care.

Having A south Aussie side winning an AFL grand final isnt gonna grow the AFL presence in SA. AFL have them covered.

As for the last 2 teams. West coast have won a few flags. They have a big fan base partially because of that reason. Them winning the flag again will increase their fan base to a degree again.

Now its down to the Dockers. I would love for freo to win the flag for the obvious and personal reasons because I follow them. Dockers winning the flag wont increase the WA tv ratings a lot. Like SA , The AFL has got WA converted.

Partially true.... But there is a reason why I specifically ranked those sides in order.

1. Queensland and NSW sides are at the top. There is 5 million in Queensland. AFL would love to gain another 2 million new fans in Queensland when Brisbane does well. When Brisbane won flags in 2001-3, the gabba held 37,500 seats and was sold out. There is 8 million in NSW. AFL would love to gain another 2 or 3 million NSW fans there too.

2. Victorian sides that play home games at the MCG. I put Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn (yeah they play a couple of home games in tassie each season) in this group. One of these sides winning the flag means that the average home crowds is 70 to 90,000 each home MCG game.

3. Geelong. I put Geelong alone a group. Remember when Freo faced them in a final in 2013? I do. Geelong were given a choice. Home game was a choice between 35,000 seat kardinia park or 50,000 seat docklands. Cats make more money having 35,000 paying $40 for a kardinia park seat than 50,000 people paying $40 for a docklands seat. Why? beacause Kardinia park rent is dirt cheap compared to docklands.

4. Vic sides that play home games at Docklands. This is the group of Saints, Bulldogs and Kangaroos. Yes other Vic clubs like hawks and blues and essendon play home games at docklands, mainly against the non vic clubs. But Saints, Dogs and North Melbourne Kangaroos (North plays a few games in tassie for fiancial reasons) play most of their home games at docklands. None of those 3 are teams with massive fan bases. North has won only 4 flags Dogs only 2 and saints with one. All 3 of them usually get 15 to 20,000 people at home vs Non vic sides. Any of those 3 clubs winning a flag isnt going to bring a lot of new local fans.

5. Its Practically a tie Between the 2 SA clubs and 2 WA clubs. I personally dont care about Port or the Crows. I probably would side with them in a grand final if their opponents are victorian. If its vs Freo, well I want freo to win obviously. If its against the NSW or Queensland sides and even west coast, Like the 2024 AFL grand final, I really couldnt care.

Having A south Aussie side winning an AFL grand final isnt gonna grow the AFL presence in SA. AFL have them covered.

As for the last 2 teams. West coast have won a few flags. They have a big fan base partially because of that reason. Them winning the flag again will increase their fan base to a degree again.

Now its down to the Dockers. I would love for freo to win the flag for the obvious and personal reasons because I follow them. Dockers winning the flag wont increase the WA tv ratings a lot. Like SA , The AFL has got WA converted.
The AFL has data on the Northern states winning a flag though and nothing sticks. As soon as the dip ones the fans drop off again.

What they need to realise is there is no data on Freo winning a flag, watch us convert the whole state and become bigger than WC. The cash will roll in like we’re Neville F’ing Bartos. We just need the AFL to stop actively screwing us over and it might happen.

The AFL has data on the Northern states winning a flag though and nothing sticks. As soon as the dip ones the fans drop off again.

What they need to realise is there is no data on Freo winning a flag, watch us convert the whole state and become bigger than WC. The cash will roll in like we’re Neville F’ing Bartos. We just need the AFL to stop actively screwing us over and it might happen.
96dyvt.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back