Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You're very strong in your opinion here, which i absolutely disagree with. If WC was to get hold of pick 1 in next year's draft by trading Reid, how can it not improve your hand in getting a player? - particularly if that player (ala Baker) has stated they want their former club suitably compensated. There's so many factors at play so nothing makes anyone a shoe in, but draft capital definitely plays a factor as that is what gets the clubs talking.

If the eagles offered pick 1 and all we had was a late first rounder, that absolutely can impact the outcome of a potential trade.

He clearly stated before that it's not a factor if the club the player chooses has an adequate or even slightly under adequate draft hand to trade for the player. We will have access to 3 First round picks, that is more than enough for the Swans to accept a trade regardless of what the Eagles have.

You're very strong in your opinion here, which i absolutely disagree with. If WC was to get hold of pick 1 in next year's draft by trading Reid, how can it not improve your hand in getting a player? - particularly if that player (ala Baker) has stated they want their former club suitably compensated. There's so many factors at play so nothing makes anyone a shoe in, but draft capital definitely plays a factor as that is what gets the clubs talking.

If the eagles offered pick 1 and all we had was a late first rounder, that absolutely can impact the outcome of a potential trade.
Because the player chooses where they want to go.

And Baker is probably the first player in history to be so vocal about it and they still only payed slight overs at worst.

I'm strong because you are literally arguing against every single example we have. It's ridiculous.

For what it's worth, if he leaves Sydney, I think he'll want to come to us, but Money talks. WC will have the capital (if Reid wants out) and they'll likely have the money. If WC make Sydney happy, then everyone (clubs & managers) gets in Warner's ear about that and how he owes the club etc. There's more complex layers than just "what the player wants". I get that players cant be forced, but i guess my point is that i think it could be more even than people on here think. Particularly if Reid leave WC. All just thoughts at this stage, but yes i think he wants to play with his mates, in his home state hence why i think we're at the front of the queue.

In reality none of us know anything. Some fella on the WC board who claims to be highly involved in their trading (if you believe it) has stated that if Sydney won the GF, Warner wouldve been going to the Eagles for pick 3 and the F1. It's all just pie in the sky stuff.

Like i say, i understand you cant force players anywhere, let alone OOC players. I just think it's naive to think we're a shoe in if Warner chooses to come home - and that is the first hurdle. Sydney are a club who rarely lose players in their prime, and always play hard ball. Just think about Ryan O'Keefe and Tom Papley. Both wanted out, both were denied, then a year later they actually signed on longer with the club rather than asking to be traded again.
That guy on the Eagles board who reckons he is on the recruiting team is FOS

Come one man, there are multiple threating posts on here about how the draft capital the other team has doesn't matter. Clubs can't force player to go to a team they don't want to, especially OOC.

As long as you can get the deal done, it doesn't matter that the other team can do a better deal when a player is OOC. We have all our picks, plus Richmond's F3 AND the ability to trade in two F1s. There is no single player that we can't afford.

All we have to do is convince Chad.
100% agree. But what WC have that we won’t is chest full of gold coins to dish out. We won’t be able to match them. They have cleared out some heavy salaries and Tim Kelly OOC next year as well. This is increased if Reid does leave.

Anyway we throw our hat in the ring offer what we can that is appropriate and try and convince him a team in finals contention is the way forward. If he chooses Freo we trade with what we got. If West Coast trade out Harley and have a war chest full of first round picks like Richmond next year it won’t make a lick of difference if Sydney would like him to go there.

If Reid goes WC will really hit rebuild hard next offseason. I can see them having a large no. of first round picks.

If Chad is just after money then we move on and should chase Pickett hard.

100% agree. But what WC have that we won’t is chest full of gold coins to dish out. We won’t be able to match them. They have cleared out some heavy salaries and Tim Kelly OOC next year as well. This is increased if Reid does leave.

Anyway we throw our hat in the ring offer what we can that is appropriate and try and convince him a team in finals contention is the way forward. If he chooses Freo we trade with what we got. If West Coast trade out Harley and have a war chest full of first round picks like Richmond next year it won’t make a lick of difference if Sydney would like him to go there.

If Reid goes WC will really hit rebuild hard next offseason. I can see them having a large no. of first round picks.

If Chad is just after money then we move on and should chase Pickett hard.
There is no doubt in my mind that the Eagles financial terms will be better, and probably a lot better, than what we (and the Swans) can offer.

We just have to hope that Chad wants to win and play with his mates in Perth.

I don't think anybody is saying that rape and terrorist attacks are funny.

But if we all got fined for every inappropriate thing we ever said or did, we'd all be broke.

Have you never made an inappropriate comment or laughed at a risque joke? Where do we draw the line?
I think there's a big difference between a premeditated plan to come dressed as someone compared to a momentary lapse in judgement with a risque joke.

I don’t think the AFL should be handing out fines for what happens in an offseason party in a private room, but mate, if you think it’s funny to dress up like the twin towers, which represents thousands of people who died, and someone pretending to rape a blow up doll is amusing to you then it says more about you than the AFL.

Rape is never funny. Terroist attacks and mass deaths are never funny.

I don’t normally get all serious here but your comment cannot be condoned. Disagree that AFL shouldn’t fine them (with which I would agree) because it ain’t their business as to what happens in a private party, but don’t insinuate that fines shouldn’t dished out because they were “just having fun”.

'Rape' might not be funny but if you think it's impossible to have a joke about serious topics you must live in a pretty small world.

Because the player chooses where they want to go.

And Baker is probably the first player in history to be so vocal about it and they still only payed slight overs at worst.

I'm strong because you are literally arguing against every single example we have. It's ridiculous.
Every single example, oh except Baker, oh and except Jack Martin, or and any other player who has been forced into the pre-season draft.

You're not exactly getting what I'm saying. I understand a player chooses where they would like to go, but that deal then has to appease the club the player is leaving, and if the player is a good human, they want the team they're leaving to be suitable compensated.

In this instance of a 2 horse race, Warner wants to come home. Depending on who you believe or what horoscopes you look at, Warner could come to either the Eagles or Freo. It's likely to become a bidding war and the team with the most capital may well win. And that's not just my opinion either. Even Mark Duffield and Paul Haselby believe this could be how it plays out.

yes but if he was to want a trade next year at the time when Warner says he wants to come home, west coast would be in the game to ask for a No. 1 pick and probably another top 10 pick at least which would be a lot of capital to flick on for Warner.

We all know now that years on contracts mean nothing.

Just consider that if a side has pick #1 in the draft and the player they want is out of contract they will never, ever trade pick one and anything, they'll just take them at pick one in the National Draft.

He clearly stated before that it's not a factor if the club the player chooses has an adequate or even slightly under adequate draft hand to trade for the player. We will have access to 3 First round picks, that is more than enough for the Swans to accept a trade regardless of what the Eagles have.
But the swans have to accept it, so it is still very much a factor. The swans have a history of being ruthless in these trades, if they're not appeased they will likely find a way to convince him to stay or do something else involving the PSD. there's no givens here.

If the eagles were to have pick 1 + F1 and all we have is a late round 1 pick and F1, it will guarantee play a part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the swans have to accept it, so it is still very much a factor. The swans have a history of being ruthless in these trades, if they're not appeased they will likely find a way to convince him to stay or do something else involving the PSD. there's no givens here.

If the eagles were to have pick 1 + F1 and all we have is a late round 1 pick and F1, it will guarantee play a part.

Absolute rubbish, the Swans aren't going to let Warner head to the PSD if we are offering 25,26 and 27 first round picks.

I get the feeling, the person dressed as Jarryd Hayne, with a sex doll may have been a bit much.

Definitely not something that should be replicated.

FYI - this is me reading between the lines.
The Jarryd Hayne bit i don't understand were they trying to be recognized more here in Sydney by pretending to be him.

It beats me what were they wearing though a 49ers Jersey with his name on the back or a Parramatta Eels jersey.

In saying that the AFL have to be careful Jarryd Hayne won an an appeal on his conviction.

So technically while serving time on 2 different occasions the conviction has been dropped.

Whatever you think of the case he by the letter of the law had his rape charge quashed and is not considered a rapist anymore.

Absolute rubbish, the Swans aren't going to let Warner head to the PSD if we are offering 25,26 and 27 first round picks.
I agree - all i said is it could play a part, in terms of threats, working with other teams, over pricing a player etc etc.

My point is that Sydney have a proven history of getting guys to stay, even when out of contract.

I agree - all i said is it could play a part, in terms of threats, working with other teams, over pricing a player etc etc.

My point is that Sydney have a proven history of getting guys to stay, even when out of contract.

The Swans getting Warner to stay has nothing to do with what we have to offer in the trade though, nor the Eagles. If they can convince him to stay then good on them, but it won't be because he chose Fremantle and all we had to offer was 3 first round picks.

The argument is that the Eagles having the Hawks first round pick next season will not decide where Warner goes in any way whatsoever. I have no idea why guys like Duff etc are trying to push that it will.

No, the swans get bent over just like everyone else does when trading an out of contract player, if you want evidence see Jordan Dawson.

I don’t think the AFL should be handing out fines for what happens in an offseason party in a private room, but mate, if you think it’s funny to dress up like the twin towers, which represents thousands of people who died, and someone pretending to rape a blow up doll is amusing to you then it says more about you than the AFL.

Rape is never funny. Terroist attacks and mass deaths are never funny.

I don’t normally get all serious here but your comment cannot be condoned. Disagree that AFL shouldn’t fine them (with which I would agree) because it ain’t their business as to what happens in a private party, but don’t insinuate that fines shouldn’t dished out because they were “just having fun”.
I think that's the right take for mine. "Just having fun" is a bit gross, there sounds like there was a lot of stuff in bad taste but missing AFL games and a 20k fine for "lack of leadership" because some arseh*le literally went back to watch CCTV footage of a private event and dob on them is bullshit.

That guy on the Eagles board who reckons he is on the recruiting team is FOS
I know a bloke who is gunning for a job there and has literally left all footy chats to be safe in applying for a job. If there are people who work at clubs posting on BF they are absolutely not actually publicly saying they are working for the club. They would be fired the second someone found out. Guy is absolutely full of crap.

The Swans getting Warner to stay has nothing to do with what we have to offer in the trade though, nor the Eagles. If they can convince him to stay then good on them, but it won't be because he chose Fremantle and all we had to offer was 3 first round picks.

The argument is that the Eagles having the Hawks first round pick next season will not decide where Warner goes in any way whatsoever. I have no idea why guys like Duff etc are trying to push that it will.
Is Duff trying to push it as well? **** me dead, it's bad enough someone like Barrett is parroting that crap (listening to Bickley try to call him a moron politely yesterday was soothing at least) but not Duff as well

I agree that the Hawks F1 wont play any part - it's likely to be too close our own first rounder so it'll just come down to $$.
I can't remember if Duffield said the Eagles current picks will play any part but my point today though was if Reid wanted to go that top pick(s) could play a part if Warner is a guy with a conscience and wants lots of money.

Is Duff trying to push it as well? **** me dead, it's bad enough someone like Barrett is parroting that crap (listening to Bickley try to call him a moron politely yesterday was soothing at least) but not Duff as well
Yesterday Duff was simply saying that if Warner wants to come home, there will be a bidding war between WC and Freo and Reid's position and influence on draft picks and $$ could influence this.

They were saying it's just more even than Warner coming to Freo to play with his mates

Yesterday Duff was simply saying that if Warner wants to come home, there will be a bidding war over WC and Freo and Reid's position and influence on draft picks and $$ could influence this.

They were saying it's just more even than Warner coming to Freo to play with his mates

Duff was using draft picks and in particular the Barrass trade to say West Coast are further ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back