Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than a few mature aged (ie around 20-22 yrs old) like Newcombe (was about to turn 20 just after MSD) m, James Peatling (who was 21) and John Noble (who was 22), nothing much eventuates from MSD - especially from 18 year olds that missed out on ND.

If you remember North Melbourne selected the next big thing in 2021 MSD Jacob Edwards.

Pickett at Richmond was also a good plug and play option.

I think you look at replacing injured players with plug and play types. A good example of a player we could have added might have been Corey Wagner a few months earlier in the MSD.

Jai Culley hasn’t done much at all really - incl. WAFl.

I have no doubt he'll be leaving at least $1m on the table to pick us over West Coast if he does. Probably closer to $2m if he chooses to stay in Sydney.
Well at the very least if he does go to WC us staying in the game to the end is going force them to give up probably pick 1 in total value.
They're going to come out of this process with a few very good players but you need a 22. Put aside our super stars look at a selection of our bread and butter -A minus / B graders who are under 24, most are high or highish picks

Clark - equiv pick 20ish - Org pick 14
Johnson - pick 21
Chapman - Pick 14
Sturt - Pick 17
Erasmus - Pick 10
Sharp - Org pick 27
O'Driscoll - Pick 27

Simpson and Davies picks in the 30's

Only Freddy, the two Joshes and Brandon are third rounders or lower.

You don't take bulk picks between 12 and 30 across say a 3 or 4 year period you are relying on luck to fill out your list. (last 5 drafts they have had 5 picks between 12 and 30. Two of them were 29 and 30 and two arguably are already busts: Chesser and Burgiel. UPDATE: Burgiel just got delisted so not arguable.)

Other than a few mature aged (ie around 20-22 yrs old) like Newcombe (was about to turn 20 just after MSD) m, James Peatling (who was 21) and John Noble (who was 22), nothing much eventuates from MSD - especially from 18 year olds that missed out on ND.

If you remember North Melbourne selected the next big thing in 2021 MSD Jacob Edwards.

Pickett at Richmond was also a good plug and play option.

I think you look at replacing injured players with plug and play types. A good example of a player we could have added might have been Corey Wagner a few months earlier in the MSD.

Jai Culley hasn’t done much at all really - incl. WAFl.
I think there’s been a few actually, Sam Durham is probably one of the best MSD picks. D’ambrosio is another fine selection from there even though Essendon stupidly gave him away. Logan Evans of port is another recent one that I really like the look of so far. Cooper Sharman of the saints.

The likes of Shaun Mannagh could have been recruited mid season too I think in these drafts.

It’s true most don’t make it but there is the odd nugget of gold in there. Probably similar success rate to the end of season rookie draft in most of the recent seasons actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back