Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it a word that has been used to marginalise, belittle and bully a subset of the population?

Difference between a slur and a swear.

Comes down more to respect right?
“Hey, try not to use that word around me, I have issues with it. Can you find a different swear?”

Again, friends use it, don’t use it around Mrs D out of respect. 🤷🏼‍♂️
At it's heart it's misogynistic and I expect its use will lead to suspensions in the not too distant future.
That misogyny is obviously not on people's minds when they use the word (hell, I know people who use it as a synonym for "bloke") but ultimately that doesn't matter. The same is true of the word Clarko used, people just drop it as an equivalent to "arseh*le" or "****wit" without it even crossing their mind that it is a homophobic slur. (Not a defence of Clarko, it IS homophobic).
Collard's word is somewhat different in that it remains tied up with notions of effeminacy and the idea that homosexual men are not "real men".

You have to walk up to a bloke and seek his consent to tackle. Once received, you are to carefully wrap your arms around him while standing, remain standing for the duration and hope the powers of the officiating umpire to divine intent and opportunity are strong and in your favour.

THought Cameron used all his good bloke tickets earlier in the year, but it seems he found some.
Got nothin gto do with what happened earlier in the season. He was dudded by the AFL mafia in this case.A Legal football action.
Same as Bedford, in both cases, a free kick was not even payed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual the AFL finally reading the (Victorian) room and manufacturing an outcome to take the heat of the focus on umpiring this week.
Don’t agree. Both suspensions fall into a category of suspending on outcome, not intent or action. They should never have been cited in the first place, same as Webster on Frederick

I disagree. I don't believe Cameron or Bedford had any case to answer. Both were strong tackles.
AFL tackles are generally poorly executed. There's an over reliance by players to use their own body (dead)weight to bring a player to ground.

It's always been problematical injury wise going to ground in a tackle. For a long time leg injuries became a greater risk, but now with what we know about CTE it's even more unconscionable to do nothing to mitigate that risk.

If any player keeps their feet when tackling they will have zero case to answer.

At the end of the day the game gains nothing by prioritising tackling over ball movement anyways.

Nah. There are few things more exhilarating and team lifting than a rundown tackle.

I still think about James Clement chasing down Darren Milburnand dragging him to the deck.

Troy Cook ripping the life out of blokes.

It’s fantastic.

Cameron’s is ridiculous. Bedfords I can see one day maybe the lunge being included in the dangerous tackles definition, but it’s not a suspension under current law.
An elbow to the head of a player not involved in the game gets a third of what legal football actions did.
The world has gone crazy but if the AFL continue to screw the game the world will be cfked

Had a think about this. Went with Hayden Young and Nick Daicos. That midfield would be orgasmic.

Any thoughts?

Luke Jackson and Lord Meek

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I was reading on the AFL site Cameron's case was dismissed because of a legal technically in the procedural manner as presented by the AFL. Similar situation to the case where the suspension for Cripps was overturned (that's how it read to me anyway?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back