Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In all honesty, you could do a lot worse and he'd be pretty handy if god forbid Joe / Eric went down.

He couldn’t break into a team that had no tall forwards and that used petty as a forward all season for a return of 9 goals.

So do I - I'm not buying that it isn't.

They keep banging on about his cooking; like what I used to say when a family member was enamoured with MasterChef. The contestants all could have got into cooking by getting apprenticships but don't want that because its too hard and is essentially a lifestyle of working when most are out enjoying themselsves, they are only intrested in becoming a TV cook and talking like they are an expert.

Perhaps Christian should trade in his footy career and go get a cooking apprenticeship. Seriously why anyone would watch or follow his crap is beyond me.
Considering the stuff the world famous chefs put out there...

Imagine if Taylor Adams misses 2 grand finals in 2 years for 2 different teams

Do we have an overall Trade Thread on this board or do we have separate ones for the Lions and one for non-Lions or is it just this thread?
Just this for Non-Lions stuff + 2024 List Management thread for Lions trades/signing discussions

Could Petracca argue that Melbourne is an unsafe workplace to get out of his contract and go to another club as a free agent?

Let’s test the trade system with RESTRAINT OF TRADE

Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn... while their season is still alive... So much for the official Trade "week"!

Same with Petracca to Carlton for Harry McKay.
Stick a mike in front of McKay and ask the question when he lands in Brissy. Will be fun.

Same with Petracca to Carlton for Harry McKay.
Stick a mike in front of McKay and ask the question when he lands in Brissy. Will be fun.
I guess technically the Petracca one isn't a formal request to a certain club yet? But the point is still the same: it must be disruptive to the team that is still playing and a massive distraction to certain players who could be impacted.

Plenty of material for someone who is well practiced at the art of sledging too no doubt! 🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn... while their season is still alive... So much for the official Trade "week"!
Exit interviews are already being held for bottom-10 teams. If player wants to go to a top-8 team, in this case Hawthorn, they're going to tell the club in that interview.

Exit interviews are already being held for bottom-10 teams. If player wants to go to a top-8 team, in this case Hawthorn, they're going to tell the club in that interview.
Out of respect to the playing teams it is usually left until after they are knocked out

Out of respect to the playing teams it is usually left until after they are knocked out

If I was Eagles I won't show any respect to their situation, they've managed to swoop in on the club's vice-captain and been negotiating with him for a while. If this disrupts their planning, so be it.

Interesting piece in the Herald Sun just now saying if Petracca wants a trade that badly, due to his various issues with the Dees, he could use the grievance tribunal.

The Herald Sun can reveal there is a process through the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement where he could ask the AFL to step in to broker a trade through mediation if all attempts to convince the Demons he wants a new start fail.
The grievance tribunal is the nuclear option and has never been used before but is detailed in the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement.
The AFLPA is aware of the grievance tribunal, with some player agents in the league believing Petracca would have a case given the list of issues he has with the Demons.
The first option for Petracca would be opening up on his reasons for a trade - the club’s cultural issues, Clayton Oliver’s behaviour, the Josh Smith trafficking allegations - which could help force the club’s hand.
At a series of player gatherings across the weekend it was clear that players want more clarity over his future.
A series of Melbourne players met on Sunday night at the Botanical Hotel, with some now despairing at the damage being done to the club and aware that trading Petracca might be the right option.

The Petracca situation should be one more step to players being traded without agreement from the player. Petracca signed a long-term contract to remain at Melbourne. He got the certainty of financial renumeration for the period of the contract, but he's now (reportedly) demanding out. Melbourne hold the bargaining power only as far as they're willing to have him back at the club - but if reports are correct and he's a destabilising presence with the remainder of the playing group then chances are he'll get his wish... but in these circumstances why should he get to demand to go to a big Melbourne club, where he can further increase his earning potential?
There is also the alternate situation (Grundy, Treloar) who were pushed out against their will. in the end both players could have stuck to their guns and held Collingwood to their contracts - but they would have perhaps been starved of opportunity or other professional ramifications (who knows).

Kane & Bucks were talking about trading against a players wish recently. Basically they suggested a solution that a player was on a 2+ year contract above the median contract value, then they should be able to be traded against their will, or 3+ year contract at lesser money. Alternative for players is to accept a shorter contract length so the player retains the right to chance clubs when uncontracted or accept less money on a longer deal for location security. Doesn't seem outrageous to me.

For me, ultimately in the scope of long contracts, the club takes all the risk. It's not right that a players can demand to be traded if the club wants them to remain, once the players has secured to multi-year, multi-million-dollar contract.

Last edited:
You know it's legal jargon and arguments galore at the tribunal when even David Zita can't work out what they're arguing about in the Kozzy Pickett case. It's been going for 2 hours now and they haven't even started deliberations...

There's still another tribunal case tonight too

You know it's legal jargon and arguments galore at the tribunal when even David Zita can't work out what they're arguing about in the Kozzy Pickett case. It's been going for 2 hours now and they haven't even started deliberations...

There's still another tribunal case tonight too

Adrian Anderson - say no more.

The Petracca situation should be one more step to players being traded without agreement from the player. Petracca signed a long-term contract to remain at Melbourne. He got the certainty of financial renumeration for the period of the contract, but he's now (reportedly) demanding out. Melbourne hold the bargaining power only as far as they're willing to have him back at the club - but if reports are correct and he's a destabilising presence with the remainder of the playing group then chances are he'll get his wish... but in these circumstances why should he get to demand to go to a big Melbourne club, where he can further increase his earning potential?
There is also the alternate situation (Grundy, Treloar) who were pushed out against their will. in the end both players could have stuck to their guns and held Collingwood to their contracts - but they would have perhaps been starved of opportunity or other professional ramifications (who knows).

Kane & Bucks were talking about trading against a players wish recently. Basically they suggested a solution that a player was on a 2+ year contract above the median contract value, then they should be able to be traded against their will, or 3+ year contract at lesser money. Alternative for players is to accept a shorter contract length so the player retains the right to chance clubs when uncontracted or accept less money on a longer deal for location security. Doesn't seem outrageous to me.

For me, ultimately in the scope of long contracts, the club takes all takes all the risk. It's not right that a players can demand to be traded if the club wants them to remain, once the players has secured to multi-year, multi-million-dollar contract.
Agree with this completely. The league models itself on American professional sports. This is what it properly looks like

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back