Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What about taggers who just face the player they are tagging at a stoppage and move all over the place stopping his path to the ball/contest, has no interest whatsoever in getting the ball himself. Lachie Neale cops it every week and yes I know we do it as well.

I just don't see it as fair play, if a defender did that in the F50 re an incoming marking contest it would be a free against every time.
It's illegal shepherding.

There's a rule book. But the AFL has tinkered with interpretations to the rules so often that all we have now are interpretations but not many rules.

The tactics used against gun players and the midfield champs are often illegal. You can't block or impede someone's progress more than 5m off the ball to start. That's illegal shepherding. Holding someone without the ball ,tug at their jumper or even locking arms with them if you initiate it is a free kick full stop . Mostly never gets paid.

Because the umps have traditionally overlooked these free kicks the game gets scrappy and ugly and there's a sentiment out there from the commentators that both players are involved but's it's one player who initiated it most of the time.

It's carte blanche allowable to scrag Charlie but if you hold or pull at someone's jumper or arm that's a free. They let it go all day then pull one out to a guy who was never going to mark or get the ball as if all the other ones never happened.
What shites me the most is when this sort of thing goes on all game and then an umpire pulls a random free kick out of his backside, double standard inconsistency is so infuriating.

The tactics used against gun players and the midfield champs are often illegal. You can't block or impede someone's progress more than 5m off the ball to start. That's illegal shepherding. Holding someone without the ball ,tug at their jumper or even locking arms with them if you initiate it is a free kick full stop . Mostly never gets paid.

Because the umps have traditionally overlooked these free kicks the game gets scrappy and ugly and there's a sentiment out there from the commentators that both players are involved but's it's one player who initiated it most of the time.

It's carte blanche allowable to scrag Charlie but if you hold or pull at someone's jumper or arm that's a free. They let it go all day then pull one out to a guy who was never going to mark or get the ball as if all the other ones never happened.
Some of Windbagers tactics should have resulted in 10+ frees to Lachie. He wasn’t even interested in the ball unlike say Bez who tags but I don’t think employs dirty tactics and gets plenty of the ball.

Would like the umps pay more of the frees they can for off the ball stuff. Jumper holding, etc.

Stop the niggle escalating
Yep, this. There will be a massive outcry for 2 weeks about how soft the game has become. Then the players will adapt and we'll see a much better spectacle.

And pre-tackling needs to be included in this too.

Yep, this. There will be a massive outcry for 2 weeks about how soft the game has become. Then the players will adapt and we'll see a much better spectacle.

And pre-tackling needs to be included in this too.

#1 issue that I still can't believe they haven't even tried to crack down on.

Yes it is very hard to stop, yes players on both sides hold each other in the same play, but the number of times that a player has got done HTB because their opponent had grabbed their arm before they even picked the ball up is ridiculously high.

At least the Lions have already played North.
However, a shift in game style to move the ball less aggressively coupled with the return of Charlie Comben have led to their defensive profile completely flipping.

Since Round 13, they have conceded scores of 65, 119, 70, 77 and 83.

“They have the number one defensive 50 in the competition over the last six weeks,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday.
1720574242330.png

Yes it is very hard to stop, yes players on both sides hold each other in the same play, but the number of times that a player has got done HTB because their opponent had grabbed their arm before they even picked the ball up is ridiculously high.
Yep exactly. And if the umpire can't decide who was doing it first, just pay it to the team whose front half the ball is in. Much better deterrent than the reverse. See the Max King free kick against Mac Andrew.

And to your specific point... I'm trying really hard, really really hard to not mention it because I know I'm a broken record on this... Trying really hard... But I've failed...

Your point will make the removal of prior opportunity from the rule book far more palatable.

There. I said it. Again. Sorry everyone 🙏

Last edited:
Seen a few Dees fans say former Lion Tom Fullarton will replace Gawn this week against Essendon, which is an interesting choice to say the least.

Yeah, 'holding the man' (along with 'push in the back') were the most frequently paid free kicks back in the day when the umpires were instructed to let the creative players create rather than allow nullifying players to nullify. Not sure why this philosophy was moved away from.

Yeah, 'holding the man' (along with 'push in the back') were the most frequently paid free kicks back in the day when the umpires were instructed to let the creative players create rather than allow nullifying players to nullify. Not sure why this philosophy was moved away from.

I think push in the back isn't being paid because they kept diving and drawing the free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think push in the back isn't being paid because they kept diving and drawing the free
But you'd rather that and actually give the player first to the ball the rub of the green than give the benefit of the doubt to the second player who's up the first player's jumper. Surely. But evidently not.

So much for "we actually want to give players incentive to go for the ball" 🤷

But you'd rather that and actually give the player first to the ball the rub of the green than give the benefit of the doubt to the second player who's up the first player's jumper. Surely. But evidently not.

So much for "we actually want to give players incentive to go for the ball" 🤷

If the incentive is to try and draw a free then probably not

If the incentive is to try and draw a free then probably not
Awarding a free kick to a player who is first to the ball but baulks before taking possession, forcing his opponent to run into his back, to me is overwhelmingly preferable to the situation we already have where players would prefer to be second to the ball so they can lay a tackle. It's like driving a car: if you were unable to brake effectively and safely, you were too close in the first place.

If we really want to reward the player who's first to the ball, then let's actually reward them, rather than merely giving it lip service like we currently do.

But I'm aware not everyone agrees with me on this, so where we all sit on this spectrum probably colours our views in this discussion.

On Rankine.
The Crows deployed a quite simple strategy.
Rankine in the guts for centre bounces then roams forward meanwhile Dawson started in the F50.

It has been working for them quite well. However Brisbane knew this was coming and had a simple strategy.
Dunkley on Rankine on his shoulder in centre bounces.

As soon as the CB was completed Starc went to him. He was face guarding him in a stoppage on the wing 15 seconds prior to the incident. Starc was being incredibly tight and not looking at the ball and just trying to stop his run. Basically tagging him like Windhager did to Neale

15 seconds later he gets knocked out because Rankine was like 'this isn't fair' and went the cheap shot.

Starc has beaten Rankine many times, so he probably thought I will roam free and not cop the close checking. We just gameplanned for it.

Lachie Neale would have ironed out 10 blokes off the ball if he had the same temperament as Rankine. Also it was telling that Neale went straight to Izak at the start of the 2nd Q and niggled while telling him what he thought of the cheap shot

What a leader Neale is!

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back