Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible comparison. The situations are not even remotely similar.
if you run about the football field and you're unaware who's around you you'll get body checked. Rankines body check was a charge and a head high one at that. he should get weeks for that. that's good. in comparison did we ever see Simon Black unaware of his surroundings.......Josh Drummond etc.
Starce has been bumped like this plenty of times before. It's tells me he's a ball watcher.....not a great attribute for a defender.

if you run about the football field and you're unaware who's around you you'll get body checked. Rankines body check was a charge and a head high one at that. he should get weeks for that. that's good. in comparison did we ever see Simon Black unaware of his surroundings.......Josh Drummond etc.
Starce has been bumped like this plenty of times before. It's tells me he's a ball watcher.....not a great attribute for a defender.
I feel that every player in the game has been caught out ball watching before.
Just because most don’t cop a high bump as a result of the ball watching doesn’t mean it is their fault or that they are accountable if they do.

Last edited:

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

Silly arguments aside what's been missed imo over all this is that Starcevich had been shadowing Rankine hard up to that point and Rankine expected him to turn and run towards him like defenders often do. Rankine made a split second decision to get a bit pro active , Starcevich kept looking at the ball and down he went.

Bad miscalculation by Rankine seeing Starcevich got concussed and subbed.

Last edited:
Silly arguments aside what's been missed imo over all this is that Starcevich had been shadowing Rankine hard up to that point and Rankine expected him to turn and run towards him like defenders often do. Rankine made a split second decision to get a bit pro active , Starcevich kept looking at the ball and down he went.

Assumption is the Mother of all ****ups!

rankines charge was a charge not a sold block. good tough footballers like mitch robbo or linc would have blocked solidly, holding their ground, sitting their opponent on his arse.....perfectly legal and good, hard, fair footy. rankines effort was vicious and reckless. in my experience, acts like rankines are usually based in fear and a fearful mentality.

Just on starce, remember how many times he gets caught out by a forward who slips out the back leaving starce sprinting back to the goal square to spoil a mark. It happens regularly. He keeps getting caught ball watching and not being aware that his opponent has slipped out the back door. It's a problem in his game.

rankines charge was a charge not a sold block. good tough footballers like mitch robbo or linc would have blocked solidly, holding their ground, sitting their opponent on his arse.....perfectly legal and good, hard, fair footy. rankines effort was vicious and reckless. in my experience, acts like rankines are usually based in fear and a fearful mentality.
Rankine's fearful ?

OK. Not his usual form.

Just on starce, remember how many times he gets caught out by a forward who slips out the back leaving starce sprinting back to the goal square to spoil a mark. It happens regularly. He keeps getting caught ball watching and not being aware that his opponent has slipped out the back door. It's a problem in his game.

Or alternatively he is holding our defensive structure.

Our forwards did this in the Melbourne game for instance. Sat off their press so that if we won the ball they’d be out for the over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Back