Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing Sicily looking angry and spraying expletives after they got nutted was just awesome.
He would have been gutted that he missed kicking the winning goal and being the hero .
I don’t like Port but I was barracking for them last night .

He would have been gutted that he missed kicking the winning goal and being the hero .
I don’t like Port but I was barracking for them last night .

There’s a lot to dislike about this new breed Hokball Hawks. But After watching Mitchell’s presser, I was so grateful that we have Fages as our coach.

Mitchell was self centred and focussed on his own feelings of disappointment. I couldn’t help comparing it to Fagan’s response to losing the Granny last year. Proud of the boys and congratulating Collingwood on playing well.

When they asked Mitchell about the Hinkley/Sicily thing, I was amazed that he launched into that convoluted self centred tirade. We all know what Fages would have done… that innocent, “Old dad” look followed by, “I didn’t see it.” 😂

I love Fages! ❤️

There’s a lot to dislike about this new breed Hokball Hawks. But After watching Mitchell’s presser, I was so grateful that we have Fages as our coach.

Mitchell was self centred and focussed on his own feelings of disappointment. I couldn’t help comparing it to Fagan’s response to losing the Granny last year. Proud of the boys and congratulating Collingwood on playing well.

When they asked Mitchell about the Hinkley/Sicily thing, I was amazed that he launched into that convoluted self centred tirade. We all know what Fages would have done… that innocent, “Old dad” look followed by, “I didn’t see it.” 😂

I love Fages! ❤️

Mitchell was embarrassing in that presser. Almost hysterical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The person who came out of this looking best was Buckley. You can tell he doesn’t like Jordan Lewis and he just plays to the hot-head’s emotions brilliantly. Done it a few times and I love to see it

Remarkable game. I only saw bits and pieces but every bit I saw looked exactly the same. Port stepped into a time machine and took the game back to North Melbourne in the 90s. Everything in straight lines towards goal, taking whatever territory was on offer. 206 kicks and 117 handballs almost made our guys look handball happy! Such a low disposal game overall when you think about how some teams have had over 400 disposals even just in this finals series.

To be honest when they went in as tall as they did, it was the only way they could play really. Kick long to contests and get whatever smalls they could at their feet. 69 marks to 71 also very low - everything was a contest.

The most important thing it did was made it harder for Hawthorn to play their game of making the ground big and using its full width. Port playing everything in straight lines meant Hawthorn had to be accountable and also set their defence in that straight line, making it harder for them to spread when they got it.

And then of course it was all about the effort from the Port players. Consistent 110% intensity for the full 120 minutes. Just denying Hawthorn any of the time and space they had become used to in recent months. I think the questions of whether that is sustainable for another 1 or even 2 games are pretty valid for that reason.

Overall then it was a pretty simple strategy really, but (a) the "going back to basics" was probably what the Port players needed after last week and (b) it also just so happened to stunt everything Hawthorn wanted to do.

So on that score you have to give Hinkley a lot of credit. Good coaching is not always about elaborate game plans. Sometimes it's simply about knowing your opponent and, even more importantly, knowing your own players.

Remarkable game. I only saw bits and pieces but every bit I saw looked exactly the same. Port stepped into a time machine and took the game back to North Melbourne in the 90s. Everything in straight lines towards goal, taking whatever territory was on offer. 206 kicks and 117 handballs almost made our guys look handball happy! Such a low disposal game overall when you think about how some teams have had over 400 disposals even just in this finals series.

To be honest when they went in as tall as they did, it was the only way they could play really. Kick long to contests and get whatever smalls they could at their feet. 69 marks to 71 also very low - everything was a contest.

The most important thing it did was made it harder for Hawthorn to play their game of making the ground big and using its full width. Port playing everything in straight lines meant Hawthorn had to be accountable and also set their defence in that straight line, making it harder for them to spread when they got it.

And then of course it was all about the effort from the Port players. Consistent 110% intensity for the full 120 minutes. Just denying Hawthorn any of the time and space they had become used to in recent months. I think the questions of whether that is sustainable for another 1 or even 2 games are pretty valid for that reason.

Overall then it was a pretty simple strategy really, but (a) the "going back to basics" was probably what the Port players needed after last week and (b) it also just so happened to stunt everything Hawthorn wanted to do.

So on that score you have to give Hinkley a lot of credit. Good coaching is not always about elaborate game plans. Sometimes it's simply about knowing your opponent and, even more importantly, knowing your own players.
They can say what they like about Kenny but getting that mob to a prelim proves that he's a great coach who has the total support of his players.

I'll be miffed if they're there and we aren't because presently we'd roll them by over 6 goals but that's the way the fixture has fallen in this finals series.

Big match for us tonight. Hope we come out like Port did but with the extra finesse we have in us.

wouldnt have carried on like hinkley did but i find it bizarre how everyone from their own coach to the media seems to infantilize this hawthorn team. theyre adults. should not be an expectation that they have a free pass to run their mouths constantly without expecting to cop it in return.

Love the passion but that behaviour from a 60 year old man while a legend of the game is being chaired off is embarrassing.

Good on Ken Hinkley.

Agree with Greg Davis.

"Please spare me the Hawthorn outrage towards Hinkley’s post-match spray.

“The Hawks are happy to really carry-on after a win and old mate is happy to lip-up and provoke the crowd. Copped a bit back. That’s footy karma. Suck it up Hawks. Well done Kenny."

Last edited:
wouldnt have carried on like hinkley did but i find it bizarre how everyone from their own coach to the media seems to infantilize this hawthorn team. theyre adults. should not be an expectation that they have a free pass to run their mouths constantly without expecting to cop it in return.

They can’t possibly be responsible for anything they say or do because they’re in their 20s.

Sure Kenny overstepped the mark a bit but to me it was all harmless fun until Sicily came charging in like Rambo mouthing off. and then Mitch went full Eva Peron in his presser ,crying like a baby as if some predator had assaulted one of his kids.

What a bunch of tossers and precious twits they are.

The AFL will get all serious and the Hawks mafia in the media will pretend that the Bill of Rights has been perverted but the truth is it was the most entertaining theatre the AFL has had for a while and everyone who witnessed it had a good laugh.

They can’t possibly be responsible for anything they say or do because they’re in their 20s.
Quite telling that through his gritted teeth Mitch was going as far away as he could from admitting that Ginnivan's tweet had a big effect on the outcome of his game.

They've only got their own hubris to blame and doubling down pretending that they're martyrs to have come so far and be pipped in a close one was not the greatest look of all time.

They won't be getting away with doing what they've done this year in future. But to give Mitch his due he's a very smart footy operator and he'll bolster their list in the right areas.

Love the passion but that behaviour from a 60 year old man while a legend of the game is being chaired off is embarrassing.
Spare me; it started well before that and Keeny stood firm when Breust was being chaired clapping him and it was their sook Sicily still carrying on whilst he was chairing him. Watch it again and your version of events is fiction.

The faux outrage by Hawthorn and their embarrassing coach’s presser and any apologist for them is a joke. The karma bus steamrolled them and perhaps they might learn a thing or two about dishing it up that it just might bite you on your arse.

Despite cracking the sads and being absolute glass jaws last night I bet they’ll be doing aeroplane celebrations next time they play port.

1726278385045.jpeg

They can say what they like about Kenny but getting that mob to a prelim proves that he's a great coach who has the total support of his players.

I'll be miffed if they're there and we aren't because presently we'd roll them by over 6 goals but that's the way the fixture has fallen in this finals series.

Big match for us tonight. Hope we come out like Port did but with the extra finesse we have in us.
One thing Ken has always done is get his team up in a big emotional way. After the media battering, the arrogant Hawks played into his ability to set the "us against the world" narrative. His players came out breathing fire against that.

Problem has always been maintaining that rage. They struggle to keep playing that way for weeks at a time

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back