Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

God this is very St Kilda.

Ironic given they are the one Melbourne club that gets handouts on par with all the Northern state clubs that need propping up off field to be competitive financially.

Ironic given they are the one Melbourne club that gets handouts on par with all the Northern state clubs that need propping up off field to be competitive financially.

Good point. And they play a brand of football which isn't commercially appealing to the networks.

They're all going to come for us if we have sustained success just like in 2004.

Hopefully we took those lessons in.

Has he for one moment asked himself why Brisbane is successful now ? It's by doing the opposite of what St.Kilda has done.

Step 1. Have a club ,coaches and environment where good players can see a pathway for personal fulfilment and success.

St. Kilda ???.

i mean i can kind of see where hes coming from?

think ive posted here before, but building a premiership caliber team purely out of the draft is next to impossible now and the reality is fa / trade targets will pretty much always pick one of the big 4 or hawthorn before they choose st kilda or norf.

it does really ignore the elephant in the room that theres at least 2 too many clubs in melbourne and if we were serious about competitive balance, the priority would be folding or merging them rather than rejigging the way player movement / acquisition works to make them more competitive.

They're all going to come for us if we have sustained success just like in 2004.

Hopefully we took those lessons in.

Has he for one moment asked himself why Brisbane is successful now ? It's by doing the opposite of what St.Kilda has done.

Step 1. Have a club ,coaches and environment where good players can see a pathway for personal fulfilment and success.

St. Kilda ???.
Our club under Fagan should be the blue print for any struggling club to turn it around over 6-8 years. From basket case barely getting 15,000 fans to games and winning 3 games in a season to premiers and regularly selling out games.

The problem is impatience and not bringing in the foundation blocks to build on it year after year like we did through the key off field appointments, a combination of drafting and targeted trading / free agency (be it country boys, mates etc) and generally not wavering in our strategy.

Any club can do what we’ve done if you get it right. And here the Saints bring in this constant whinging nob as President, Ross Lyon, that bloke of ill repute from the AFL that no one would touch after having an affair with a much younger staffer, Gubby Allan, SOS etc. and yet they wonder why they’re still pathetic.

Where was this nuff Nuff when Collingwood drafted Daicos or the dogs drafted Ugle Hagen. The hypocrisy of the Melbourne clubs is breathtaking!

This is who we needed during the start up clubs era of taking all the top end talent when we were at the bottom.

Presenting such a calm, respectful argument about the inequality of the system.

Not.

Fagan arrived with a no excuses policy and built a place people want to come to. Maybe they should try that??

We've obviously been there but I don't think the whinging rhetoric helps. Might resonate with supporters but hard to sell recruits on your club when you spend all your time talking about how hard it is there.

Saints have botched that many draft picks its not funny.

We've obviously been there but I don't think the whinging rhetoric helps. Might resonate with supporters but hard to sell recruits on your club when you spend all your time talking about how hard it is there.

Also, they have lost 4 grand finals, which they could have won - 1971, 1997, 2009 and 2010. At least one of them would have made a difference. The Saints disco in the 1980s was best in the league though.

Their list is in no mans land because of the dreadful recruiting. By the time they recruit the youth for this rebuild their current guns in Sinclair (30 next year) and Steele (30 next year) will be finishing up. They have a couple of good young guys, but the cupboard is bare.

I also don't know why anyone would want to join that list profile via trade or FA unless its just to cash in on a big offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, not being able to keep Battle would be a blow. Although he was very poor when St Kilda played us this year.

They’ve spent the back half of the year telling any journo who will listen that he should be band 1 compo. Even leaked that their offer to him to stay was upwards of 900k to try pressure 5e hawks to up their offer.

Very happy to however pay us peanuts for Billy Longer when we were on our knees at the time.
I'll never forget the clubs that took their chance to screw us over, and their success has been very limited so far.

What a basket case of a club, forever embedded in failure.

More gold apparently on what St Kilda boss said

Tore into the AFL about the rich clubs and the northern clubs being favoured and us being there to make up the numbers.

Said he collared every commissioner of the AFL at the GF after halftime congratulating them on giving Brisbane the best player in the draft for free.

Said it was absolute rubbish and he is determined to push this through.

Kind of says something to me that they have never been able to attract the King from the Suns whose brother is at the club and grew up in local club to the Saints base in nearby Brighton. Perhaps as twins they want their own identity but geez it’s not like the Saints haven’t been trying since the moment he went up to GC.

Does he think the AFL introduced the Father-Son rule a week ago or something?

Victim mentality - beyond embarrassing.
Implying success is being given to clubs; per my post an hour ago, get your appointments right and you’ll get success. Whinge and carry on the way they do and they’ll continue to be nowhere.

Also picking Billing’s and McCartin over Petracca and Bont doesn’t help either, but I’m sure that’s someone else’s fault too?

Is that guy sick or something; who talks like that?

Very happy to however pay us peanuts for Billy Longer when we were on our knees at the time.
I'll never forget the clubs that took their chance to screw us over, and their success has been very limited so far.

What a basket case of a club, forever embedded in failure.

I wouldn’t hate on the saints for that one. As it turned out we got good value for longer from them. Pick 25 was a good return for someone they delisted. Never take ruckman high in the draft. Never ends well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back