Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I have many conflicting thoughts and feelings about this St Kilda thing.

There is some truth to his claims. The system benefits the rich and powerful Victorian clubs. There is a faint compensation given to the northern clubs via our academies. The NGA stuff benefits all Victorian clubs so it doesn’t address the power imbalance between the big victorians and the minnows. As a result, clubs like StKilda, North, and the Bulldogs are disadvantaged versus Collingwood, Carlton etc.

But that’s as far as my sympathy goes. The debate about a national league was on in earnest in the 1970’s. There were many proposals, but the Victorian clubs didn’t want a league, higher than the VFL. So they torpedoed every attempt to create a genuine National league and tried to colonise the other football states.

It was clear that this would be a death sentence for smaller Victorian clubs because you can’t have a national comp with 12 Victorian teams. But the muppets running those clubs didn’t seem to care. They knifed, south Melbourne, and then they knifed Fitzroy. But even 10 Victorian teams is too many. Clubs like StKilda, North, Footscray will reap what they have sown.

But… muppet boy in StKilda probably wasn’t even born when Aylet and co signed his club’s death warrant. So I still feel a little bit sorry for him.

Until he he takes aim at us. The other clubs which are disadvantaged by not being in Victoria, two of which were driven out of the state to survive.

Ah why bother… I’m too old for this rubbish.

Their list is in no mans land because of the dreadful recruiting. By the time they recruit the youth for this rebuild their current guns in Sinclair (30 next year) and Steele (30 next year) will be finishing up. They have a couple of good young guys, but the cupboard is bare.

I also don't know why anyone would want to join that list profile via trade or FA unless its just to cash in on a big offer.
So much this. I do feel for them in some way - they just are not a glamorous club. But I'd argue it's not because of their location. In fact, they really should be able to market themselves to players based on their locale.

Their problem is a history of poor administration and football staff. They've swung and missed on the few first round picks they've had in the last 10 years. They've overpaid for guys like Brad Hill who's talented, but just a winger and swung and miss on other trades like Hannebury. Then they've appointed a coach in Lyon who, while he can squeeze the best out of a list, doesn't seem like a coach who can inspire players to move clubs to play under hm.

No one gave a shit about the Lions when our players were leaving about 10 years ago, with most of the destination clubs screwing us over in pick returns. Most of the top draft picks during this time went to the Suns and GWS as well. It was a difficult time for everyone.
Never in the top 8 for one week for 8 years. Club was poorly run. However, we lowly but surely built up the back office, improved the culture, brought in Fagan and have improved every year. Our women's team is also excellently run and also give 100%.
Probably the most important thing for the Lions has won 4/6 grand finals. Equal number of AFL premierships with Geelong and WCE is an amazing achievement IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back