Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton is a AA caliber player in a side that is towards the pointy end of the ladder. He is the last player you want in a bottom end team. He is a cream on top player who front runs grunt work done by other players. He isn't going to generate it for you. I wouldn't be surprised if Botlon was someone Richmond actively don't want there next year, they don't seem to be putting up a huge fight to keep him.
Des Headland Mk 2.

Des Headland Mk 2.

Love Des and he was very funny at the function I went to grand final week last year that I went to where he loudly was saying he should never have left us...

But imo Bolton is the better player. 40 plus goals as a mid-forward is more impressive in 2024 than it is in 2002.

Love Des and he was very funny at the function I went to grand final week last year that I went to where he loudly was saying he should never have left us...

But imo Bolton is the better player. 40 plus goals as a mid-forward is more impressive in 2024 than it is in 2002.
In our side Bolton would be cream on the top unbeatable with 2 junkyard dogs in Lohman and Cal beside him.

But we've got Charlie and that's good enough for now.

Na .I know Dessie never reached his potential Dlanod and I'm no wrap for Richmond or anything to do with them but Bolton has scary capacities when he's on. Really pleased if he heads to a crap team.
Des came 6th in the Brownlow votes in his fourth year, only nine behind Black who won it. If he'd stuck with us for eight years like Bolton with Richmond, I reckon he'd quite possibly have nabbed one in there and even if not he'd be considered one of the elite mids of the time.

Des came 6th in the Brownlow votes in his fourth year, only nine behind Black who won it. If he'd stuck with us for eight years like Bolton with Richmond, I reckon he'd quite possibly have nabbed one in there and even if not he'd be considered one of the elite mids of the time.

Yup - missed the first 5 games too. Collingwood were that worried about him (after having 33 & 3 in the previous final), they tagged him in the GF. He was Brownlow favourite heading at the start of the 2003 season.

Goes to show what a player can do when their only focus is footy. Damn shame he went back - was always going to happen though.

Yeah true. Even in the flag year he was so green and just not attuned to what was required.

Another Couldabeen. He needed some savvy advice from someone experienced when he left us because that was his career done basically despite the impressive cameos he had at Freo.

No priority pick for the richest club in the comp imo. They are to blame for trading down in 2022 and missing out on sheezel or wardlaw to take Ginbey and Hewitt.
They traded down because Sheezel & Wardlaw told every non Victorian club they didn’t want to move away from Melbourne.

They traded down because Sheezel & Wardlaw told every non Victorian club they didn’t want to move away from Melbourne.

This is the stuff that really grinds my gears about the entire AFL system.
I know a lot of people get angry when commentators criticise our players, coaches or our team in general, but I don’t care about that. They can think what they like. It’s the scoreboard that matters.
But when the media constantly runs the Academy stories like they are a rort, and then barely even comment on stuff like this, it distorts the entire game.
This is why academies were created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A well run "Interstate" club should just ignore the don't want to leave Victoria talk from draftees and back in their system to turn that mindset around.

eg. Lions.

I don’t know, Malice. Losing young players really guts a club. If a player is adamant that they don’t want to leave home, you’re playing with fire spending a top end draft pick on him.

A well run "Interstate" club should just ignore the don't want to leave Victoria talk from draftees and back in their system to turn that mindset around.

eg. Lions.
GWS did that.
  • Adams
  • Boyd
  • McCarthy
  • Setterfield
  • Bonar
  • Bruhn
  • Langdon
  • Caldwell
  • Hately
  • Hill
All within either their draftee contract or their first extension.

They've been lucky that they had enough draft hits that they can keep topping up after those departures, but factoring in character/relationships/ability to move is a big part of the reason we've been a lot more stable in our team.

I don’t know, Malice. Losing young players really guts a club. If a player is adamant that they don’t want to leave home, you’re playing with fire spending a top end draft pick on him.

Even despite our organisation and track record, there have been draftees we've avoided due to this.

GWS did that.
  • Adams
  • Boyd
  • McCarthy
  • Setterfield
  • Bonar
  • Bruhn
  • Langdon
  • Caldwell
  • Hately
  • Hill

They've been lucky that they had enough draft hits that they can keep topping up after those departures, but factoring in character/relationships/ability to move is a big part of the reason we've been a lot more stable in our team.
I stand corrected.
1728854931406.png

And honestly, you’d find it hard to argue that this churn has cost GWS a flag or two.

They nail the draftees in terms of talent, unfortunately in terms of stickability, many of them are lacking.

eg. Lions.
Wouldn’t make any changes to the current system in place at the Lions.
It is working just fine!
We were close to losing Lohmann last year due to home sickness, sooooo glad he stuck around and gave it another shot.

F@rk me.
You are supposedly an adult who wants to be a highly paid professional athlete and you have 'decided' that you will only play for a club in your home state.
Professionals from any (every) other sport would reckon you must be takin' the p!ss

Wouldn’t make any changes to the current system in place at the Lions.
It is working just fine!
We were close to losing Lohmann last year due to home sickness, sooooo glad he stuck around and gave it another shot.
But Kai's pretty glad he hung around too.
He must look back now and chuckle about wanting to go home.

eg. Lions.
Let’s be honest, it’s only the precious top 10-15 VIC metro players that have this attitude probably because they’ve had parents, family, friends, coaches, schools telling them how special they are and pandering to their every need that they’ve developed this level of entitlement. The example on this topic when discussing this with people I know is the Ryan Lester / Noah Answerth type player that basically would’ve gone undrafted if they were so precious and special like these top rated kids with this attitude but I agree with your point.

GWS did that.
  • Adams
  • Boyd
  • McCarthy
  • Setterfield
  • Bonar
  • Bruhn
  • Langdon
  • Caldwell
  • Hately
  • Hill

Not sure we’ve had a more priceless reaction to being drafted than Bruhn when picked by the Giants.

F@rk me.
You are supposedly an adult who wants to be a highly paid professional athlete and you have 'decided' that you will only play for a club in your home state.
Professionals from any (every) other sport would reckon you must be takin' the p!ss
Yeah they wouldn’t last if they were a soccer player anywhere in the world or a US athlete playing literally any of there team sports. I’ve found it comical why Australian kids are so resistant to moving interstate tbh.

F@rk me.
Yet, the system tacitly allows this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back