Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Power at the Dogs again proving how difficult the Dogs are to deal with.

I know the Dogs fans think he is a deity of some kind, but trade period after trade period I think he disables them with his / their antics in that they just don't get on with shit.

If I’m reading this right, had the Eagles just accepted pick 14 for Barrass they could have passed that on for Baker and kept pick 3? Instead they need to downgrade pick 3 to 12 for the same result? That is absolutely diabolical
Barrass for Baker would have been a terrible trade, with no net gain in draft capital for WC anyway.

Doesn’t matter what they did this trade period, they were going to eat a 💩 sandwich.

Just no leverage with such a shallow list.

Last edited:
“I am hearing it was the board as much as anything at Port Adelaide,” Edmund told AFL Trade Radio.

“This had gone to board level, and the board might have said ‘no, this can’t be happening’.

“So, from a Port Adelaide perspective, (Jack) Lukosius in for a future first, (Joe) Richards in for 39, (Rory) Atkins for 58, and that meant that Dan Houston was being traded for 13, 29 and 36 — and the Power weren’t happy with that.”

OK… you’ve changed my mind… yeah, it’s not such a bad deal for Port.
Richards and Atkins are worth bugger all,
58 and 39 is too much IMO, but they are getting 36 back… Win.
13 and 29 for Houston isn’t far off.

Barrass for Baker would have been a terrible trade, with no net gain in draft capital for WC anyway.

Doesn’t matter what they did this trade period, they were goo to eat a 💩 sandwich.

How much do people think Baker is worth?
He’s contracted, yeah?
But Richmond wants the trade don’t they?
I’d assume late first or early second with some stake knives going one way or the other. 🤷‍♀️

I look like I am in the minority but IMO Liam Baker is a damn good footballer, not worth giving up such a high pick for though, as someone said earlier pick 3 can be transformative eg Hugh McCluggage.

How much do people think Baker is worth?
He’s contracted, yeah?
But Richmond wants the trade don’t they?
I’d assume late first or early second with some stake knives going one way or the other. 🤷‍♀️

Baker is not contracted.

I don't think walking players to PSD is that realistic if they are high profile (particularly because I think Baker doesn't want to burn bridges with Richmond), but if the cost of getting Baker is downgrading from pick 3 to pick 12 then it isn't worth it for West Coast. Owies could have been picked up as a DFA though!

Their cupboard is bare outside of Harley in terms of young talent. Still a bit of hope for Chesser and Hewett I guess, but Ginbey was very underwhelming.

Don't do the trade if it costs you pick 3. Don't muck around in the dealings re Barass leading to hawthorn trading pick 14 to Carlton meaning you were stuck with worse leverage.

Basically have to hold out for two future firsts for Barass now, which presumably they'd use to chase Warner. I think they'd have been better off with a net result of:

In: Baker, future second from Hawthorn (assuming they could get 14 plus a F2 for Barass)
Out: Barass

Now, they've downgraded from 3-12 and have to do brinksmanship hoping for what most think would be two late future 1s from Hawthorn and Carlton. If they end up having to give back a future pick to hawthorn to get the two F1s, then its an even worse deal.

Doesn’t matter what they did this trade period, they were going to eat a 💩 sandwich.

I agree but its a better trade than what they've ended up with.

The list strategy is just wrong. I know McQualter is the new coach but don't pursue baker, and take picks to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade period takes too long, and player contracts are also getting too long.
I would not mind if Buckleys suggestion in the below article got some momentum.
Players association may not be on board though.
Maybe it could slowly come in.

Set the salary ceiling as he suggested or another amount, but clubs can only do it within the city or state
Once again, a big advantage to Melbourne clubs but what isn't.
The player knowing it will happen in his city/state may then give permission for the club to go interstate.
At least in your own city/state you don't necessarily have to sell up and move.
For arguments sake a Dockers player did not want to go to the Eagles assuming the Eagles wanted said player
However, the player must give his okay for the club to look interstate, knowing that if he knocks it back, he will be going to Club x in his current state.
This can take place once your team is out of finals contention and concludes before trade week that is reduced to a 7-day period. Any players that the Clubs can't move but they prefer to move on can go into the trade week negotiations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back