Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Holocaust and 9/11 jokes aren't the same as rape jokes or racist jokes IMO (unless you're entertaining denialist fantasies). It's why I was specific in my original post.
The golden rule with Comedy is "where's the joke?". With Cosby or Weinstein, the joke is very clearly on the person - they're a fraction of a human that they can think those acts are OK. The victims are not the

I don't mind jokes that push the realms of bad taste or have a problem sifting through the nuance of a joke to find what's funny to me. It's why I can still sift through old Eddie Murphy, Rodney Rude and 12th Man recordings and get the occasional chuckle. I can still watch a Kevin Spacey film and appreciate his acting skills without conflating his actions away from the screen. To be honest, I'm not even offended by the twin towers bit and a small part of me would have like to see how it looked to see if it actually was funny (I don't really see it, but visual gags are sometimes that way).

But the moment the joke was not about Hayne, but his victim (according to the reports of what occurred), was the moment it wasn't funny (and the odds are it was borderline in the first place). Because it was about the act and it was implying the joke was on the girl. That she were the one that deserves to be made fun of.

I'm not surprised, but I'm still struggling to see why some don't see that.

The golden rule with Comedy is "where's the joke?". With Cosby or Weinstein, the joke is very clearly on the person - they're a fraction of a human that they can think those acts are OK. The victims are not the

I don't mind jokes that push the realms of bad taste or have a problem sifting through the nuance of a joke to find what's funny to me. It's why I can still sift through old Eddie Murphy, Rodney Rude and 12th Man recordings and get the occasional chuckle. I can still watch a Kevin Spacey film and appreciate his acting skills without conflating his actions away from the screen. To be honest, I'm not even offended by the twin towers bit and a small part of me would have like to see how it looked to see if it actually was funny (I don't really see it, but visual gags are sometimes that way).

But the moment the joke was not about Hayne, but his victim (according to the reports of what occurred), was the moment it wasn't funny (and the odds are it was borderline in the first place). Because it was about the act and it was implying the joke was on the girl. That she were the one that deserves to be made fun of.

I'm not surprised, but I'm still struggling to see why some don't see that.
If it's as you describe it's not funny and obviously others thought that.

I don't see how any joke about the Holocaust could be funny in whatever way it was portrayed. Period.

Finally Matt Rosa is getting some clear air to do what he wants to do

Dodoro really went for that one last gold star in 2023 trading period playing russian roulette with Essendon list. Loaded them up with Goldstein, Duursma, Gresham, McKay. Whatever $$ is locked up against these 4, no idea. But Rosa can slowly unpick the list now and start shaping it in a way he's happy to build it.

Quiet is good for Bombers for a change, not to mention they got rid of Nick Hind and Jake Stringer in one go.

Finally Matt Rosa is getting some clear air to do what he wants to do

Dodoro really went for that one last gold star in 2023 trading period playing russian roulette with Essendon list. Loaded them up with Goldstein, Duursma, Gresham, McKay. Whatever $$ is locked up against these 4, no idea. But Rosa can slowly unpick the list now and start shaping it in a way he's happy to build it.

Quiet is good for Bombers for a change, not to mention they got rid of Nick Hind and Jake Stringer in one go.

McKay was the second highest paid player in the league this year

Hard to argue with that sentiment about later picks; a few that spring to mind include Lester, Oscar, Zorko at the Lions, but with this recent talk about the precious elite players not wanting to leave Melbourne (Scheezel, Bailey Smith, Archie Smith and a few others) and their entitlement, I get why comments like this are made.

Hard to argue with that sentiment about later picks; a few that spring to mind include Lester, Oscar, Zorko at the Lions, but with this recent talk about the precious elite players not wanting to leave Melbourne (Scheezel, Bailey Smith, Archie Smith and a few others) and their entitlement, I get why comments like this are made.

Generalisations will always be just that, with cherry picked examples that support whichever line is taken.
I'm sure we could find numerous examples of high draft picks with laudable character and vice versa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back