Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say that either of those boys would have the trouble with skinfolds to need to take it so I'm not completely close minded to the idea of contamination.

Was said tonight that they were tested after a team trip to NZL and that they'll likely argue contamination. But it was pointed out the strict regulations regarding imported meats etc so I'm assuming they'd of had to be really unlucky. Going to be a mammoth effort to prove the contamination me thinks.

If Collingwood have any other offenders (PEDs or illicit drugs) they're in trouble because under the AFL's policy if two players from one team test positive, the whole team gets target tested hard for a year.

NZ beef industry saying there is no way it was in their meat as the drug is only used on racehorses in Australia and NZ.

These boys careers could be over.

If Collingwood have any other offenders (PEDs or illicit drugs) they're in trouble because under the AFL's policy if two players from one team test positive, the whole team gets target tested hard for a year.
Ruh roh. They'll have to think hard about whether or not they'll want to be Swanning around the place taking whenever they please.

NZ beef industry saying there is no way it was in their meat as the drug is only used on racehorses in Australia and NZ.

These boys careers could be over.

They didn't have any meat pies, did they?

On a more serious note, you're pretty much screwed trying to prove contaminated meat if it's from a major Western country. Contador tried but failed because he was claiming it came from Spain, which has end to end documentation and demonstrated that it was not possible - countries don't like it when you claim their meat is contaminated. Go figure.

Trying to pin it on Australian or NZ beef would be even harder because of the crazy-strict food regime we have here compared to the rest of the world, as its "purity" is one of the selling points overseas. Rogers had more luck because he was in China, and China does have a history of meat contaminated with this substance, but if they haven't eaten Chinese beef (unlikely without actually travelling there) or Mexico (apparently contaminated beef has turned up there as well, though I'm less aware of their situation) they're in deep shit.

Yeah, great defence - "they aren't all clean but these guys are". I think Buckley would be well advised to keep the gob shut. And good to see Eddie is already playing to form - the old "we'll throw them out unless there are extenuating circumstances" is classic Eddie. Shame it's not his call.

Yeah, great defence - "they aren't all clean but these guys are". I think Buckley would be well advised to keep the gob shut. And good to see Eddie is already playing to form - the old "we'll throw them out unless there are extenuating circumstances" is classic Eddie. Shame it's not his call.
It's the usual "only a couple of nobodies doping because they're not as good as everyone else" thing. No, one else could possibly be doing this.

Ecstasy for example.
Musing out loud: It'll be interesting (big) if recreational drugs are the cause. The AFL's three strikes policy would definitely come strongly under the spotlight as it could be argued it promotes a 'oh, even in the unlikely event we get caught, we won't get pinged' attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the possible defence are, in order of merit:
1. I'm an asthma sufferer and was prescribed it;
2. While in NZ I ate contaminated meat (imported from Mexico or China);
3. I didn't knowingly take a performance enhancing drug - someone spiked my coke.
4. I'm certifiable.

If it's from recreational drugs, am I right in thinking it doesn't mattter, they would still get done for 2 years or whatever the penalty is for clenbuterol?

Musing out loud: It'll be interesting (big) if recreational drugs are the cause. The AFL's three strikes policy would definitely come strongly under the spotlight as it could be argued it promotes a 'oh, even in the unlikely event we get caught, we won't get pinged' attitude.

Very appropriate!

2. While in NZ I ate contaminated meat (imported from Mexico or China);
3. I didn't knowingly take a performance enhancing drug - someone spiked my coke.
4. I'm certifiable.

Whats the deal with this defence though. If you suffer from asthma for instance and take a medication that contains prohibited substances where there was an equally effective alternative medication which did not contain the substance, is your defence still sustainable?

It's not approved for human use in Australia (Salbutamol is), so if that excuse is the best they can come up with, they're screwed.

You'd think they'd have got pinged initially...

If I was a betting man, I'd say they're done.

Eddie has already said they'll be sacked if found guilty.

Can't see where they can prove they didn't take it knowingly.

If I was a betting man, I'd say they're done.

Eddie has already said they'll be sacked if found guilty.

Can't see where they can prove they didn't take it knowingly.
If they are guilty I don't see Eddie getting a say in it.

If they are guilty I don't see Eddie getting a say in it.

Yep, easy to come out and talk about heavy consequences when the outcome is both certain, and out of your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back