Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not intending to offend any religious folk here, but isn't it about time we had footy on "good Friday"?
I don't want to get rid of easter (I think of it more as a 'Festival Of The Egg', than a religious holiday (mmm hollandaise)), but the whole easter experience is just a traditional period of time off.
What percentage of the nation observes the true, full meaning of this weekend? I don't mean people who just won't eat red meat today, "because that's how we were raised", I mean true believers who will pray and go to church, embracing the significance of the occasion.
That in mind, isn't it time we followed the lead of the NRL and welcomed the extra days off to capitalise on the 4 day weekend? Even from a commercial point of view, isn't it better to have games across the whole weekend? The sports mad will watch rugby league this afternoon because there's no footy on. What a lost opportunity and a free kick to the opposition, all in the name of some misguided, imagined moral high ground.

It just seems really, really odd, as I know no-one, no-one, that is so religious that they'll observe easter's true meaning, yet we, as a nation, cannot go to the shops, buy a beer, or watch football, for the sake of a few who wouldn't be doing that anyway.:confused:

Pretty sure some VIC metro and country leagues have Good Friday footy - not sure about Qld.

It just seems really, really odd, as I know no-one, no-one, that is so religious that they'll observe easter's true meaning, yet we, as a nation, cannot go to the shops, buy a beer, or watch football, for the sake of a few who wouldn't be doing that anyway.:confused:

Agree with this. Good Friday and Easter as a whole is just a public holiday + long weekend to me and most people I know. If anything ANZAC Day has more meaning historically for us to possibly "close up shop" and reflect on the actual importance of the day as a nation but ironically it is seen as the biggest day for AFL after the GF.

Is AFL the only sport still not playing? The A-League and NRL both have games today. J-League and NBA too will keep me entertained but reckon next year AFL should definitely play on Good Friday.

I'm not intending to offend any religious folk here, but isn't it about time we had footy on "good Friday"?
I don't want to get rid of easter (I think of it more as a 'Festival Of The Egg', than a religious holiday (mmm hollandaise)), but the whole easter experience is just a traditional period of time off.
What percentage of the nation observes the true, full meaning of this weekend? I don't mean people who just won't eat red meat today, "because that's how we were raised", I mean true believers who will pray and go to church, embracing the significance of the occasion.
That in mind, isn't it time we followed the lead of the NRL and welcomed the extra days off to capitalise on the 4 day weekend? Even from a commercial point of view, isn't it better to have games across the whole weekend? The sports mad will watch rugby league this afternoon because there's no footy on. What a lost opportunity and a free kick to the opposition, all in the name of some misguided, imagined moral high ground.

They've all but confirmed there will be next yeat

Agree with this. Good Friday and Easter as a whole is just a public holiday + long weekend to me and most people I know. If anything ANZAC Day has more meaning historically for us to possibly "close up shop" and reflect on the actual importance of the day as a nation but ironically it is seen as the biggest day for AFL after the GF.

Is AFL the only sport still not playing? The A-League and NRL both have games today. J-League and NBA too will keep me entertained but reckon next year AFL should definitely play on Good Friday.
Was just thinking the same. Far more important to me, and many others, but I liken ANZAC day to a funeral. Like any funeral, it is about paying respect, remembering and contemplation. After any good funeral though, comes a wake, where lives are celebrated and we enjoy what should be enjoyed, and so it is. Quite unlike some religious events that seem to be about misery and going without.

I imagine the theory, and tradition behind Good Friday closures and non-events, is that like Xmas day, it is a very significant day for believers and no believers should have to work on their religious day, much easier to close everything. That is of course, a ridiculously dated concept, not to mention highly discriminatory. It ignores other religions and places way too much importance on religion in general, over others' personal beliefs. Others might feel their own birthday or the anniversary of the death of a loved one, the most important day of the year. We are unable to celebrate those personal days without penalty. People should have a legal right to trade religious public holidays for any day of their choosing.

It has always been time. It's such a useless act of pandering by the AFL.

The Thursday game sparks the footy appetite and then bang... nothing the next day. It's ridiculous.
I could see an argument for it 60 years ago, when people, families went to church, if not as believers, at least as a matter of convention and the nation was largely ignorant of other religions, let alone accepting of them.
It is convenient that there are days of the year that 'we' claim as days of importance and stop working, but I'd like someone to be working on my days off to enhance that experience.;)

Couldn't agree more Skoob.:thumbsu:

....my religion is being totally ignored today, so I have to do dull, boring housework!

It's discrimination and I'm offended I tells ya.

p.s Would be a great day to have the state teams play, particularly the Rugby states........Lions/Suns.....Swans/Giants

Jesus turned water into wine, so I don't understand why bottleshops are shut on Good Friday either... Footy on the Friday would definitely help to start Zombie Jesus weekend a little better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-03/carlton-recruits-strut-stuff-in-vfl-hitout

Carlton's VFL affiliate, with at least half a dozen senior listed players, lost to Hawthorn's VFL affiliate, with no senior listed players, by five goals.

This drives home two things.

1. Carlton have some problems.
2. The gap between the VFL and the NEAFL is immeasurable. Can you imagine any of the AFL-affiliated teams winning a game without fielding a single senior-listed player?

Carlton has massive problems. Part of the issue is that their midfield lacks depth and lacks youth. That impacts both on their current form and their future prospects.

The other thing is that they seem to have a lot of blokes who don't perform consistently. Guys like Yarran have the ability to play at an elite standard but don't do it often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back